Good Or Bad Shopping Experiences At HDF Post Your Shopping Experience Here

Terrible experience with Rob's Used Harley Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraJim
If you have any documentation at all that shows the exact product that was for sale and you purchased it, and the product you received was not what was advertised and purchased, then that is bait and switch. That practice is illegal. The FTC frowns upon that.
The OP has been asked if he has any documentation and so far he hasn't answered or avoided the question, so I'd say the answer is NO.

Without documentation, it's clearly a He said - He said situation and the credit card company and/or FTC won't come to his aid. He'll also lose in Small Claims Court.

The lesson learned is: Document! Document! Document!

There are too many crooks out there these days to believe that "their word is their bond" (didn't you see Jerry Maquire?) Often times, when making a purchase on the Internet (or Forum), the Seller will say "give me a call & I'll answer your questions". I simply communicate to them that I prefer email or PM so that I can keep my thoughts in order and there aren't any misunderstandings. If that doesn't work for them, then I see a RED flag and it doesn't work for me. End of story.

Knock-on wood, but I've never lost a dispute with my Credit Card company or PayPal, all because I had evidence showing that I was in the Right.

Also, when you're documenting something that you're interested in buying on a Forum, Craigslist, etc., print a copy of the ad, before you finish negotiations. It's very easy for a "less than honest" Seller to edit or delete his ad, leaving you without any proof.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:39 AM
BeSharp
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
The OP has been asked if he has any documentation and so far he hasn't answered or avoided the question, so I'd say the answer is NO.

Without documentation, it's clearly a He said - He said situation and the credit card company and/or FTC won't come to his aid. He'll also lose in Small Claims Court.

The lesson learned is: Document! Document! Document!

There are too many crooks out there these days to believe that "their word is their bond" (didn't you see Jerry Maquire?) Often times, when making a purchase on the Internet (or Forum), the Seller will say "give me a call & I'll answer your questions". I simply communicate to them that I prefer email or PM so that I can keep my thoughts in order and there aren't any misunderstandings. If that doesn't work for them, then I see a RED flag and it doesn't work for me. End of story.

Knock-on wood, but I've never lost a dispute with my Credit Card company or PayPal, all because I had evidence showing that I was in the Right.

Also, when you're documenting something that you're interested in buying on a Forum, Craigslist, etc., print a copy of the ad, before you finish negotiations. It's very easy for a "less than honest" Seller to edit or delete his ad, leaving you without any proof.
OK. The good news so far is that the credit card company allowed me to reopen the case, but required me to get a second opinion on company letterhead to prove that the product was a counterfeit. I was able (after sitting through a lecture on why never to buy Harley Products online) to get my local Rommel dealer in Annapolis (2 thumbs up!) to inspect the tour pack and give me a letter on letterhead saying it was not a genuine Harley part. So I now expect a more positive outcome from the card company. I had submitted photos of the counterfeit product where it was clearly labeled Fairing Factory before thinking that was enough, but the credit card company says that nobody there knows much about motorcycles and wouldn't know that Fairing Factory is not Harley -- makes sense.

To WestTexasRanger above -- I have plenty of documentation, invoices, etc. But they only say that I bought and paid for a "Tour Pack". The docs don't say a Harley or a Fairing Factory Tour Pack. But I have lots of emails back and forth where the guy admits that he "thought" it was Harley when he sold it to me and that it "looked really good". None of the docs specifically say, for example, SOLD - 1 Genuine Harley Davidson Tour Pack. The combination of the letter from HD, the pics from Fairing Factory matching my Tour Pack and the email trail where I specifically ask him if it's a genuine part and he says yes -- that's plenty of documentation and all that I have.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BeSharp
email trail where I specifically ask him if it's a genuine part and he says yes --
You've got what you need right there to WIN your dispute.

Keep working with the Credit Card company, no matter how many times you have to explain to non-motorcycle people, the difference between Genuine Harley Davidson motorcycle parts and aftermarket parts. Sooner or later it will soak in.

