Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

mackinaw bridge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 PM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default mackinaw bridge

Each time my wife got a new bike, that was one of the first pre-requisites...cross the Mackinaw Bridge. Only, she does the grated part! Gets off on it big time, ridin' the grates. I do the cement. I've read a lot here about folks having some apprehentions about crossing the bridge. Just get on that motorcycle and do it. If you gotta think about that stuff then you're gonna worry about every type of pavement each time you strattle the beast. We've crossed the bridge in every kind of weather except a snowstorm. Once it was raining so bad we couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. Then we got to the middle of the bridge and rode right out of that wall of rain into pure sunshine. If you've ridden accross South Dakota in August on your way to the Black Hills in that wind, you can easily negotiate the bridge on a windy day. Don't listen to people that tell you not to look down. I don't care if you are afraid of heights...the view is so spectacular you will forget how high up you are and just marvel at this amazing architectural feat and want it to continue on forever. We were lucky enough to score a room in Mackinaw City this July for the 50th anniversary of the construction of the bridge. Looks like it's gonna be a blast. We're ridin' up from Florida for the deal. Man, get on your bike and do the bridge!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: mackinaw bridge

geez, and wee yell at people for YELLING!! speak up a little man, i can't see that well anymore[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: mackinaw bridge

The Bridge is awesome....

I'm fortunate enough to live less than an hour from it