Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 AM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trike kits

Has anyone installed a voyager trike kit on their HD.are they any good.how much do they cost.are they safe.i c u don't hv to do anything to your bike and can easily dismantle and drive away.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:15 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,253 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I rode with a guy in Sturgis in 2014 who had one on his 98 FLH. I'd NEVER put one on any bike of mine. You have three wheels in contact with the road in the rear instead of two on a real trike. Cornering at highway speeds especially in the Black Hills was challenging for him. Aside from the awkward handling even at low speeds I have to admit it looks ridiculous with "training wheels" on the back. I stayed as far away from him as I could so nobody thought we were actually riding together.

They cannot be easily dismantled either. It's a lengthy process to remove it then you have the storage of it problem. If you want a trike buy a trike but I wouldn't consider one of these.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:50 PM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Thanks E8US for your reply.

Thanks E8US for your reply.after hearing that it will hv to b a proper trike.sounded good when I heard u cld keep yr bike intact and hv a trike.i need to decide now weather to trike my ultra or sell and buy a tri glide.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I'd expect faster than normal tire wear in back; just think about it, with 3 tires in back, two of them are going to scrub a bit on every curve. Even a sidecar rig wears the drive wheel faster with a motorcycle tire - the center of the tread takes the load all the time. The good part; you could run a much longer lasting car tire on the back without the cornering issue some folks claim, if you could find one to fit your rim.

This video will give you an idea of what installation would be like. You can see short leaf springs, but you don't see shock absorbers. Makes me wonder what kind of wheel hop this contraption might get occasionally. I suspect one wheel hitting a bump will tilt the bike slightly (sidecars do this) and on a really bumpy uneven road, it'll make the front wheel wiggle as it naturally tries to follow the bike lean, not dangerous but takes some getting used to. If you go with this kit, I'd sure get self locking nuts, considering the vibration this rig will have on a Harley.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by rockie
Thanks E8US for your reply.after hearing that it will hv to b a proper trike.sounded good when I heard u cld keep yr bike intact and hv a trike.i need to decide now weather to trike my ultra or sell and buy a tri glide.
There are independent suspension trike kits (real trike, replaces the stock rear end) that many people have said give you a better ride and handling than the solid axle Harley. Even installing it yourself, some of these kits can top $10,000. Could still be less than a new Harley trike. Do some homework on this, figure out which system you'd like best and what the costs are. Adding that outrigger wheel system would be my last choice; pretty sure I'd go sidecar before one of those.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,506 Likes on 3,335 Posts

I would never use one of those.. If I can't afford a real trike kit I will park the bike if I can't ride it... $10000.00 is what a trike kit will cost about to do a bagger I think.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:22 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I really wonder where some people get their info. There are multiple trike companies out there that make a product equal to or better than a Harley trike.

Hannigan, Lehman, Champion, are just a few. $10,000 would be a good start not including paint. A new TriGlide will set you back $33,000 +/- a few grand.

As for the 3 wheel option, it's cheaper and can be removed. To me, I'd drive a Vette and get rid of the bike before I ever consider that option.

Last edited by d-streetglidr; 08-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,506 Likes on 3,335 Posts

Hannigan is a really nice one, so is Champion. Frankenstein us a good DIY brand.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Frankenstein leaves the rear fender on. Not to hot on that one. Champion makes a nice one. CSC (california side car) only sells to distributors and they have to be installed.

I tallied up a nicely kitted Champion with the IRS, reverse, parking, rake, and some other mechanical additions. No cosmetics except single color paint. Came to just over $13,000. Add that to the $24,000 I have in my SGS and I would be on a new Tri Glide for less money. Not to mention the questionable resale of an aftermarket trike vs a HD trike.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

My dealer in Houston can get you into a Champion conversion for a little over $10K. That will include custom trees but no reverse. If on a budget,you can still add it later. Our 2011 Street Glide w/ Hannigan Transformer conversion has a Champion reverse but the trike is so light,I seldom use it. Our Hannigan conversion cost $16K but it has a loaded option list.

Quick Reply: Trike kits