General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone actually own a 500 or 750 Street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:52 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Part of the MSF course was being able to lock up the rear and do a controlled slide to a stop.
When did you take the MSF course? I don't think locking up the rear and doing a controlled slide has ever been part of the curriculum; definitely not in the last 10 years or more.

Last edited by dsigrist; 07-27-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,687 Posts

...Part of the MSF course was being able to lock up the rear and do a controlled slide to a stop...
Originally Posted by dsigrist
When did you take the MSF course? I don't think locking up the rear and doing a controlled slide has never been part of the curriculum; definitely not in the last 10 years or more.
It is not part of the MSF course. They teach you how to do maximum effort braking WITHOUT skidding the rear tire. The idea of trying to teach newbie riders to ride out a locked up rear tire skid is simply absurd.

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
... Except if it's a rear tire skid and you want to maybe avoid a high-side...
Inexperienced riders who fail to release and reapply the brakes almost always WILL high side. Almost no inexperienced riders are capable of riding out a slide to a complete stop. Somewhere in there they let off the brake, and then, boom. Launch.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 07-26-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:56 AM
jusa
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I just wonder why MOCO didn't design Street models more this way. They'd sell like hot cakes. Maybe 2018...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...at-Tracker.htm

The following users liked this post:
tlaw (08-04-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigrist
When did you take the MSF course? I don't think locking up the rear and doing a controlled slide has never been part of the curriculum; definitely not in the last 10 years or more.
19 years ago. They had you get up to speed and lock the rear wheel in a controlled slide. It was to teach people how to ride it out correctly if they did lock it up. You can easily lock the rear up if you hit a patch of something slick. Even easier to do on a sportbike where the weight is biased towards the front compared to a cruiser.

http://www.kerstingscycle.com/--learn-to-ride

Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
That's part of the BRC that's a generic listing on different HD dealers websites. That's not even MSF.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Missexeccph
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a 750 and love the Cafe Racer style. It's a pretty awesome ride especially for new riders like I am. I am one of the Ladies of Harley and not strong enough to maneuver a heavier motorcycle. I'm customizing the 750 and it's currently being powder-coated and painted. HDMC introduced the affordable model to target new riders who likely would buy bigger bikes in the future.

Last edited by Missexeccph; 11-20-2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

Inexperienced riders who fail to release and reapply the brakes almost always WILL high side. Almost no inexperienced riders are capable of riding out a slide to a complete stop. Somewhere in there they let off the brake, and then, boom. Launch.

The absolute BEST way to high side a bike is to suddenly reapply traction where there previously was none and the bike is out of alignment either from spinning the tire or skidding. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to argue here because you're contradicting yourself.

I've been sideways are 80+MPH on a 220RWHP bike about 150ft down the track when I got out of the groove. Had I let of the throttle to stop the tire spin they would have picked me and my bike up either smushed against the wall over over it. Same goes for a rear tire locking up, if you aren't aligned when you release that brake and suddenly you have traction it's going to throw you for a loop.

And yes, we locked tires when I took MSF 20 years ago at Coastal Carolina Community College.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
The absolute BEST way to high side a bike is to suddenly reapply traction where there previously was none and the bike is out of alignment either from spinning the tire or skidding. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to argue here because you're contradicting yourself.

I've been sideways are 80+MPH on a 220RWHP bike about 150ft down the track when I got out of the groove. Had I let of the throttle to stop the tire spin they would have picked me and my bike up either smushed against the wall over over it. Same goes for a rear tire locking up, if you aren't aligned when you release that brake and suddenly you have traction it's going to throw you for a loop.

And yes, we locked tires when I took MSF 20 years ago at Coastal Carolina Community College.
I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I'm not talking about 220rwhp drag bikes. And nobody else is, either.

And I'm not talking about hanging on to a skid until you're 30 degrees off line. I'm talking about the definition of the word "immediately". If you wait until you're sideways, it's too late, you f**ed up, and your only option is to try to ride it out.

As soon as you realize the rear wheel is skidding, immediately release and reapply.

That is the correct thing to do. Period.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I've seen them in the Craigslist ads(usually with very low miles).But never on the road...

Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I doubt that. Unless you're talking like a CB 1000 and not a CBR 1000.
I wasn't gonna say it Village but you're right. The only people who would say a Street 750 could keep up with Japanese liter bike on a track has never ridden one. Most "Harley Only" folks believe that a 600, 750 or 1000cc super sport is as far from an AMA Superbike as a current Chevy is from a NASCAR car. It just isn't so; those bike produce ungodly amounts of power and work better than anything for sport riding and the occasional track day.

All that said, I think the 500 and 750 Streets are a great idea. But not in my lifetime will one spank or even keep up with a well ridden 600 super sport.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I wasn't gonna say it Village but you're right. The only people who would say a Street 750 could keep up with Japanese liter bike on a track has never ridden one. Most "Harley Only" folks believe that a 600, 750 or 1000cc super sport is as far from an AMA Superbike as a current Chevy is from a NASCAR car. It just isn't so; those bike produce ungodly amounts of power and work better than anything for sport riding and the occasional track day.

All that said, I think the 500 and 750 Streets are a great idea. But not in my lifetime will one spank or even keep up with a well ridden 600 super sport.
Same rider with at least some degree of skill on a motorcycle on the same bike will be faster on the sportbike. Even with a 600 it's probably close to almost double the HP and TQ, so just hitting a straight and hitting a throttle will leave the 750 behind. Not to mention, you can easily hit 150+ on a decent front straight. My R6 was at 157mph indicated on the front straight of Summit Point WV before I had to break for turn 1. Then the turning ability would be better just by clearance alone, I would venture to guess.

It's not a bad bike, but it's no superbike.

It leaves me wondering what the fate of the sportster will be with the rumors of the new HD big twin motor and the streets making as much if not more power with a smaller motor. The Sportster hasn't had a significant motor upgrade in over a decade, IIRC. Almost two as '88 was when the 1200 was introduced. Rubber mounting it doesn't count either.

Quick Reply: Does anyone actually own a 500 or 750 Street?