General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half helmet debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
I currently have a HD Half helmet which I'm comfortable with but I have that "Mushroom head" that biker's talk about. I've searched for a replacement and have come across 2 half helmets I like. One is a Skid Lid Half Flat Black Street Rod Helmet Model U-69. The other is a Harley- Davidson Reaper Skull Hybird Ultra Light Model # 97225-14VM. The Harley helmet is considerably more than the Skid Lid. But does the Harley offer any more protection?

Didn't read all the replies --- except the 1st one after you posted. Don't buy either one of these. I did, thinking I'd get rid of the mushroom head, but they were still the same thing. (Gotta admit, the Harley helmet was the best.) Like #2 says, get an AK88. I just got one, and it's the only non-mushroomhead helmet that I've ever had on that's DOT. It's great. My hat size is 27 1/4, and I went with M, and it's perfect. Look at hogshoppe website. There's a size scale on there. My head size was the largest dimensions to still get M, but I'm glad I got M. Hogshoppe is in NY. Akoury website is Canada.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Picked up an Akoury Ak88 a few weeks ago and love it. It is low profile and light, more so than any helmet I've seen in person. Almost as great is the strap design, love the way it ratchets closed for a perfect fit.

I wanted the AK1, but they were back ordered too long. But very satisfied with the AK88.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Do you guys get matching purses to go with these stylish helmets? What shade of lipstick do you wear?
So appearance is never a factor for you when choosing riding gear? NEVER? ...lol...sure...

Don't like the topic, bro? Don't read the thread.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:57 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
So appearance is never a factor for you when choosing riding gear? NEVER? ...lol...sure...
nope. I picked up a pink helmet on sale and it works great.

Originally Posted by NSR
Gee Wally, thanks for the advice. Maybe you and Eddie Haskell can go brown nose someone.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Didn't read all the replies --- except the 1st one after you posted. Don't buy either one of these. I did, thinking I'd get rid of the mushroom head, but they were still the same thing. (Gotta admit, the Harley helmet was the best.) Like #2 says, get an AK88. I just got one, and it's the only non-mushroomhead helmet that I've ever had on that's DOT. It's great. My hat size is 27 1/4, and I went with M, and it's perfect. Look at hogshoppe website. There's a size scale on there. My head size was the largest dimensions to still get M, but I'm glad I got M. Hogshoppe is in NY. Akoury website is Canada.

So after following my thread I determined that the 1) Akoury 88 is probably the best fitting (looking) half helmet out there. And 2) half helmets (like I didn't know this) only provide minimal protection. So for cranium protection I'll stick with my full face AFX...Now that I got the "ought to's" out of the way I dropped coin on Leather Up's Outlaw T-68 Skull Cap Half. For the price, style & fit IMO you can't beat it!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
How about Skid Lid? They seem just as low profile and my local Cycle Gear carries them. http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=skid%20lid&asug=

Skid Lid's just as "mushroomy" as all the other ones. I tried one, and sent it back. A few others too --- Daytona, Skid Lid, Outlaw --- everything was just as bad. If you're looking for the "non-mushroom" half helmet, gotta go with AK88. I'll get another one when I need a new half helmet.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Do you guys get matching purses to go with these stylish helmets? What shade of lipstick do you wear?
Heh. Didn't know that it wasn't up to your standards when I bought it. I'll call right now for an RMA.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR

Function is more important than appearance. Why I wear a full face. More protective and more comfortable at speed. If the mushroom head thing is that important to you, just buy an XS helmet and dig the foam out of it so it will fit your head.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Function is more important than appearance. Why I wear a full face. More protective and more comfortable at speed. If the mushroom head thing is that important to you, just buy an XS helmet and dig the foam out of it so it will fit your head.
All I'm saying is that appearance and styling is a factor when making a decision on any purchase. If it wasn't, we'd all have the same bike, helmet, gloves ... the same everything...

We all have different priorities and tastes that guide us. Ain't freedom great?

I have a FF that I sometimes use on longer rides or of it's cold or whatever. I picked the one I have because it's FF and I like the way it looks.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AK 88 Replica made by same manufacture Especially for Al's Biker Gear

Attached Thumbnails Half helmet debate-c-al.jpg  

Quick Reply: Half helmet debate