Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Bike will just shut off (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/260299-bike-will-just-shut-off.html)

tjccc1999 07-27-2008 11:19 PM

Bike will just shut off

I have a 2007 FLHTCU ultra classic that is still under warranty and have had it at the shop several times trying to fix this problem. You will be riding down the road and the bike just shuts off. You do not loose your battery as the radio and lights stay on. The bike will start right back up. The HD mechanics tell me they can find nothing wrong. This is driving me crazy and is very dangerous. Need help!!!!!

78fxs78 08-06-2008 10:21 PM

It has to be in either fuel sys or Ign then, Tell them you don't want it back till its fixed and you want a loaner, let them ride until it acts up for them, if you got it new from them they should help you out
WI has a lemon law, 3 times in for the same problem, if its still not fixed they have to give you a new one

JackShafted 08-08-2008 10:54 AM

Nice about your lemon law on WI. Any chance it'll catch on?
Have you had a look at the bank sensors? I have an 03 FXST and it has a bank sensor that will shut off the bike if it is below 45 deg for over a second. Does your bike shut off when going straight down the road or banking? It could just be a loose connection on this sensor. Then again I'm new and just reading everything I can in the manual.
Good Luck

trip20 08-11-2008 08:49 PM

I have a buddy with a '07 Street Glide who is having similar issues. However, his gauges are also involved at times. And at one point when it began happening, it also involved his radio, and I believe his headlights. His issue also appears to be associated with moisture.

Soon after riding in the rain or washing the bike, his bike has major electrical issues. Since it's purchase last spring, his Street Glide has been in to the shop for electrical warranty work somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 times.

He's had the usual things checked (i.e., speed/idle sensors, battery cables, connectors...etc). He's also had his ECM replaced.

I live in Wisconsin. My pal submitted papers utilizing Wisconsin's Lemon Law. He sent them to the MoCo this past Monday/Tuesday. The criteria for being a lemon in Wisconsin are not as described above by the other poster. There are other qualifications that must be met in order to qualify for WI's Lemon Law. Click here to read the criteria.

I'll post back here if they fix his bike, but at this point he's pretty much expecting a new bike.

fr21555 08-26-2008 11:08 AM

I just went through something just like that on my Evo. Turned out to be the ignition timing sensor plate. Bike would run, then cut out, and yes it was dangerous. I was lucky to have family riding along to keep cagers off my tail.

bobcowan 08-29-2008 12:38 PM

With fuel problems, the engine generally sputters to a halt. With an electrical/ignition problem, it just dies without warning. Generally speaking. Have them swap in a new ECU and see what happens.

fogcity123 08-29-2008 11:56 PM

I had a buell that did that. Would turn off, then turn back on 30min to two hours later. It was the bank sensor (which was only discovered once the mech rode it home).

BlockHead96 08-30-2008 12:09 AM

Interesting! Here is what I posted early in the week.

I was climbing up in altitude toward the summit of the local Volcano, cruising between 20-25 mph in second gear about 2500 RPM, speed limit in park in that area is 25 MPH. Outside temp, maybe 72*, so the weather was nice. I come around a turn to go into the next turn, she acts like she ran out of gas, sputtered, farted and died! I had at least 1/4 tank of fuel and I did not hit the Run/Off switch. No CEL, no nothing. Odd thing is, when I press the Run switch in the run position, the fuel pump would run. Only did that a few times then stopped. Let it set a couple minutes, she fired right off. Odddddd!

Any ideas as to what's up?? I don't know how to check for codes. Only 1700 Mi. on the bike..

Silly assed dealer says they don't what it is unless they can duplicate the problem. If it keeps up, I will dump HD and not look back. This would be my first and last HD if this is the case.

BlockHead96 08-30-2008 02:52 PM

Had the ECM flashed again at the dealer this morning. Those clowns tell ya they don't know what it is or does. Then, when I get it back I ride home, the first thing I noticed is, the surge is back. I tell myself, I bet it's a stock re flash of the ECM. I look at the paper work the dealer gave me and it says,( Install upgraded stock calibration) Event number 32899-07F/DT. Anyone know what the OEM stock calibration # is??

robzuc97 09-02-2008 12:55 AM

Frustrated with HD but can't do a WOW test on your own bike? Hold the trip reset button in while turning the ignition key on (stop sw set to run); this is the WOW test and will show any trouble codes present. The display will read P=ECM S=TSSM Sp=Speedometer St=Tachometer (if equipped)
*Part number of component follows each item after pressing reset button. Use the rest button to scan through and hold button in to select (if memory serves). Not the dealers fault; intermittant problems are difficult to trace esp. if you're not getting a trouble code (which sounds unlikely but ???). The ECM was updated (reflash) by the dealer at NO COST to you if I'm reading your description right. Also try wiggling the wire on you CKP and connector with bike running (shuts of bike & throws TC when it loses signal); this is called a "wiggle test" and can be performed on any electrical component to check for intermittants. Changing the ECM won't help unless it IS the problem but unlikely: once again a trouble code would be thrown. If you don't have TC's, check TSSM mounting to see if it's moving around and thinking the bike is tipped over.