General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.
View Poll Results: Should H-D sell a Screaming Eagle turbo Harley?
Yes
70.00%
No
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Turbocharged Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM
andygears
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo advise

I live up the street from Custom Works in Daytona and "Russ" the bike salesman, has a turbo softtail that runs excellent. I've been on poker runs and the like with him, and it seems very well mannered. They are great people and I'm sure he would point you in the right direction. customworksdaytona.com They have a top notch shop, but he will give advise without arm-twisting sales. Give him a call.

andygears

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My continued advice would be to try something besides the Aerocharger. I think they are still in business. If you are looking for stuff to make a boat anchor from...the Aerocharger would make a good choice. If you want to drown-out some severe top-end noise....then get an Aerocharger. The rattling noise emitted from the variable vanes will definitely overcome any known Harley engine noise. I am pretty sure they finally gave up on the CV and include a Mikuni flat-slide in the kit now. The carburetor does nothing for that rattling though. I would suffer any minimal turbo lag rather than put up with the noise generated from the Aerocharger variable vane system. You can't hear it if it's out under the hood of a car, jet ski or snowmobile, but you can when it's right down there between your legs.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM
oldcrusty72
Stage I

Hey there, ive been building my own kit for a while now, it has come up pretty nice looking and works well, the only problem i have come up with is that my engine case keeps filling up with oil and blowing the primary drive side seal out. once i sort that out it should all be good.

I made up my own manifold and exhaust pipe, had the turbo made up with carbon seals to run fuel through it, then had it all ceramic coated.

The heads i cut out heaps to lower the compression, which helped out heaps after poping the engine three times already during my R&D phase. I think they are about 89cc chambers now.

I'm using a HSR48 Mikuni carb, (which is probably a bit big).
Turbo is a Garrett T2 with carbon seals.
can't remember right now what ignition is in it but it has a setting to limit the advance to max of 23 degrees.
I run an electric oil scavenging pump after the turbo to return oil to the tank.

The Turbo is maybe just a bit big for the engine but it gives a really smooth power curve instead of boosing up and hitting out all at once. It'll get you white knuckled with dinner plate eyes though. I have no idea of the HP or TQ numbers but it scared the crap out of me at about 3/4 throttle. A mate rode it who rides a 80" dyna with nitrous, he was pretty impressed with it too.

I got alot of info of this site, they aren't to friendly to DIY turbo kits like mine or off the shelf kits that are being sold around the place but they had a heap of good tech that i have used when building my kit and rebuilding my engine for it.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/harleyturbos.htm

i have a couple of pics if i can sort out getting them up here, of if i can email them to someone they might get up sooner.

Tim

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Road Warrior

Congratulations on your "intestinal fortitude" to pursue your dream and see this through. I think you are always going to have problems with this, but people use to call me crazy too. I had this bad habit of attempting the impossible just because somebody told me it was impossible. I have "mellowed out" a bit over the years and don't run as close to the edge as I used to. If you enjoy riding alone because nobody else can keep up with you and then spend the other half of your spare time working on this gizmo....more power to you. I say...to each his own and I wish you luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aero charger is still in buisness. Ask for Brad. but if you go to there web site they do not have a kit ready yet for Harleys.

My 2 cents is Super Charge your bike. I wrote a whole post on Super Chargers vs Turbos. I do both.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

check over at 1130cc.com there are a few Turboed V-Rods over there but some have really great knowledge from the Drag racing side of things.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Road Warrior

Aerocharger had one for earlier model Harleys, but take my word for it....unless Aerocharger has came a long way in refining the Harley kits, don't waste your time. I was tickled-pink the day I got mine, became less enchanted as I tried to make it function properly, became more aggravated at the constant rattling from the varibale vanes and was extremely thrilled to death when I sold it for half of what I paid for it.

Maybe that is why they don't have one ready (as per Drago's remarks above).....yet, they have tried it before.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Aerocharger had one for earlier model Harleys, but take my word for it....unless Aerocharger has came a long way in refining the Harley kits, don't waste your time. I was tickled-pink the day I got mine, became less enchanted as I tried to make it function properly, became more aggravated at the constant rattling from the varibale vanes and was extremely thrilled to death when I sold it for half of what I paid for it.

Maybe that is why they don't have one ready (as per Drago's remarks above).....yet, they have tried it before.
From what I remember they did not do it it was some other shop doing it with there turbos.. I know they are in the middle of doing something them selves on turbos for harleys. I am not 100% sure on that but thats was the phone call I had with Brad at Aerocharger in the summer because I asked him if they made one for a Victory vision.

Last edited by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS; 12-22-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

If you are looking for a turbo for a v-rod I sell the kits from RCC turbos. 160/170 hp stock vrod with turbo.

Here is a link to there web site with a pic.
http://www.rccturbos.com/client-bikes/135-ljs-v-rod

Last edited by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS; 12-22-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replys guys. Ive actually went in a WHOLE new direction with my turbo project. Im still turbocharging a Harley its just my little toy instead of my big bike. I have a 2005 Buell Blast. Its a single cylinder 500cc engine. Basically a sportster with the back cylinder cut off.

Doing a little more than the turbo though. I took the engine out and starting building a custom no downtube frame for it. Its gonna be a sort of board track racer style. Hoping for 80HP out of the little thumper. Ought to be a fun little bike. Man, I love owning my own motorcycle shop!!!

Quick Reply: Turbocharged Harley