Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Jiffy stand help (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1082756-jiffy-stand-help.html)

gdt3 11-27-2015 06:46 PM

Jiffy stand help

I have a 2001 FXDWG Wide Glide and it leans over too far when you put it on the Jiffy stand. It always scares the heck out of me. Does anybody else have this problem? Has anybody found a solution to this problem. The only thing I can think of is to take the Jiffy stand leg off and weld an extension on the lock tab. A lot of work.
Thanks.

QC 11-27-2015 06:49 PM

They have a positive lock on them, it won't fall over.
That being said, I believe longer ones are available. Arlen Ness comes to mind.

TSheff 11-27-2015 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by gdt3 (Post 14611773)
I have a 2001 FXDWG Wide Glide and it leans over too far when you put it on the Jiffy stand..

Did you put taller shocks or extend the front end??
Yes you can buy an extended kickstand. Try EBAY or you can heat the one you have and bend it down.

JohnnyC 11-27-2015 06:57 PM

They do have different length Kickstands. Also it has been known to bend. A new HD kickstand may fix the issue.

ShovelEd 11-27-2015 07:08 PM

Check the bolts that attach the bracket to the frame.
I had the same issue on my '76, turned out mine were loose.
Loctite, a wrench and a socket corrected the 'lean'.

OLD 96 12-15-2015 01:39 AM

You can weld a block to the pad on the bottom of stand. Experiment with different thickness until you get the desired lean. Then cut your block and weld it.

gdt3 12-15-2015 11:35 AM

Thanks guys for all your advice. I decided I really don't want a longer stand. I checked everything you guys suggested and the stand isn't bent and the bolts are tight. I was going to weld a 1/4" piece onto the Jiffy tab which would do the trick, but now I am going to chew on this idea of welding a block under the bottom of the stand. I could have also put a spacer under the pivot block, but it is really hard to get at and would only be a guess, so the tab extension or the block under the bottom of the pad seems to be the way to go. If there are any thoughts I would appreciate it. Love you guys and this site.
Cheers,
Don

ranger351w 12-27-2015 05:35 AM

My stand on a 2013 flhtc seems to be doing the lean thing also. Have to check it out

gdt3 12-27-2015 11:19 AM

I checked out the idea of a block under the foot of the jiffy stand and the block would have to be 1 1/2 inches high to equal a 1/4" tab extension, so I welded on the tab extension and it is golden. The angle is perfect for my particular bike. I am sure everyone's situation would be different. However, all you have to do is try putting different thickness spacers between the tab and the frame until you get the angle right and then make an extension piece and weld it on.
Thanks everybody for all your fabulous help.
Don