General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you almost screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 AM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I hope you find what you're looking for. But it seems the '09 has special meaning for your wife. That right there is something to chew on for a while.
When We got together I told her if I could have the bike I wanted it would be an RK with laced spokes and apes on it. The 09 is the one she found. At the time it had 3500 miles on it and they were asking 19900 for it. I bought the Electra Glide to give her a better ride because she has come back problems. The 07 Custom we were marries on had a sissybar but for that year it barley cleared the seat. the Electra Glide offered more real estate with the stretched frame and it also had the tourpak for support for her. Unfortunately there were three instances involving those not paying attention in 4 wheels that shut her down from riding with me. All turned out good at the end of the day, but she was scared of that bike. So I was in Little Rock and they had moved the 09 there and dropped the price 4400. My wife was flying in from California and I could do it so I traded the Electra Glide in on the 09. Here folks were meeting her at the airport so I road up there and when she saw the bike she was all smiles and road home with me.

The reason I was going to trade both bikes in and downsize to 1 is because I bought my wife house and property the end of March. The first she has ever had. The bills are all payed but not as much left on payday as there was. So the trade would have knocked a bike off the insurance and killed a payment. No big deal though because in 7 months a few bills will pay off and the current bite into the budget will be gone.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM
BC72067
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EP50
You running synthetic or conventional oil in your bikes?
Synthetic.

The tourpak on the 09 was a straight trade for a set of hardbags I picked up new off of a '10 ultra that was trikes out of the crate. I had 200 invested in them. I used them on the '07 at times for more storage.

The stock delphi emc has been replaced with a Thundermax which improved overall performance and eliminated the fly by wire lag. Alene Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 air intake, Cobra Speedster Power Duals, new starter and black walls. And a Road Zeppelin seat to make it a little more comfortable.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 AM
BC72067
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I can't even imagine having a perfectly good 1 year old motorcycle with almost no miles on it.
The 09 is the better riding bike. I go out to the building to get a bike out and the RoadKing will be the one that gets pulled out. The reality is that to get the Wide Glide to a good usable condition at my age it will cost around 5000. Then it will only be a solo bike when my wife isn't riding with me.

So next spring it will more than likely go down the road. If it comes down to taking a huge loss on it the mill will bolt on the RoadKing and at least provide a backup if I ever need it.

I thought about teaching my wife to ride but she said that she will ride behind me. Her truck will do her fine.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First World problems

Old 08-09-2014, 01:56 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thankfully the bike is my "man cave". My wife has no vested interest in what I buy. She doesn't like riding which is very much fine with me. I would hate to have to risk both of our lives with each ride and I don't like 2 up riding on any bike especially Harley as they have more clearance issues with more weight. I have had four bikes since February...or should I say "tried out" The only thing I dislike about the Heritage is the WW tires. They will be replaced with Mich C IIs soon. Otherwise it's perfect for one up riding

Last edited by TenMidgets; 08-09-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Did I miss something? All I got out of all of that was you have a perfectly good Wide Glide sitting in your garage that you don't ride and are making payments on.... If that's the case, sell that bike to someone who will appreciate it and save some cash $$$!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,157 Likes on 17,573 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Wow, makes me glad that I'm happy with what I've got! (Of course, with all my history with this one, we're pretty much inseparable anyway.)
Way it is with me and the old shovel, way too much history

Far as the OP post all I got out of that mess is the guys got a case of OCD and a real short attention span when it comes to sleds.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Wow, makes me glad that I'm happy with what I've got! (Of course, with all my history with this one, we're pretty much inseparable anyway.)

kinda the way I feel about mine. I've only had it for 4 years but it's my first bike in 20 years and I've been into every part of it but the trans so I feel really connected to it. Keep thinking I want a Road King and that it would be way more comfortable on road trips but damn I feel like a part of this one.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry man, you probably won't like this, but you changed your mind more times than most women I know. And now the old ball and chain's mad at you to boot.
Maybe a few Dr. Phil shows will get you on the straight and narrow with the little woman again.
Me? I have the first HD I ever bought.....it ain't goin' nowhere. My bride still loves that old Evo and so do I.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Do like I do then you won't screw up. I keep every HD and just add the next one that I want. The down side was I had to build a big addition to the garage.

Quick Reply: Have you almost screwed up?