General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Lift Table Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Lift Table Question

I've been using a J&S jack for general maintenance and cleaning tasks for a while and I've been really happy with it.

But, I'm about to move into a bigger place (with a much bigger garage) and that's gotten me to thinking about getting a lift table.

Soooooo, the question is. What's the benefit of a lift table over a good floor jack?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll be looking at getting one too, when I move into my new place. The two main reasons I want one are better stability with tie down points and also gets it to a much more comfortable height to work on, as opposed to being on the ground.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

You got the extra room a tables a no brainer if you do any real work on the bike or you like convenience. I have and use both a table & jack depends on the job, when not in use the table becomes another work bench and it's seriously nice to be able have a nice comfy office chair to scoot around on while you work not killing your back & knee's.

The following users liked this post:
FastHarley (09-15-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 11:02 PM
user 9370
Banned
Received 834 Likes on 270 Posts

This is a nice one for what I think is a good price: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/MC...otorcycle-Lift

And, if you need/want it a bit wider, http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...-Extension-Kit

I don't have any connection to this company, but have been looking at a lot of lift tables.

Ray

Old 09-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Have one Harbor freight

bought this one reasonable price good for up to 1k as advertised holds mine ok has wheels if want to move. Took them off on mine don't need to move. Also have small craftsman for doing tires and quick cleaning on wheels and such Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Lift Table Question-image.jpeg  
Old 09-09-2017, 11:16 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I picked up a Harbor freight one when they were on sale for $289...I don't have a ton of room but I'm doing cams this winter an changing all the covers to black. The table is more secure, a much better working height an the table is handy for a spot tools an removed parts while doing the job.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

For the price of one fancy aftermarket wheel, you can have a top of the line Handy Lift in your shop.

Best money you will ever spend on your bike.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Keep the jack & add a lift...lifts are great for long-term maint., added surface and comfy work levels. You'll need the jack for easier suspension/wheel/fork maint. Enjoy that new house & bigger man-cave!

Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

As others have said.... it's the height mostly. I've done cams in my bike twice.... once on a jack & once on my lift. The first time was a back breaking ordeal, the second time was a pleasure.

Couple things....

The lift doesn't really take up any more floor space than the bike. I park mine right on the lift when not in use, don't even use the chock...

Second, the side rails. They are a must (for me) for safely riding up/down the lift. BUT.... they're heavy, and get removed right away when I work on the bike... they're just in the way. If I had to do it over, I'd skip the side rails and just lay a 4x4 or something on each side for footing. OTOH, if you DO want side rails, order them with the lift. Shipping on them separately will be as much as shipping the lift.

Just do it, you'll never regret it

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

I picked this one up off of CL a couple years ago. Best money I have spent. Makes it much easier to work on any part of the bike.

Quick Reply: Lift Table Question