General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Stroker vs Big bore kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Jim, the S&S 145" and R&R 155" are both Evos. I forgot about the 143", but with 120", 124" 131" and 143" options there is still plenty of choice for twinkies owners.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,250 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The plan for my 2002 Ultra Classic is to upgrade suspension and brakes, and then some motor work. Cams and head work really pepped up my 89 EVO motor, for very little money. I do the disassemble and reassemble, and the tuning. I send the send heads someplace. I tend to observe what really works and then move ahead. Suspension is what allows for higher average speeds.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Suspension is what allows for higher average speeds.
We have solutions if interested!

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
We have solutions if interested!
Yea, I done some reading. Cartridge forks are great on the track. But I dislike them on a touring bike when they have to rebuilt or replaced every 20k. And I've bought a second set of air shocks to play with different weight oils. I like my aid shocks, and actually miss the front air adjustments of my 89 Ultra.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Yea, I done some reading. Cartridge forks are great on the track. But I dislike them on a touring bike when they have to rebuilt or replaced every 20k. And I've bought a second set of air shocks to play with different weight oils. I like my aid shocks, and actually miss the front air adjustments of my 89 Ultra.
We have to replace fork oil at regular intervals and with say Ohlins FKC cartridges they also have regular oil changes - not much effort for a superior ride! Add Ohlins shocks and the horizon beckons.....

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

We have to replace fork oil at regular intervals and with say Ohlins FKC cartridges they also have regular oil changes - not much effort for a superior ride! Add Ohlins shocks and the horizon beckons.....
Changing fork oil is regular maintenance. Sending cartridges back for rebuild is not. I am also having trouble finding springs to achieve proper sag without binding. Seems that there are few suspension folks who know Harleys. The spring rate for a 180 pound rider should not be the same spring for me with spacers to preload. I have not found an Oh lins dealer that can offer different springs for the forks. Rear, yes.

Rear shocks are not a problem. I can achieve desired sag with most decent shocks.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

Changing fork oil is regular maintenance. Sending cartridges back for rebuild is not. I am also having trouble finding springs to achieve proper sag without binding. Seems that there are few suspension folks who know Harleys. The spring rate for a 180 pound rider should not be the same spring for me with spacers to preload. I have not found an Ohlins dealer that can offer different springs for the forks. Rear, yes.

Rear shocks are not a problem. I can achieve desired sag with most decent shocks.
Ohlins FKC cartridges do not need to be sent anywhere for rebuild, they are owner servicable. Ohlins also sell alternative spring rates for those cartridges. Check their website, where you can see instructions and service details. Call HDF sponsor Howard Messner, at Motorcycle Metal, who can supply Ohlins shocks and cartridges, and answer any queries. He even offers HDF members a discount!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Ohlins FKC cartridges do not need to be sent anywhere for rebuild, they are owner servicable. Ohlins also sell alternative spring rates for those cartridges. Check their website, where you can see instructions and service details. Call HDF sponsor Howard Messner, at Motorcycle Metal, who can supply Ohlins shocks and cartridges, and answer any queries. He even offers HDF members a discount!
Now that I am ready to buy, I don't mind calling and bothering folks. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,335 Likes on 11,165 Posts

How'd this go to suspension??

Anyhow, for the same effective increase in displacement, wouldn't stroking give more torque than bore?

.. or maybe it's the other way around, because if you bore, you have a larger combustion volume, requiring more fuel...

Ahh...screw it...do both.

Experts???

Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
How'd this go to suspension??
In the best tradition of any HDF thread....

Anyhow, for the same effective increase in displacement, wouldn't stroking give more torque than bore?

.. or maybe it's the other way around, because if you bore, you have a larger combustion volume, requiring more fuel...

Ahh...screw it...do both.

Experts???
Both routes give more combustion volume!

I read Big Bike magazine way back, for the articles by Warner Riley. He ran Sportster engines at Bonneville with 5" stroke, IIRC, but was only pulling around 4,000rpm at 200mph. Extreme measures for extreme performance!

Quick Reply: Stroker vs Big bore kits