General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bought a non-running Harley....now I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM
mjstruck
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a non-running Harley....now I need help!

Hey everyone! Just bought a 2008 Sportster 1200 Nightster with 33k miles as a project since it’s not currently running.

Previous owner stated he went for a ride and made a stop for lunch then when he came to start the bike it would turn over but would not fire. He was going to fix it but was moving out of state soon so decided to sell it instead.

The issue it’s having looks like it’s not getting any fuel to the injectors. Previous owner put in new plugs and wires.

What I’ve tested/replaced to rule everything out (have done a tremendous amount of research on here and it’s very helpful!) has been:

Checked for DTC’s and got p0261 and p0263 (front and rear injector open/low

1. Load test battery and it’s good (about 12.75)
2. Test starter and system relays and both are good
3. Checked for spark which it’s getting
4. Tested/checked all fuses and grounds
5. Replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel line for precautionary/preventative purposes
6. Drained old gas and put In fresh gas
7. Tested fuel pressure which it’s getting about 60 psi
8. Tested injector resistance and it’s good
9. Replaced engine wiring harness (Thought maybe a bad wire in the harness to the injectors and wanted to rule it out

It’s still having the same issue after all this and it’s getting spark and air but no fuel. I know it’s not recommended but I wanted to test it and sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it fired right up.

Not sure where to go next and want to fix it myself before I am left defeated and have to take it to the shop.

I’ve read a lot of similar no start issues but everything I’ve done already seemed to have fix other peoples issues.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice or help is appreciated!

Last edited by mjstruck; 06-05-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 PM
mjstruck
4th Gear

I tried posting a video but it looks like it’s not allowing me from my phone so it will help I can try to upload it again once I’m back at my computer.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 656 Posts

looks like you have the fuel covered and it sparks...... is the coil suspect? they will give a spark when you have the plug out and earthed to the motor but wont when they are under compression

Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 PM
mjstruck
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply! I tested the coils with a inductive timing light And they’re pulsing so they’re good (sorry forgot to mention that as well)

Old 06-05-2020, 10:31 PM
mjstruck
4th Gear

Here’s the video

Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Pick up a can of electrical contact cleaner and clean all of your connectors / relays and bat cables ( check battery cables for breaks inside cover ) . Corrosion can do a lot weird thing to a bike . You might have corrosion built up on / inside the relays or possibly a faulty relay . Check connections and clean , MAP sensor ( use sensor clean if necessary ) , IAC , TPS , Speed sensor , Crank position sensor , sure there are more . Check and clean / replace all fuses .

Get yourself some throttle body cleaner and clean your IAC valve as well , wouldn't hurt . Take a rag and place it in your throttle body while spraying down the IAC .

Check ECM connectors ,,,

If you have a Volt Meter , check your battery voltage , 12.75 is good at ignition on , test voltage drop while cranking , should not drop below 10v .

I would have guessed a faulty system relay , but you said you checked that , did you replace it or .... ?

Old 06-05-2020, 11:59 PM
mjstruck
4th Gear

Thanks for the advice! I’ll go ahead and try the contact cleaner and recheck all the fuses and wiring connectors/sensors, Didn’t see any corrosion or anything out of the ordinary but you never know.

I checked the battery earlier today and it was measuring about 10.83 when cranking.

And for the relays I tested by sending 12 volts and hearing it click open and checked the resistance and it was good. But might get new ones since I read one post someone got better ones and it worked.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:11 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Your problem answered itself in your first post. Trouble codes for your injectors. Spraying ether in and it fire's off. Your not getting fuel sprayed into the motor, that's why it doesn't run. I doubt both injectors went bad at the same time, so I would check the wiring going to them. a broken , loose, or grounded wire will keep them from getting the juice they need to operate.,,,

The following users liked this post:
ole_phart (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:21 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Your problem answered itself in your first post. Trouble codes for your injectors. Spraying ether in and it fire's off. Your not getting fuel sprayed into the motor, that's why it doesn't run. I doubt both injectors went bad at the same time, so I would check the wiring going to them. a broken , loose, or grounded wire will keep them from getting the juice they need to operate.,,,

I have to agree.

The codes show a problem with the injectors. If the P.O is correct and it just stopped working, I too find it very hard to believe both injectors just died at the same time. I would be looking at the wiring to the injectors, the grounds, and very closely at any connectors along the path for a corroded, loose or broken pin.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,371 Likes on 10,711 Posts

Hi there mjstruck, the HDF rules are found in the Welcome Only Area which you can go to by clicking HERE.

Also it is a GOOD place to go to say hi and we can more formally welcome you if you like.

Kindly see below my friend.

Quick Reply: Bought a non-running Harley....now I need help!