Good Luck and be sure to let us know what happens

Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Trikin
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd put a complaint in with the BBB also. They will put your complaint on their website for others to see as well.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 PM
ElectraRoadKing
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 transactions with him and both times were negative. The first time I ordered an inner and outer fairing for my older Ultra. I told him I am looking for the inner and outer fairings and everything needed to mount them and he said that everything needed was there. Paid for the fairings and the gauges. Started installing them and realized that it was missing the inner fairing handlebar cover. I called him back with a WTF, why am I missing part of the inner fairing and he said that he didn't have them available. So after back and forth, we came to the conclusion that it is in fact part of the fairing but he doesn't have them so I'm f*cked.

So the next transaction just arrived today. Car failed to yield in the middle of a roundabought and I laid it down. Needed front and rear crash bars. Called Robs Used Harley looking for the rears because they are obsolete. Said that he had a pair that were POWDER COATED black and had not been installed since being "POWDER COATED" black. Well they are black but painted, not powder coated, with quite a bit of rust trails on them...so now I get to take my freshly POWDER COATED rear bars to the powder coat shop to have the paint stripped and powder coated black.

Last edited by ElectraRoadKing; 09-21-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraRoadKing
I've had 2 transactions with him and both times were negative. The first time I ordered an inner and outer fairing for my older Ultra. I told him I am looking for the inner and outer fairings and everything needed to mount them and he said that everything needed was there. Paid for the fairings and the gauges. Started installing them and realized that it was missing the inner fairing handlebar cover. I called him back with a WTF, why am I missing part of the inner fairing and he said that he didn't have them available. So after back and forth, we came to the conclusion that it is in fact part of the fairing but he doesn't have them so I'm f*cked.

So the next transaction just arrived today. Car failed to yield in the middle of a roundabought and I laid it down. Needed front and rear crash bars. Called Robs Used Harley looking for the rears because they are obsolete. Said that he had a pair that were POWDER COATED black and had not been installed since being "POWDER COATED" black. Well they are black but painted, not powder coated, with quite a bit of rust trails on them...so now I get to take my freshly POWDER COATED rear bars to the powder coat shop to have the paint stripped and powder coated black.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 AM
BeSharp
Advanced

Here's an update on mine -- I got screwed. My credit card company did NOT support me. They closed by ticket because I had to provide 15 different items of "proof" about the issue and I missed one. They marked my submission incomplete and would not open it again for review. Needless to say I pulled my business from CapitalOne and no longer use any of their cards for anything. They lost on that one long-term

I'm hoping by bringing how much of a crook Rob is from Rob's Used Harley Parts to light here on the forum he'll lose more than enough business to make up for screwing me even if I don't see the benefits directly -- At least Karma will get a chance to bite him in A%#.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I've never had a problem disputing a charge with a CC company, however, my issues have been with unauthorized charges rather than a misrepresented item.

Make sure you review Robs on google and any other site you can find.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
BeSharp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Rob
Rob's Used Harley Parts is a great place to shop. Very friendly and usually has what I need in stock ! Highly Recommend !
Rob - you're such a liar and a cheat. Now you just tried to write a review of your own business under the same name as the post above. So you're not even that smart.

I am not "slandering" you because that would mean I was telling something false. You got off on a technicality with my credit card company because no "official" Harley dealer would write me a letter as an industry expert to specify that your tour pak was not a true Harley part.

You represented the part as authentic. You represented the part as black -- I asked you specifically both questions. I have the emails to prove it and if anyone wants them, feel free to PM me and I'll send them to you.

At the time of the purchase you wouldn't give me a refund even thought it wasn't black and basically held my money hostage until I agreed to have you paint it black for an additional charge.

Then when I pointed out to you and sent you photos that it was a fairing factory part and not authentic you basically said "oh well. I thought it was real and it looked good to me so just enjoy it."

You're a crook and a terrible business person. And I hope you lose tons of business. I'll continue to do my best to bring your practices to light.

If you still have my contact information and have the ***** to make this right I'm open to a fair settlement still.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
He's 56 miles away from you if you wanna make it right and get your money back. Maybe you guys do stuff differently than us boys here in Texas when folks rip us off.. Hope not.

Griz
Ya this. I would go shopping in person..........with maybe 4-5 of my friends who may want to check him out........

Quick Reply: Terrible experience with Rob's Used Harley Parts