Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   lithium battery? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1438757-lithium-battery.html)

t0lbert 08-07-2023 12:41 AM

lithium battery?

has anyone changed out there lead acid battery for a lithium?

is so, which one?

thanks!

Rounders 08-07-2023 07:25 AM

Some say they love them. Some claims big engines start better. My opinion, is at the moment they are not worth the extra cost. I get 7+ years out of harley battery, so I don't see point for me. Maybe people with big engines or high compression it helps, something worth reading up on if you have one,

Then there is the discussion does cold effect them or not. Some say I don't care I don' ride when cold, some say I have started when cold just fine.

Also some discussion on them going to sleep if they get low, if you leave your lights on for few minutes it will wake up I have heard.

Some say they like they are so light. For me on a touring bike, I just don't think that matters.

I got a 7 year old battery I should replace, trying to decide if I want to make it through this summer. I am just going to the dealer and getting another one

If I lived in a hot climate, I would research how they do. Regular batteries don't like heat, at don't last as long. I am not sure if lithium is better.

kidmo 08-07-2023 08:01 AM

It's up to you to weigh the pros & cons but keep in mind you have to change the rectifier/regulator and they require a special charger.

HD_noobie 08-07-2023 08:52 AM

I have one from Twin Power its on 4 years now still seems strong.
I did get a lithium specific charger but have never heard of needing a diff. regulator.
I do know the last time I had to pick up my touring bike I was glad it was in there.

NorthWestern 08-07-2023 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by t0lbert (Post 21331425)
has anyone changed out there lead acid battery for a lithium?

is so, which one?

thanks!

I am on year 3 now on my X2 Lithium, and love the cranking power it has.

I have not experienced any of the myths so succinctly pointed out here in your thread.

So far, so good!

buell95 08-07-2023 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HD_noobie (Post 21331713)
I have one from Twin Power its on 4 years now still seems strong.
I did get a lithium specific charger but have never heard of needing a diff. regulator.
I do know the last time I had to pick up my touring bike I was glad it was in there.

I have a twin power also over 5 yrs now.
Still turns over my s&s 124 like the spark plugs are out.

kidmo 08-07-2023 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NorthWestern (Post 21331748)
I am on year 3 now on my X2 Lithium, and love the cranking power it has.

I have not experienced any of the myths so succinctly pointed out here in your thread.

So far, so good!

No direct experience on my part, just passing along information I heard on Revival Cycles electrical you tube videos, thanks!
Ken

TriGeezer 08-07-2023 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by kidmo (Post 21331649)
It's up to you to weigh the pros & cons but keep in mind you have to change the rectifier/regulator and they require a special charger.

Different battery tender, but does not require a different regulator.

willcasp 08-07-2023 02:11 PM

I have done it in my off road motorcycles, I have not done it on the HD yet.. as I need to research it. This isn't a simple 1 for 1 swap.
Cons of Li Ion
- if you turn the motorcycle off and on frequently, it may not be a good option. The discharge and recovery of Li Ion is very different than Lead Acid or AGM.
- if you need to start in cold weather, this may be a problem. cold affects these batteries to the point that you might not have enough energy to start.
- need a different charger.

Pros
- weight. Similar power to a lead acid or AGM, a Li Ion is lighter weight. Probably not a concern with a HD.
- power - you can get more power out of a Li Ion in the same physical size as a Lead Acid or AGM.
- discharge - at acceptable temperature levels, Li Ion tends to discharge slower... so, your machine can sit longer and still start. (just don't start it a bunch of times in a short time window!)

If you size the battery correctly, it can be a great option.

Fatboy Brian 08-07-2023 02:53 PM

There a different animal, they don't like cold climates. I have one on a high compression engine, like someone already said it spins the engine like the plugs are out.