General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

What Jack to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

J&S - correct size hydraulics - don't come flying down due to undersized jack most cheapies use, well balanced, fit under frames, great oil drain accessory. I received one as a gift about 10 years ago and never looked back.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:48 PM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Pit Bull here. Picked it up at the bike show a couple of years ago. Expensive ($400) but well worth it to me. Bike is very stable even at full lift

Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
J&S - correct size hydraulics - don't come flying down due to undersized jack most cheapies use, well balanced, fit under frames, great oil drain accessory. I received one as a gift about 10 years ago and never looked back.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. J&S claims a 1 ton lifting capacity using their 6 ton bottle. Taking into consideration the laws of physics, ie., leverage versus fulcrum point, the J&S 6 ton bottle is more than adequate for lifting 1 ton, but equally adequate for smoothly lowering 1ton.

Last edited by barneyboy; 08-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Lanwman
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Another Pitt Bull here, very happy with it.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Same here, I've never looked back. The J&S was money very well spent. My Wide Glide always has lived on the J&S; when her tires are on the ground, we're heading out. Now, even as a trike she still sits rock solid on the J&S, raising and lowering is as smooth as can be. The fact of all that added weight hanging off the rear having no effect on the stability of the bike when she's on the lift is a testament to how well thought out and over-built this lift is...

Old 09-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Khloesdad
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

So!!! I've yet to buy a jack but the time is coming sooner than later. In all honesty, I hate spending 5/600 on a jack that I'll rarely use except for oil change and tire removal. With that said, my local Harley dealer has on in stock for $299.00.
It is an 1100 lb and while I know it is in no way made by HD it does sport the HD logos so I'll assume its made for HD by someone out there. I have points built up at the dealer so I can actually get for around $150.00 and since its from the
dealer I assume theres some type of warranty. The million dollar question is, do any of you here have one of these, and can vouch for the quality? Thanks.

This: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...e-service-lift
BTW Tincup, thats a fantastic looking 3 wheeler.

Last edited by Khloesdad; 09-04-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:31 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jack

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
First off, if this topic belongs elsewhere, mods please move it.
So I'm looking to buy a jack for occasional use to replace a tire or other maintanance that requires both wheels off the ground. I've found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...53.m1438.l2649

Not sure what everyones using but don't want to invest huge amount since it won't be used regularly. Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks.
I got a hydraulic jack from Sears, $88 back about 15 yrs ago, I've used it under Softail deluxe, Ultra Classics and I still have it for my Street Glide. But the only problem is it's wide so once you get it under your frame to do like oil changes you have to position it where you can get to the drain plugs. But I haven't had one problem with it. It also has wheels on it so if you need to move your motorcycle around you can. I'm about to buy myself a motorcycle stand that keeps the bike upright, the kind you drive into and it locks the front wheel and it has a rail on each side where you can strap bike down and then it sits upright. Just some ideas.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:18 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
So!!! I've yet to buy a jack but the time is coming sooner than later. In all honesty, I hate spending 5/600 on a jack that I'll rarely use except for oil change and tire removal. With that said, my local Harley dealer has on in stock for $299.00.
It is an 1100 lb and while I know it is in no way made by HD it does sport the HD logos so I'll assume its made for HD by someone out there. I have points built up at the dealer so I can actually get for around $150.00 and since its from the
dealer I assume theres some type of warranty. The million dollar question is, do any of you here have one of these, and can vouch for the quality? Thanks.

This: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...e-service-lift
BTW Tincup, thats a fantastic looking 3 wheeler.
I can't answer the million dollar question, and you'll likely be bombarded with everyone's personal preference, but I'm pretty sure that the HD lift comes with a one year, over the counter warranty (check with your dealer). Snap it up for 50% off (with your points). Put it to the test, and if it fails to meet your expectations, simply return it, and plead your case. FWIW, most, if not all jacks will require additional accessories to facilitate an oil change.

Last edited by barneyboy; 09-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.