General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post: Which model... Road King Classic or Super Glide Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 AM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First post: Which model... Road King Classic or Super Glide Custom?

I do have an Ultra Glide, but an Ultra is the most expensive Harley produced.

By the way, I rarely ever use the cruise control, unless it's a lonnnnnggg ride.

edit: Well, Dave edited his post above, and so mine doesn't make much sense now. His original post suggested buying an Ultra, because it was cheaper than the Road King. Simple mistake, I assume.

And, for that, I agree with Dave. I'd go with the EG Classic over either, or most other Harley makes. In fact, the EG Classic is one of the best Harley values out there, imo. Full fairing, hard bags, tour pack, cd and radio, comfortable seat and handlebars stock, etc, and as cheap as, or cheaper than the Road King. Sounds like a deal to me.

Or, strip it all down, and you have a streetglide.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Mr. VonZipper,

Have to agree with you here. I would get an EG Classic. That being said, if the choice is justbetween a RK or a Super Glide I would get the RK. Especially since he indicated that 70% of his riding would be highway. If the RK is the choice, get the standard. Locking bags, non wire wheels, etc.

I got the profile wire wheels on my EG Classic and have felt it wasa mistake. I would trade for a set of stock Street Glide wheels in a minute.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

IMHO, your decision needs to seriously consider the type of riding that you do, whether you tour for days on end, whether you ride solo or two up, how much 'stuff' you and/or your passenger like to take. Ride 'em both, and see for yourself. The best $$$ you can spend is to go rent both the bikes for a day or two...Then make the decision

I've got a 93 FLHS (Harley introduced the RK in 94 and eliminated the ElectraGlide Sport that year), but it's pretty much the same genre bike as the RK. I'd prefer a smaller, lighter bike for bar hopping and general around town use. But...Get out on the Interstates or US highways, two up, with luggage....I like the Electraglide. WhenThe MoCo finally builds that watercooled Ultra...I'll be looking seriously at getting one.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to add all that stuff to a Dyna, then yeah, you might as well buy a RK. It's like buying a Fat Boy and then adding so much stuff to it, it looks like a Heritage, but with a different front fender.........why wouldn't you just buy the Heritage in the first place and save some money (or in your case, a Road King). By the time you put everything on the Dyna, you'll have spent too much and will end up losing that $1800 that you are saving, when it comes time to sell it (because you won't get anything for the accessories)

Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM
DAVE12345
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

If you're going to add all that stuff to a Dyna, then yeah, you might as well buy a RK. It's like buying a Fat Boy and then adding so much stuff to it, it looks like a Heritage, but with a different front fender.........why wouldn't you just buy the Heritage in the first place and save some money (or in your case, a Road King). By the time you put everything on the Dyna, you'll have spent too much and will end up losing that $1800 that you are saving, when it comes time to sell it (because you won't get anything for the accessories)
That is why the man should go with the elec glide classic. back case 650.00, detachable mounts 175, Radio am/fm cd/cb 800.00, sissy bar with detachable mount $225.00 if the mans adds all the items to the RK that he wants he will spending a hell alot more money that he would never get back from a dealer if he wants to trade in for an upgrade. He gets the elec glide class the valve is there

Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmmmmm

Softail Fatboy or SE Springer

niener niener :P

Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehe anyways figured i'd ask..

On the Road King Standard.. has dual disk front brake roters? are they worth while or just for looks?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 PM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Electra-Glide or if you can afford it Ultra.

I rode a CVO Ultra in Daytona. I still get a chubby when I think about it.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Thorns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way you will be happy with your decision is to rent each bike for a day. Might cost you a couple hundred, but then you won't be asking anyone which one either. They are two very different rides.

Thorns

Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the posts!

I already rode the Super Glide Custom and will ride the RK Classic in the next few weeks.

My eye doc has a 2003 Electra Glide (don't know the model), Twin Cam Motor, fuel injection, 3000 miles, immaculate, loaded, three windshields, multiple bag combos, filler strips, CD/stereo, lay down tail lens/license plate, new Vanson Hines pipes, stage 1 kit, all black anniversary...

He wants 17K.

Your thoughts as to what it's worth?

I'm listening to the EG.

Quick Reply: First post: Which model... Road King Classic or Super Glide Custom?