General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2024 Breakout, loose fork stem screw

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:20 PM
24Breakout
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2024 Breakout, loose fork stem screw

Sorry for the duplicate thread...I posted it in the wrong sub- forum the first time.

I'd appreciate it if any of the wrenchers could give me some input here. I just noticed that the washer around the fork stem screw on my 2024 Breakout was spinning freely, and the screw itself was quite loose.... not finger loose, but definitely not where it's supposed to be. I torqued it to spec. The pinch bolt just below that washer was torqued properly, but there's a pretty big gap there. Is that normal? Bike is new, ~850 miles on her. No noticeable handling issues. Was planning on taking it in for the 1K service this weekend anyway. I will definitely be mentioning all the above when I take it in... just not sure how big a deal I should make of it, if at all. I'm no mechanic, but it is the steering column... I like the bike to go where I point it 🤣

Thoughts?

Last edited by 24Breakout; 04-30-2024 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:00 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,694 Likes on 590 Posts

If you did it by first slackening the pinch bolt, then torquing the fork stem screw, and then torquing the pinch bolt, no worries. If not, redo it as said.

It wouldn't hurt to spend a little while checking other fasteners for tightness while you're at it.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:00 AM
cobra23
Tourer
Received 390 Likes on 212 Posts

No need to check fasteners right? Because the dealer supposedly did it before the bike was put on the floor, since you were charged for it.

Another example of a dealer rip off that could have caused problems for the rider.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 AM
24Breakout
Novice

Originally Posted by Phil13
If you did it by first slackening the pinch bolt, then torquing the fork stem screw, and then torquing the pinch bolt, no worries. If not, redo it as said.

It wouldn't hurt to spend a little while checking other fasteners for tightness while you're at it.
Yup, that's what I did. Thanks for the response!

Old 05-01-2024, 08:22 AM
24Breakout
Novice

Originally Posted by cobra23
No need to check fasteners right? Because the dealer supposedly did it before the bike was put on the floor, since you were charged for it.

Another example of a dealer rip off that could have caused problems for the rider.
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled to discover it, and I'll definitely be saying something about it when it goes in this afternoon. Not something that should have happened, imho.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:32 PM
adery
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside - this bolt stripped its string Since somebody overtorqued it. Assuming that was you, consider utilizing a force wrench from here on out.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:41 PM
24Breakout
Novice

Originally Posted by adery
Aside - this bolt stripped its string Since somebody overtorqued it. Assuming that was you, consider utilizing a force wrench from here on out.
And if I were you, I'd consider utilizing reading comprehension from here on out... it'll cut down on the ridiculous assumptions.

Nothing was stripped. I discovered a loose bolt on a bike that's less than a month old. And as I said quite clearly in my original post, I torqued said bolt to spec... and yes, I used a torque wrench. That's how I know it was done to spec. I have the shop manual, I didn't guess, and I certainly didn't strip any threads. I'm not a professional mechanic, but this isn't my first rodeo either...

Last edited by 24Breakout; 05-02-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:26 AM
adery
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that the dealership is cool with you making this content is awesome. Harley tends to be less than approving of the Indy/diy side of the industry but channels like yours are awesome.

Tutuapp 9Apps

Old 05-03-2024, 09:41 AM
24Breakout
Novice

Originally Posted by adery
The fact that the dealership is cool with you making this content is awesome. Harley tends to be less than approving of the Indy/diy side of the industry but channels like yours are awesome.

Tutuapp 9Apps
I'm not sure you and I are on the same planet. I don't have a "channel". I do not create "content" of any kind...DIY, Indy, or otherwise. I'm a customer. I bought a bike. I discovered an issue with said bike, and I solicited some outside opinions on a forum. I haven't blamed or bad-mouthed anyone, nor pointed fingers... the world is an imperfect place, and sometimes sh*t just happens. Hell, I didn't even name the dealership. And fwiw, they were very accommodating when I brought the bike in. My concern was noted, and the issue was resolved to everyone's satisfaction inside of 24 hours. The service department was as pleasant as any I've dealt with... better than most, actually. They could not have been any nicer. The end.

Last edited by 24Breakout; 05-03-2024 at 09:50 AM.
joenc (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 10:24 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,310 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Breakout
I'm not sure you and I are on the same planet. I don't have a "channel". I do not create "content" of any kind...DIY, Indy, or otherwise. I'm a customer. I bought a bike. I discovered an issue with said bike, and I solicited some outside opinions on a forum. I haven't blamed or bad-mouthed anyone, nor pointed fingers... the world is an imperfect place, and sometimes sh*t just happens. Hell, I didn't even name the dealership. And fwiw, they were very accommodating when I brought the bike in. My concern was noted, and the issue was resolved to everyone's satisfaction inside of 24 hours. The service department was as pleasant as any I've dealt with... better than most, actually. They could not have been any nicer. The end.
If his location is factual(on his screen name tag) , there may a language issue.

Goose_NC (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 2024 Breakout, loose fork stem screw