General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Year-round garage storage - in ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Year-round garage storage - in ?

I am moving soon and I'm wondering about storage effects on chrome and metal.
I'm moving to a remote place with stand-alone detached garage, aluminum siding, no insulation, no vapor barrier, no covering over the interior walls, just open studs, no heat, no electric, and floor is gravel. A shed.
Is that going to result in dots of rust - pitting - on chrome and other exposed metal? (I've heard that it is the daily cycle of condensation / dry / condensation / dry that is bad.
I've always kept my bikes in an attached garage with plastic or aluminum exterior siding plus drywall on the interior walls, concrete floors, never had a problem with pit rust or anything else.
If not good, would it help to cover the interior sides of the exterior walls (with drywall or 8-foot wide rolls of thin white garden fabric as vapor barrier (fabric easiest, free, and would be brighter than wide rolls of black plastic I also have), would that protect from rust?

Or am I overthinking this?

Kayakeur Bud, 1999 EVO FLSTC
In the eastern foothills of the Shenandoah Mountains

Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM
Big Block 17
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would lay down a sheet of plastic on the floor, then a 4x8 sheet of plywood over it. This will create a moisture barrier island to park the bike on. Obviously you're not going to keep all the dampness out. Covering with a breatheable cover
will keep the dust to a minimum. Dust can absorb moisture. Ask your dealer for a cover that the new bikes come shipped with. One of those should work well for you.