General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Stop Sucking Oil - Carbon Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I am doing the water injection this weekend. I still have a little under a half tank of gas with a heavy dose of Seafoam in it. When that runs out I'll switch over to the Techron. Thank you YD. I really appreciate your input on the subject. Me being a rookie at this I value your opinions.

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-08-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

My current tune is so far off now that I'm going to load my new tune from Fuel Moto today. I was going to hold off until after the water treatment but autotune wants to cap and scale the VE's now so the I wouldn't be able to compare the autotune runs anyway. So I will save this old tune and compare it with the new one after all is said and done.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mid30
Mine is a 2008 with 11500 miles. Wonder if I should do the carbon removal on it. I am defently going to be doing the vent mod. I have vance and hines lip on's with a big sucker and I do seam to smell burning oil when I am on the throttle hard and totaly let off. I have the vance and hines tuner on mine.
My first teardown was somewhere around 16000 and it was very bad. I read that some bikes suck more oil through the intakes than others so you have a good chance of being okay if your bike is still running good.

Definitely relocate your breather tubes as soon as possible. It's such a cheap fix. Then maybe do what Yankee Dog suggests and get the Techron flowing through it.

Hold off on doing the water treatment until I do mine. I'll let you know if I encountered any problems. I want to give you a chance to make an informed decision before deciding to do this or not. I feel that it's pretty safe to try and the best part is, water is free.

I would really appreciate you posting your results as you go. It could be really useful information for all of us.

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-09-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
My first teardown was somewhere around 16000 and it was very bad. I read that some bikes suck more oil through the intakes than others so you have a good chance of being okay if your bike is still running good.

Definitely relocate your breather tubes as soon as possible. It's such a cheap fix. Then maybe do what Yard Dog suggests and get the Techron flowing through it.

Hold off on doing the water treatment until I do mine. I'll let you know if I encountered any problems. I want to give you a chance to make an informed decision before deciding to do this or not. I feel that it's pretty safe to try and the best part is, water is free.

I would really appreciate you posting your results as you go. It could be really useful information for all of us.
Make sure the engine is at operating temperature, get a fan blowing on the engine cooling fins, and go slow on the water...Mist it in with a spray bottle or a squirt gun. Spray slowly while the engine rpms are up a little, work the throttle so it won't stall. If it wants to try and stall, you are using to much water at once. Bogging a little is OK, but not so much that it will want to stall. Be careful, you can bend connecting rods if you use to much water. There are videos on line, and change your oil after. YD

Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

I loaded the new tune today. The bike runs much better now. I did a couple of auto tune runs and am very happy with it.

Tomorrow I will do the water injection and hopefully that will get any remaining carbon and junk(or most of it) out of the bike. So far it's been a very positive experience and I'm glad I started it. Tomorrow should be the final chapter except for auto tuning and changing out the oil. I imagine some of this crud has made it to the bottom end of the motor by now.

I'll start with another fresh tank of gas and this time I will add Techron to the tank instead of Seafoam.

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-10-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:44 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Excellent article Gozzie. One of the first things I have ever done to any Harley is reroute the breather hoses to atmosphere. All it takes is 10 to 15 bucks in tubing and fittings and I cannot believe how many people don't do it. One product that I think is the absolute best for cleaning deposits is BK44. It is hard to find and is expensive. I have to order it from Amazon. Because of those factors a lot of people have never heard of it. One thing you did not mention but that I have heard recommended is that when you are doing this carbon and gunk removal and if you are using something strong like BK44 do it right before an oil change. That makes sense to me.

Here is a good quote on BK44. "While Techron and BG 44K are both fuel system cleaners, 44K is what you might call the industrial strength. Many automotive shops (and dealers) use it as a last resort before removal and industrial strength cleaning of injectors. Techron, is more of a maintenance product that will usually keep injectors clean and in good operating condition. Both are excellent products but generally aimed at different levels of the same problem."

