General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Lowering for "balance"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Heli-Tim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering for "balance"

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in the new member section, I am new here. I have a bit of a special situation, and am hoping that you guys can help! I am 29 (not that its relevant), 6'0" and 147 lbs. about 10 years ago I had surgery on my spine due to a sports related injury. As a result I sold my bike and gave up on the idea of riding again.
Well, it seems that today, I am able to ride again. The problem I am currently faced with is getting the bike off the kickstand and into the "riding position". Physically I can do it, but it is painful. Once the bike is upright, everything is OK. I am open to most models, but prefer the DYNA series.
My questions to you guys are:
1) Has anyone here had experience lowering their bike/ can comment on how it affected ease of getting the bike upright from the parked position?
2) Any other ideas?
3) Anybody with a dyna low-rider that can compare to a dyna glide?

Sidenote: I've recently been on a Ducati monster 1100, and the bike was as easy to stand up as my pedal bike. Creating this effect on a Harley would be Ideal.

Last edited by Heli-Tim; 06-10-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: additional question...
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
mjremington
5th Gear

I'm kind of new to HD bikes but instead of lowering the bike I wonder if they make a jiffy stand that'd put the bike in a more upright and not so leaned out position? Making the transition to upright easier. Only down fall I could see is it might make mounting and dismounting a tad more difficult. But it couldn't hurt to research it. Best of luck and maybe somebody else in the forum will have a better solution.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

How about an air ride. You can slam it when you park so it is low and easy to get back off the stand and air it up once you are upright.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general I think HDs that come with floorboards (not touring) have lower seat height and center of gravity than most other models. Maybe push down with your foot on the curb side floor board to pop the bike upright before you get on it?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Heli-Tim
Novice

Thanks for the input so far guys.
@mjremington : I'll look into the jiffy stand idea. Not sure if it will completely fix the issue, but it may help.

@Hogpro: I'll look into that, it sounds good in theory. I'll do a bit of research.

@jmr1971: I've played around a little bit with this on a fatboy. It is still a bit to heavy for my back to overcome. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is at least one product available that holds the bike upright, using out-rigger wheels, which lift when you start moving. Also look for websites aimed at disabled veterans, as they are used to adapting bikes for all manner of challenges. Any Harley is heavy and IMHO lowering yours isn't going to help much with getting it upright, but will introduce other problems, such as reduced ride quality, hence comfort.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Heli-Tim
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is at least one product available that holds the bike upright, using out-rigger wheels, which lift when you start moving. Also look for websites aimed at disabled veterans, as they are used to adapting bikes for all manner of challenges. Any Harley is heavy and IMHO lowering yours isn't going to help much with getting it upright, but will introduce other problems, such as reduced ride quality, hence comfort.
I just watched a couple of videos on landingear.com . That is a really cool idea, appreciate the tip. In my cause, I don't anticipate having any issues once the bike is upright, so the outriggers may be a little more"support" then I currently require. Really appreciate the info though, and I will certainly keep it in mind should my situation change in the future!

Cheers!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
PigSnot
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you straighten the handlebars before raising the bike upright?
This takes some weight off the side stand and makes it easier to bring the bike to the riding position. When parking, do turn the bars to full left lock and weight the jiffy stand.

Last edited by PigSnot; 06-15-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Heli-Tim
Thanks for the input so far guys.
@mjremington : I'll look into the jiffy stand idea. Not sure if it will completely fix the issue, but it may help.

@Hogpro: I'll look into that, it sounds good in theory. I'll do a bit of research.

@jmr1971: I've played around a little bit with this on a fatboy. It is still a bit to heavy for my back to overcome. Thanks for the suggestion though!
I'm not sure what they make for the Dynas, but there are several different air suspensions for Softails out there. Mine leaned over really far stock. I have a Shotgun Shock on it now and slammed, it looks like the kickstand actually fits it. I didn't even have to buy the shorter on for lowered bikes.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Heli-Tim
Novice

Originally Posted by PigSnot
Do you straighten the handlebars before raising the bike upright?
This takes some weight off the side stand and makes it easier to bring the bike to the riding position. When parking, do turn the bars to full left lock and weight the jiffy stand.
Yes, this makes it significantly easier. Still hard on the back though. Appreciate the ideas! I'm hoping that when I sit on a Low Rider, it will just all work out , otherwise I'll at least have a few good options to look into

Quick Reply: Lowering for "balance"