Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Frankenstein conversion is complete

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

This is a great thread! It's really got me thinking I've always loved the looks of a trike. Not a fan of the HD offerings, but the Frankenstein kits look great, a stripped down no BS style. I always planned that when the day came I'd trike out my bike and ride until I drop, but more and more I'm thinking, 'why wait'?

Plenty to plan and ponder, but I can see a Frankenstein kit as the next step in the evolution of my Wide Glide

The following users liked this post:
NCBANDIT (01-20-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I hear that alotWHY did I wait. As fun as it is to drive a trike yes why wait. There few if any Frankenstein trike around me so I get questioned alot.
Everytime I go to my Harley Dealer they ask me to park my bike around back because it draws a crowd. And then they have to explain they don't sell them or do they sell the kits. My bike is 7 years old but since I put the kit on last summer I put 6000 miles on it in one summer and really didn't go anywhere, I ride mostly alone. Almost everything I heard about a trike is Wrong. I think the people that tell those stories have never ridden one. There's a picture of my bike somewhere in this thread. Do it doit now you'll love it.

The following 3 users liked this post by mcgee10:
crnt918 (01-12-2018), NCBANDIT (01-20-2018), TinCupChalice (01-06-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
This is a great thread! It's really got me thinking I've always loved the looks of a trike. Not a fan of the HD offerings, but the Frankenstein kits look great, a stripped down no BS style. I always planned that when the day came I'd trike out my bike and ride until I drop, but more and more I'm thinking, 'why wait'?

Plenty to plan and ponder, but I can see a Frankenstein kit as the next step in the evolution of my Wide Glide
IMHO your wide glide would look incredible with a fat tire Frankenstein kit. I ride one by choice because I prefer the way they ride over 2 wheels. It's not a cheap addition so I would try to find one to test ride first. If you're ever in my area you can take mine for a spin.

Last edited by NCBANDIT; 01-20-2018 at 08:27 PM.
TinCupChalice (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by mcgee10
I hear that alotWHY did I wait. As fun as it is to drive a trike yes why wait. There few if any Frankenstein trike around me so I get questioned alot.
Everytime I go to my Harley Dealer they ask me to park my bike around back because it draws a crowd. And then they have to explain they don't sell them or do they sell the kits. My bike is 7 years old but since I put the kit on last summer I put 6000 miles on it in one summer and really didn't go anywhere, I ride mostly alone. Almost everything I heard about a trike is Wrong. I think the people that tell those stories have never ridden one. There's a picture of my bike somewhere in this thread. Do it doit now you'll love it.
I was out riding today and it still amazes me the magnetism these trikes possess. I had multiple people ask me today if I bought it like that or made it. I was parked in downtown Wilmington getting ready to take off and a guy gets out of his car at a stop sign and comes over to ask about it with no regard to the traffic behind him. These things are ridiculously too fun.

Here she sits!!

Last edited by NCBANDIT; 01-20-2018 at 08:35 PM.
TinCupChalice (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by NCBANDIT
IMHO your wide glide would look incredible with a fat tire Frankenstein kit. I ride one by choice because I prefer the way they ride over 2 wheels. It's not a cheap addition so I would try to find one to test ride first. If you're ever in my area you can take mine for a spin.

I do agree, my Wide Glide would look fantastic with a Frankenstein kit. My Wide Glide is up on the J&S lift and I pulled it in to the middle of the garage and spent yesterday afternoon sipping beverages and walking around her visualizing how it's going to look

I was out riding today and it still amazes me the magnetism these trikes possess. I had multiple people ask me today if I bought it like that or made it. I was parked in downtown Wilmington getting ready to take off and a guy gets out of his car at a stop sign and comes over to ask about it with no regard to the traffic behind him. These things are ridiculously too fun.

Here she sits!!

Beautiful! If you've got people blocking traffic and jumping out of vehicles to check out your ride, you've done it exactly right Perhaps you need to, instead of saying 'magnetism', change it to 'animal magnetism'

I hope Frankenstein is giving you a commission on all the kits you've sold and will sell...

NCBANDIT (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Quote " I do agree, my Wide Glide would look fantastic with a Frankenstein kit. My Wide Glide is up on the J&S lift and I pulled it in to the middle of the garage and spent yesterday afternoon sipping beverages and walking around her visualizing how it's going to look ""

LOL! Your hooked now!! You might as well just order that bad boy!!

