General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Black Paint - No Scratches!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turtle wax black box

Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

+1 on the Lemon Pledge
Heard about it for years. Recently tried it. So far, it works great on paint, chrome and windshields. However, I'm not a true paint aficionado. Also, it takes a little of the shop smell away for a minute or two ie. your buddy's beer farts.
EDIT - Just found this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detai...edge-myth.html

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 02-25-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
TH_FLHX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update, i had some time today so i used a power polisher with a foam pad and the HD scratch and swirl treatment. It worked pretty good. Did some areas a few times and was liberal with the polish. Got rid of almost all the light scratches!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

For getting all the very fine hazing (super fine scratches) out of the finish I've had a lot of success using Meguiars swirl remover and lightly hand rubbing with Meguiars microfiber applicator. It takes a little while. So be patient. But the results are worth it. A word about "microfiber". Hazing, swirls, toweling marks, etc. are actualy tiny scratches. They are often caused by the man made yarns in cloths used to dry, polish, or clean the finish. Even those in a microfiber cloth can be hard enough to scratch regardless of how soft they may feel to the touch. Check out more here:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4633641/...rofiber-Towels

Also, about using paper towels to dry a bike. Not all paper towels are equal. I have seen owners of high end show cars use Bounty to slowly and lightly wipe their car finishes dry. They discard wet towels often and unroll generous handfuls of towels. I started using them myself several years ago and never saw any scratching or hazing on my bike's black finish afterwards. I experimented on lexan and even my polycarbonate eyeglasses. Even after rubbing fairly hard, I could not see any scratching or hazing. I have always heard that towels made from wood fibers are hard enough to scratch these materials. But at least with the Bounty brand towels, this does not seem to be the case. I'm not recommending you use them. I'm just saying what I found out and what I do.