General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting lanes with hazards on

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I run my high beams during the day. I believe it helps, but you know those non-seeing & texting car drivers! California is the only state.
I do the same!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by silent1
I covered this in post 26 of this thread.

I can do it in Boston, and we have some of the narrowest and oldest roads in the country. And I'm on a Road King. So it can be done if you have the skills to do it.
Originally Posted by Redsauce
Forums are funny at times. They were originally created for people with like minds and like interests to be able to get together and share experiences, gather info and to help each other out.
You try and educate someone (jpowell) on a subject he personally knows nothing about (lane-splitting) and he calls everyone else a "moron".
A gentleman said he has been involved in several wrecks (sorry to hear) where not one was caused while lane-splitting. We have folks posting cvc codes on the subject, safety statistics that are in favor of lane-splitting and the European motorcycle culture chiming in. But, no. Not good enough. And he keeps using "hurriedness" (I don't think that's a word) as the only reason for lane-splitting.
Arm chair quarter back comes to mind. Back seat driver is another.
There isn't a law instated that says that you have to lane-split. I see bikers, not many, that choose to sit in traffic while I lane-split by. I don't stop and call them a "moron" for not. Forums could be a cool if you just stay positive.
PEACE!
Give him a break.

He's just looking at the world though his own lack of confidence, experience and/or ability, then deciding what's good and bad for the rest of the riding population, based on that very limited perspective. The fact that he needs to resort to name calling to make his point leads me to believe that he lacks the basic intellect one needs to debate an issue at an adult level.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:33 PM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Your funny. 30 years of road racing certainly qualifies me to split lanes.
Just because you've supposedly raced for 30 years on the road doesn't make you qualified to split lanes. That's a whole different beast and the fact you would compare your "road racing" experience to splitting lanes is quite alarming. That attitude right there will get you into trouble or put you in a very dangerous situation, or worse, put others in a bad situation. It's not a race when it comes to splitting lanes, getting there first is not your objective...it boils down to patience, timing, and not riding outside of your abilities. Not sure how many race tracks there are where you're on a motorcycle splitting lanes between cars that outweigh you by a large margin...

Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,166 Likes on 1,930 Posts

[QUOTE=Thumper09;13202989] squeezing in between cars at high speeds with limited room QUOTE]

I have read this whole thread and do not believe I have seen anyone advocating this.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,935 Likes on 16,444 Posts

http://jukinvideo.com/videos/focus/crashes/crash-in-motorcycle/143/38153

Just be careful lane splitting or simply passing on the right. Too many car drivers aren't paying attention and don't use their signal light. The best rider skills and confidence wouldn't have prevented this. See for youself.

Last edited by Walter White; 09-10-2014 at 11:09 PM.