TinCupChalice (01-22-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM
mercury01
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Question .... Did you have to do anything about your tip-over sensor? I find in hard driving in twisty's, my Slim S will shutdown occasionally. Saw the dealer about it, but simply turning the sensor off triggered other error codes, so didn't work.

TinCupChalice (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by mercury01
Question .... Did you have to do anything about your tip-over sensor? I find in hard driving in twisty's, my Slim S will shutdown occasionally. Saw the dealer about it, but simply turning the sensor off triggered other error codes, so didn't work.
Hey Mercury,

Yes, I had the same issue when taking corners aggressively. Since we are not leaning, the bank angle sensor thinks you tipped over, due to the centrifugal force, and cuts the engine. My dealer reprogrammed the bank angle sensor to trike mode and that took care of the problem. The only after affect is the security system light stays on at all times, but it still works correctly. The dealer said this has always been the case and never could figure out why or how to correct it. This may be the error codes you where seeing.

To me, not having the engine cut off on fast corners was way more important than not having a dummy light stay on. I have put on 8,000 miles since with no issues.

TinCupChalice (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mercury01
Hey Mercury,

Yes, I had the same issue when taking corners aggressively. Since we are not leaning, the bank angle sensor thinks you tipped over, due to the centrifugal force, and cuts the engine. My dealer reprogrammed the bank angle sensor to trike mode and that took care of the problem. The only after affect is the security system light stays on at all times, but it still works correctly. The dealer said this has always been the case and never could figure out why or how to correct it. This may be the error codes you where seeing.

To me, not having the engine cut off on fast corners was way more important than not having a dummy light stay on. I have put on 8,000 miles since with no issues.

A very interesting and timely bit of information here

I'm a bit new to this game but from what I can gather the body control module <BCM> is accessed via the Digital Technican and under the options for vehicle set-up is 'external bank angle sensor' <BAS>. They select 'FLHTCUTG' and once that's selected the BCM is reconfigured as a trike.

But without an external BAS you'll get the electrical diagnostic light; I'd figure the only work around on that would be to physically install a #32495-98 bank angle sensor, the #69201702 mounting bracket, and the #69201698 harness wired to the BCM which would convert it to a true external BAS. HD trikes use the #32495-98 external BAS and as I recall, that was what was done with the HD sidecar install kits as well.

NCBANDIT, have you checked for any diagnostic trouble codes? I'd doubt it's throwing a DTC; in much the same way I get the electrical diagnostic light when I flip my headlight to low beam. The LED pulls so little voltage the CANbus thinks the low beam circuit is out so the diagnostic comes on but it's not throwing any codes.

I'll add this to my long list of things to do; I never use the dealer for anything but I also don't have a Digital Technician sitting in my garage so I guess I'll stop in and play nice and see if the local boys can set me up in 'trike' mode once I'm rolling. Having the engine cutting out while in a corner is a deal breaker

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 04-15-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: ...lack of coffee typo...
Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
A very interesting and timely bit of information here

I'm a bit new to this game but from what I can gather the body control module <BCM> is accessed via the Digital Technican and under the options for vehicle set-up is 'external bank angle sensor' <BAS>. They select 'FLHTCUTG' and once that's selected the BCM is reconfigured as a trike.

But without an external BAS you'll get the electrical diagnostic light; I'd figure the only work around on that would be to physically install a #32495-98 bank angle sensor, the #69201702 mounting bracket, and the #69201698 harness wired to the BCM which would convert it to a true external BAS. HD trikes use the #32495-98 external BAS and as I recall, that was what was done with the HD sidecar install kits as well.

NCBANDIT, have you checked for any diagnostic trouble codes? I'd doubt it's throwing a DTC; in much the same way I get the electrical diagnostic light when I flip my headlight to low beam. The LED pulls so little voltage the CANbus thinks the low beam circuit is out so the diagnostic comes on but it's not throwing any codes.

I'll add this to my long list of things to do; I never use the dealer for anything but I also don't have a Digital Technician sitting in my garage so I guess I'll stop in and play nice and see if the local boys can set me up in 'trike' mode once I'm rolling. Having the engine cutting out while in a corner is a deal breaker
Hey Tin Cup,

Your suggested work around does make sense but since my bike runs perfect, and the security system light doesn't bother me, I'm going to keep rolling as is. If I was just adding the kit as you are, I would consider looking into your idea for sure.

When they made the adjustment to trike mode they never mentioned any codes coming up, but when I brought it in later for maintenance they did say there was a code they have never seen before and wasn't even listed. LOL!! I told them not to worry about it since she is running so well.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein conversion is complete