Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What is Really Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Red Ryder
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is Really Needed?

Hey all, so I dove in and bought a CSC Friendship III Sidecar-250 lbs., to attach to my 08 Ultra. The only thing done to Ultra mechanically is S&S True Duals and Stage 1 Kit, with download. Plan on two adults and two children riding. Adults 210 & 160, and kids 50 lbs., each. But also plan that sometimes, one adult and one child riding in sidecar.

But, before I spend around $900 for mounting it would be nice to know What is Really Needed to make my Harley run good without straining or damaging anything?

Do I need to upgrade rear gears, transmission, belt, cams, etc. Thanks for any replies, Later-

Old 08-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Red Ryder
Cruiser

wow, no one, just wanted to know how much extra $ I would have to spend, and what upgrades. Thanks, Later-

Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,722 Likes on 5,226 Posts

Side car will put a load on the bike even with no one in it. If it has a windshield even more.
The key is to go easy on it when loaded. keep RPM's up no lugging. Building up the engine may make it faster but will not make the effects of the load go away.
Good luck enjoy, Side car can be a lot of fun.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

A 40 hp Ural handles it's sidecar with over 400 lbs of humans on it just fine (though top speed is 70 with a tail wind), and people put them on Sportsters, so I'd think a big twin Harley would have no problem. There will be slower acceleration, more downshifting on hills, and much worse gas mileage. And you'll find cornering will be done in a more tame manner than you're probably accustomed to. Twisties will build should muscles, too. Your fork angle isn't optimum for a sidecar, but lots of folks have done it with no bad handling problems. If it seems you're feathering the clutch a lot more than you're comfortable with, you could always add a rear pulley with 2 or 3 more teeth, might even still be able to use the same belt. Be a little off the top end, but I doubt you'd be running 80+ with a hack, anyway.

I'd love to put a Liberty or Hannigan on my Tour Glide (S&S motor, wouldn't have a power issue like the original), but either would cost more than the used Ural I got for hauling groceries and a grandkid. And I'm not ready to give up my two wheel big twin just yet.

For your rig, I'd suggest looking into getting car tires - they're going to stay pretty flat on the road with a sidecar, and motorcycle tires wear faster, especially the drive tire. Car tires will wear much better, and should give you good traction. I hope your sidecar has the brake kit, without it, will take a lot more to stop. Braking - if you're like a lot of Harley owners and primarily use the rear brake, don't. It'll stop straighter much easier with both brakes applied, just the rear (with a brake on the car anyway), really pulls to the right.

Be very careful on right hand corners till you find the "flying" point, where the car wheel lifts above the pavement; you might be surprised how easy it is to do that. It'll do it on highway curves at speed, too, take it easy till you find the unique characteristics your rig will have. I'd recommend a few hours before taking the kids more than second gear around the neighborhood. Have fun!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Red Ryder
Cruiser

Thank You smitty901, it does have a windshield, so it will be a learning curve. Looking forward to having fun, Later-

Last edited by Red Ryder; 08-01-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Red Ryder
Cruiser

Thank You smitty901, it does have a windshield. I look forward to the learning curve and having fun.
Thank You Imold, has a brake and lean angle controller. Man, that is the information I was hoping to get, most appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to answer me, Later-

Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

07-08 have VERY tall gearing from the factory, lowering the gearing will amaze. 07-08 will barley pull 6th at 65.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Red Ryder
Cruiser

Thanks bigmbnoitall00, very use full information. What gear do you recommend going to? Later-

P.S. lots of deer here, live in the sticks, but that is a cool picture crossing water.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:15 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,722 Likes on 5,226 Posts

If my 1996 EVO Fatboy can do it I am sure your 2008 will. Just keep in mind what I said in the first post.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

thats not water,its SNOW. thats how we know its spring,when u can see the deer. your 08 uses a 32 and 66 tooth pulleys, ucan can find sprinter rears at 68 tooth, or hareley, baker, andrews 30 or 31 tooth front pulley. or eve industries makes a primary gear for the clutch basket thats a few teeth bigger. read up on in older touring threads it a common mod on the 07-08. even when not pulling a hack its a big improvement. lots less downshifting.

Quick Reply: What is Really Needed?