Last edited by martin10; 06-11-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Originally Posted by martin10
Excellent article Gozzie. One of the first things I have ever done to any Harley is reroute the breather hoses to atmosphere. All it takes is 10 to 15 bucks in tubing and fittings and I cannot believe how many people don't do it. One product that I think is the absolute best for cleaning deposits is BK44. It is hard to find and is expensive. I have to order it from Amazon. Because of those factors a lot of people have never heard of it. One thing you did not mention but that I have heard recommended is that when you are doing this carbon and gunk removal and if you are using something strong like BK44 do it right before an oil change. That makes sense to me.

Here is a good quote on BK44. "While Techron and BG 44K are both fuel system cleaners, 44K is what you might call the industrial strength. Many automotive shops (and dealers) use it as a last resort before removal and industrial strength cleaning of injectors. Techron, is more of a maintenance product that will usually keep injectors clean and in good operating condition. Both are excellent products but generally aimed at different levels of the same problem."
Thanks for the info. Does the Bk44 go through the intake or do you mix it with the gas ? After today I hope to concentrate my efforts on gas treatments. Thanks again

Old 06-11-2016, 03:56 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I add it to the fuel tank.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Default Part 5 Water Injection

Part 5 Water Injection

6/11/2016

Product Water (1Quart)
Results : Today was really interesting. It didn't go as I expected it to. I warmed up the bike to 250 degrees and placed a white towel under the exhaust. I started the water injection. The first thing I noticed was that the bike didn't try to stall near as much as with the CRC or the Seafoam. The idle slowed from around 3000 to 1500-2000 but it was fairly smooth and consistent. The second thing I noticed was there was not much of anything coming out of the tailpipes. I didn't see any smoke or steam. The exhaust sounded punchier and a little louder.

The engine temp on the gauge dropped to 200 degrees and never got above that. It took me roughly 20 minutes to push 1 Quart of water through the motor. When I shut the bike down I heard a strange gurgling noise. I looked under the bike and saw a green slime oozing out of the breather tubes that I relocated and about a pint or so of it on the driveway. It sounded like it was under pressure coming out of the breather tube and it was kind of like spitting the stuff out.

The towel I laid under the exhaust was warm and wet but there wasn't much gunk on it. Just very little bits of soot and not much of it. The oil level on the dipstick was over the full mark which explained the oily slime coming out of the breather tube. I felt very lucky that I relocated the tubes first or I would have had a real mess dripping into the intake.

Well I couldn't test ride the bike like that so I did an oil change. I had a filter but had to go and get the oil. I also picked up a bottle of Techron x2 concentrate. They didn't have the BK44. I drained the oil and it was a mess. Green and milky colored and just looked nasty. I wondered if you drove it like that if the water would evaporate out of it and turn back into regular oil. I also wondered how much Seafoam and CRC was mixed in with it. If that much water got in there I'm sure the other stuff did too.

Knowing that when you drain the oil you don't get it all out I put in 3 quarts of fresh oil and idled the bike in the driveway until the engine reached 300 degrees trying to evaporate the left over watery oil. Then I topped it off with another 1/2 quart bringing the oil gauge to the full mark.

We rode to the Shell station and filled up with fresh gas and a bottle of Techron x2. I used the whole bottle with 5 gallons of gas so it's pretty concentrated. We went for a nice moderately spirited ride. I never really got on it hard or redlined it. I was concentrating on autotuning the map trying to keep within the cruising range. After a couple of tuning runs the bike is running better and better. The surging and hesitation is gone and the idle is so much smoother. I will pull the spark plugs and try and get a look at the piston tops.

My first 2 warnings to everyone. 1. Before trying this, relocate the breather tubes !!! 2. Have an immediate oil change ready to go.

Here is a link to my YouTube video

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-12-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Default Spark Plugs

6/12/2016

Here is the link to my spark plugs I pulled today. I'm guessing they have approx. 4000-4500 miles on them. I got my flashlight and looked into the cylinders. I couldn't see a lot through the spark plug holes but what I did see was bare metal on the top of the pistons. That was what I was hoping for.

I'm not an expert at reading plugs but to me they look pretty good. It looks like the cleaning process cleaned them up nicely.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1465765551

Attached Thumbnails Stop Sucking Oil - Carbon Removal-sparkplugs.jpg  

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-12-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Stop Sucking Oil - Carbon Removal