General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Wind Splitter Windshield......What I Did Not Know.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:09 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
Here is a YouTube link for a measurement from KlockWerks recurve windshields. See if this helps, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rr2RV9sChI
I measured up from the center of the center screw to the top of the cardboard 12"

Then after runnin on the highway I moved it up again to 13" and there did not seem to be much of a change. I am going to go wtih 13".

Will also send my measurement so Freedom Shields and see what he says. I rode like the motormen with a straight up back. ALL the time.

@Rumblin

Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I don't know @BuzzCap7 But if I were you I'd remove that tape and cardboard, it's hideous looking. (Just sayin) Plus you will be able to know where you are. (No wonder your lost.) Now go buy a new binky.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by J F GO
I don't know @BuzzCap7 But if I were you I'd remove that tape and cardboard, it's hideous looking. (Just sayin) Plus you will be able to know where you are. (No wonder your lost.) Now go buy a new binky.

Ok, ok, good one. Too true too.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:42 PM
BuzzCap7

Anyone have a 2014 Ultra? If so, would u measure your windshield height if it is stock.

I would like to know the height of it.

TY,

BuzzCap7

Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a 14" ultra. I'm pretty sure the stock windshields are 10". I purchased a recurve that was same same stock height thinking it would kick the wind up and over just a bit higher so my wife wouldn't get as much buffeting. I didn't have a wind issue myself with the stock windshield, but my wife complained that she was getting beat up with the wind. The recurve made no noticeable difference for her.

At first the blur at the curve drove me crazy. I couldn't help but look at it. It wasn't in my line of vision, but my eyes were just drawn to the blur. I thought i was going to have to switch back to the stock windshield, but after about a week or 2 of riding I was slowly not paying attention to it. Now I never even notice it at all.

So if you like the look of the windshield, my opinion is you will get used to the blur... unless it is too tall and its in your line of vision.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by ddsdoorguy
I had a 14" ultra. I'm pretty sure the stock windshields are 10". I purchased a recurve that was same same stock height thinking it would kick the wind up and over just a bit higher so my wife wouldn't get as much buffeting. I didn't have a wind issue myself with the stock windshield, but my wife complained that she was getting beat up with the wind. The recurve made no noticeable difference for her.

At first the blur at the curve drove me crazy. I couldn't help but look at it. It wasn't in my line of vision, but my eyes were just drawn to the blur. I thought i was going to have to switch back to the stock windshield, but after about a week or 2 of riding I was slowly not paying attention to it. Now I never even notice it at all.

So if you like the look of the windshield, my opinion is you will get used to the blur... unless it is too tall and its in your line of vision.
Agreed, the windsplitting curve does not throw the air up and over.

The blurriness is driving me crazy. Can't get used to it. It is too short anyway.

You had a 14" on ur ultra. What is ur height and inseam?

I am 5' 7 3/4" with a 29" inseam which makes my body (butt up to top of head) longer than the norm.

Todays windhshield testing indicates at least a 13" possibly 14" windshield. You said 14" for you on your ultra u had.

What is ur height and inseam?

Thanks,

BuzzCap7

Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Scottyxbones
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Just gonna put it out there that Amazon is really good about returns, even for windshields.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Scottyxbones
Just gonna put it out there that Amazon is really good about returns, even for windshields.
Gotcha mate. Not fond of Amazon. Besides, I bot it from the manufacturer themselves.

Do appreciate the in put tho.

Coincidentally, I should be getting it in the next few hours. Whoooo Hooooo...........

Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 AM
tajar66
Tourer
Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I am using a demo model right now. My bike came with the 3 inch shield that was brutal on longer rides. The 7 inch wind splitter is significantly better. I rode 100 miles with it yesterday and placed the order for one. It is gonna take a week to get here and they let keep the demo until the mine gets in. Is is like being in still air no but it definitely helps.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:11 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by tajar66
I am using a demo model right now. My bike came with the 3 inch shield that was brutal on longer rides. The 7 inch wind splitter is significantly better. I rode 100 miles with it yesterday and placed the order for one. It is gonna take a week to get here and they let keep the demo until the mine gets in. Is is like being in still air no but it definitely helps.
And the top of the windshield is just (just) below your line of sight?

Quick Reply: Wind Splitter Windshield......What I Did Not Know.