General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Friend Down... Beware of Bambi

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I disagree regarding the "population control". How about population control for humans? Maybe we should open a hunting season so we could kill some off. We took their land and homes and push the surviving numbers together in a smaller area and then we say they're over populated so we open additional seasons to kill them.

If we take all of their land away, we have to expect them to over flow onto our land...which used to be theirs. That's like down here, in Florida, where we develop all of the land where Alligators used to live and then we say that Alligators are a problem and are over populated. That is just ****ed up! The deer didn't kill anyone, we took their land and killed them. The population is over flow from our take over and your friend getting hit is collateral damage that we caused. It's our fault, not the deer.

How about population control for humans? We do its is called 'war', although by your views posted it would seem you have never served.

Think your rant for the most part is BS, but the last part in bold really takes the cake (And I realize we all have our own opinions and are entitled to them but ...)

And to the OP...hope your friend and his wife make a full recovery.

Last edited by panz4ever; 07-11-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY

One observation is I never see a deer attempt to cross when I'm driving the truck. The chevy v8 with duel glass packs maybe detours them because of the noise. Maybe loud pipes do save lives.....or scare deer away.
I agree, this is probably the ONE time when I say that loud pipes do save lives. At dusk or night, I try to vary the throttle a lot to avoid just one steady "hum" and I KNOW that gets their attention. This spring I saw about 4 youngins' trotting towards the road one evening and when they heard my bike revving up & down, they immediately stopped and turned around.

Even still, I've always considered deer to be one of those things that you really have very little control over when riding.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
They need to move the deer crossing signs like this lady wants:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ACCD96FD7E637D
Damn woman is dense. The world is full of these folks...

Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Klarick
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I disagree regarding the "population control". How about population control for humans? Maybe we should open a hunting season so we could kill some off. We took their land and homes and push the surviving numbers together in a smaller area and then we say they're over populated so we open additional seasons to kill them.

If we take all of their land away, we have to expect them to over flow onto our land...which used to be theirs. That's like down here, in Florida, where we develop all of the land where Alligators used to live and then we say that Alligators are a problem and are over populated. That is just ****ed up! The deer didn't kill anyone, we took their land and killed them. The population is over flow from our take over and your friend getting hit is collateral damage that we caused. It's our fault, not the deer.
This very well may be the most ignorant BS I have ever read on any forum.

Wow, just wow.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Very sorry to hear about your friends accident. I have ridden that stretch many times. I hope they recover fully, both physically and mentally. The whole deer issue is such a crapshoot that you have very little, if any, control over. I can't blame you at all for staying off the bike for awhile, I would certainly feel the same way.

I just can't even imagine what you are going through...

Old 07-11-2014, 01:57 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Klarick
This very well may be the most ignorant BS I have ever read on any forum.

Wow, just wow.
HAHA, clearly you haven't read some of my posts because certain members here would say that I hold that distinction!

Regardless, other than OP's buddy & wife being collateral damage, he kind of has a point about over population in some areas. You can't continue shrinking their available land and then not expect them to not seek new area or "watering holes", etc.

To me, the biggest oddity is the time of day that it happened is not when they're usually up & moving around. I'd imagine that something must have spooked him.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope your friends heal soon and completely. Take your time get a little time in the woods with your buddy for payback. Backstraps are tasty.

Open the seasons up wide I love the taste but would gladly stick with fenced up critters if these deer were gone.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,731 Likes on 9,233 Posts

I see them on a regular basis.... scare the crap out of me each, and everytime. Had one jump out in front of me the other day, which was bad enough, but his buddy just kept walking the white line. Had to slow to a stop before it finally bounded off into the woods. Freakin hate em.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I agree, this is probably the ONE time when I say that loud pipes do save lives. At dusk or night, I try to vary the throttle a lot to avoid just one steady "hum" and I KNOW that gets their attention. This spring I saw about 4 youngins' trotting towards the road one evening and when they heard my bike revving up & down, they immediately stopped and turned around.

Even still, I've always considered deer to be one of those things that you really have very little control over when riding.
I agree 100%. I realized this years ago after joining the local fir department. One streach of road we traveled very often runs between an apple orchard and a marsh/lake - there are ALWAYS deer on this road - when we went through there with the siren blaring, we NEVER saw a deer. I do the same thing during prime time when I ride - a little extra noise by varying the throttle.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,453 Likes on 7,207 Posts

I hope your friend and his wife make a quick recovery. This is my first year of riding motorcycles on the streets, and deer scare the crap out of me. I didn't have my license two weeks when a small baby burst out of the weeds and ran across my path. It happened so fast, but I swear that little guy couldn't have been more than a foot from my front tire. I can honestly admit there was no skill in avoiding it. Pure luck on my part. You can bet that the closer the woods or brush is to the road, the slower I go and more focused I am.

Quick Reply: Best Friend Down... Beware of Bambi