General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illinois Considering New License Requirements for "Big" Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:22 PM
1ngryfishrmn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
Most fatal crashes are motorcyclists running off the road and striking something.
Most fatal crashes are big motorcycles.

Small bikes are easier to maneuver or you sissies wouldn't be borrowing them to take your test in the first place.
Where are you getting these statistics that say that most fatal motorcycle accidents are on larger bikes? I have a friend who was a motorcycle cop for years and rides Harleys with me today. He tells me that most of the fatal motorcycle accidents he dealt with on the job involved smaller, faster, crotch rocket type motorcycles, and usually involved excessive speed or unsafe maneuvers.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upflying
BTW, how is that strict gun control legislation doing in Chicago?
They save a lot of lives....for the criminals

Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Dirty Dye
5th Gear

I live in Illinois and it really doesnt inconvenience me (as a rider) at all, nor do i see what the commotion is about. The thing that makes no sense to me is why the course is the exact same for someone getting a scooter license on their 50cc scooter and someone taking the motorcycle test on any bigger bike. I passed the course on my streetbob somehow, but even the lady at the DMV said the test is designed for people on a scooter. I understand why they would prefer a person to start on a smaller bike and graduate up to whatever, but give me a break.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
tr1099
6th Gear

As long as the tier classification does not cost anymore than any other, that way we know it is not just a revenue generator like so many other fees and licenses Illinois has. Anyone can train and learn to handle any piece of equipment and to show you know how to use that piece of equipment is a normal part of certifying.

Last edited by tr1099; 08-12-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: errors
Old 09-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Statement that motorcycle fatalities since 2009 have been on the increase. False. The data collected on motorcycle fatalities provides evidence that motorcycle fatalities when expressed as a percentage of all registered motorcyclists have been declining. Most recently IDOT has released data that overall fatalities in IL are down 30% for Jan to July 2014 when compared to the same period in 2013.

Tiered licensing systems exist in Europe. There is no data or evidence to date that suggests tiered license systems create a more safe motorcycling environment.

Most important point is that this is a discussion about potential legislation in Illinois. Although Illinois is a state totally screwed up fiscally by long standing Cook County political practice Illinois is also home of ABATE of Illinois. One of the most, if not strongest state MROs in the US. This legislation will not fly in IL. Simply not going to happen.

Ride Free,

Bones