General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2012 Blackline dies at idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:20 PM
mgute165
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Blackline dies at idle when warm

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I am needing some help!!
First off, I tried searching a few different threads to see if anyone else has had my problem and a few come close, but nothing exact.

My 12 Blackline is dying when it warms up (after riding about 2-3 miles) whenever I either stop or just pull the clutch in. It will start out just idling rough and low (in the low 700s to mid 600s) then after about a block or two more it will just sputter out. Bike runs great when I am riding and at a stop it will stay running so long as I give it just a little throttle so it sounds to me like an IAC issue but no code.

I am getting a few codes however:
P1632, B2201, and B2271

Bike is all stock minus a set of V&H pipes and has about 45k miles
I have had issues in the past with the voltage reg and ignition coil and those have been replaced about 6 months ago.
Since this has started I have cleaned the connectors for the BCM and induction module as a few other threads online have mentioned that might be an easy fix but still no luck.

Now, the hard part is that is has been very sporadic. This has happened to me before, but it would only happen once or twice then it wouldn't happen again for a few weeks or months. I have been told by a couple buddies that their bike does it randomly, but I want to fix it for good so I don't have to worry about her dying on me on my next trip.
I'm trying my best to avoid going to the dealer as I don't like spending $100s or even $1000s of dollars on fixing an issues before I try everything I can myself. I've been wrenching for about 8+ years and this has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

With the low idle/stall you may want to check the Idle Air Control valve. It may only need a cleaning.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:03 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Sooooo, fixed? what was the problem?

Old 12-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Ryno_0000
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue on my night train. Was a broken wire to my 02 sensor, a bite araldite and its bden good for 30000km.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 PM
mgute165
Stage III

Sorry guys, I honestly forgot I posted this. Haven't been on here.

Anyways, the problem is still there. Occasionally it will go away and I'll be good for days, weeks, and the time after I posted this, it was good for a few months!

However, the damn thing still does it. I've replaced wires, plugs, ran new tanks of gas, even bought an FP3 tuner to help with the backfiring problem which seemed to help, but the bike just started doing this again. I have been losing my mind with this. Everybody I talk to and every post I read are all different.

I cleaned my throttle body and IAC and they weren't nearly as bad as they should have been if that was what was causing this.

I am at wit's end with this. This bike has been doing this every 3-4 months since I've owned it and NOBODY can solve it. Just when I think I got it fixed, I ride it for a couple months and BAM, does it again.

What has me confused is it only does this when it's warmed up.. And when it dies, I fire it back up and it idles perfect (at 1000-1080 rpms) until I ride it even as short as half a block then it dies... Rinse, and repeat...

Any ideas?

Here's the list I've done:
Plugs and wires
Cleaned air filter, IAC, throttle body
Ran fresh gas through as soon as I notice the problem thinking it's a bad batch of gas
Replaced coil
Installed V&H FP3 tuner to richen it up due to my pipes
Replaced voltage regulator (for another issue, but figured I'd put it in here)

I've done all this since the problem first started. I hate being a parts cannon, but apparently my years of experience diagnosing cars doesn't transfer over because I cannot diagnose this damn thing.
I've thought it to be the CKP sensor, but I have NO CODES for this...

Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 429 Likes on 329 Posts

reload your cannon with a CKP. you may not have a code thrown for it but the stalling is one of the symptoms. have you removed it to have a look.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:48 PM
mgute165
Stage III

Originally Posted by memphisharley
reload your cannon with a CKP. you may not have a code thrown for it but the stalling is one of the symptoms. have you removed it to have a look.

I haven't removed it yet, no. I will do that when I get off shift tomorrow morning. I'm also trying to find an oscilloscope to track the waveforms to see if I'm getting any differences when it warms up.