General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Tire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Bikes4Brother9
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Issue

Hey I have a custom burgettes can't find a tire to fit custom front rim. Does anyone know if I could put a rear tire on the front rim if I mount it in the proper direction? It will have same tread pattern as rear tire. The only thing its marked from Pirelli as front.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

boy you like opening a can of worms. this will be like an oil debate.
first, consult the tire mfg first! they made it they know what it can do.
my experience is i had issues. i ordered a tire, came in, hurricane & flood, months later went to mount, found out they sent a front and i ordered a rear, too late, needed it, mounted it, 2k later, bald as an eagle (or like me). now i am demanding so my tires do not last and 3>4 is tops, trying commander 2's as last resort and then the dark side i go (car tire).
i have read either way, so research, research, and guess what research some more. direction of travel to compound + a host of other things, hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Two things determine rotation direction, the belt lap joint and the tread. The joint will have more strength to resist pulling apart in just one direction. Rears are mounted to resist acceleration forces, fronts, braking. That's why you reverse a rear used on the front. Now the problem, the tread direction is for best traction, especially on wet roads. You lose some of that when it's backwards. Plenty of people have ridden on tires mounted the wrong direction for the wheel they're on, whether for a front-rear swap or just they or a shop being careless or not knowing. Doesn't mean you'll crash in the rain or rip your rear apart when you do a burnout, but it increases the risk a little. I've heard of guys putting rears on backwards on the front of a bike to get a wider tire they couldn't find in a front size. Just be a bit more cautious on wet roads.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I pulled the front wheel off an Electra Glide with sidecar I got last weekend, and the Dunlop 402 is on backwards. Not the first bike I've bought with reversed tires, lot of people don't seem to realize they're directional. Doesn't matter with this one, putting new Avon Cobras on it anyway. The right direction, too.