Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tri Glide

Hawkeye:I own a Harley Tri Glide. I took delivery of it about 4 weeks ago. I live in the North East and the weather is snowy and cold. I have not been able to ride the trike yet. Do you have any words of wisdom for me. I am interested in some do's and don'ts.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Hawkeye
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oldmsocko -

I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is to take it slowly. I spent a fair amount of time tooling the local Wal Mart parking lot after hours before I hit real heavy-duty traffic. I don't know what your riding experience is but it took about 500 miles for me to make the shift from thinking two wheels to thinking three. I've been told by other trikers that is about average.

You're going to need to steer that puppy. No amount of counter-steering, body-english, weight shifting or anything else is going to get it to change direction. The trick is to push and pull at the same time. To turn left, pull with the left and push with the right at the same time. It's exactly the opposite to go the other way.

Left turns were the toughest for me. There is a real tendency to roll on throttle when you're pushing with the right hand in a left turn. All of a sudden you've got more throttle than you want. The good thing about a trike is you're not going to turn it over; you'll be forced out of the turn before that happens.

If you've been on two for awhile you'll have a real tendency to automatically put a foot down. Not a good idea on a trike. I've heard tales of folks running over their own foot or worse.

Remember your butt is about two axe-handles wider than it used to be. Be R-E-A-L careful pulling up to gas pumps and into garages until you get used to that.

Watch your tire pressures closely. Nothing will affect your handling and ride quality more than that. Start with the recommendations of your installer and experiment a little to find what works best for you.

Add about thirty minutes to any of your travel plans for every stop you plan to make. These critters attract a lot of attention and people will want to ask you tons of questions. That's OK with us. We consider meeting folks on our travels one of the best parts of being on the road.

Finally, ride the tires off it and have a great time. I'm getting close to 100,000 miles on trikes now (been cross country round-trip five times) and wouldn't go back to two wheels again even if I could. It's just way too much fun!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Oldmsocko -

I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is to take it slowly. I spent a fair amount of time tooling the local Wal Mart parking lot after hours before I hit real heavy-duty traffic. I don't know what your riding experience is but it took about 500 miles for me to make the shift from thinking two wheels to thinking three. I've been told by other trikers that is about average.

You're going to need to steer that puppy. No amount of counter-steering, body-english, weight shifting or anything else is going to get it to change direction. The trick is to push and pull at the same time. To turn left, pull with the left and push with the right at the same time. It's exactly the opposite to go the other way.

Left turns were the toughest for me. There is a real tendency to roll on throttle when you're pushing with the right hand in a left turn. All of a sudden you've got more throttle than you want. The good thing about a trike is you're not going to turn it over; you'll be forced out of the turn before that happens.

If you've been on two for awhile you'll have a real tendency to automatically put a foot down. Not a good idea on a trike. I've heard tales of folks running over their own foot or worse.

Remember your butt is about two axe-handles wider than it used to be. Be R-E-A-L careful pulling up to gas pumps and into garages until you get used to that.

Watch your tire pressures closely. Nothing will affect your handling and ride quality more than that. Start with the recommendations of your installer and experiment a little to find what works best for you.

Add about thirty minutes to any of your travel plans for every stop you plan to make. These critters attract a lot of attention and people will want to ask you tons of questions. That's OK with us. We consider meeting folks on our travels one of the best parts of being on the road.

Finally, ride the tires off it and have a great time. I'm getting close to 100,000 miles on trikes now (been cross country round-trip five times) and wouldn't go back to two wheels again even if I could. It's just way too much fun!
Hawkeye: Thanks for the info. I just can't wait to start riding it. A couple years ago I was able to test ride a DFT Conversion Trike. I spent about 2 hours on it. It certainly was a different experience compared to 2 wheels. I have about 3 more months to wait.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Hawkeye, thanks for the information on the trike. I had an '06 EGC w/voyager kit, so I'm thinking the trike will react about the same way? I'm waiting for my HD tri-glide to show up March-April at the dealer (put deposit)...ordered the rich red sunglo.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Take your time learning to ride the trike!

That is some of the best advice I have heard from anyone.

Riding the trike is a great experience but can be a little dangerous until you get used to it.

DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET DOWN!!!!!!

You can break a leg so easy its not funny or you can wind up worse off.
It is so natural to slow down and set both feet on the ground. Well Don't.
I'm guilty of it myself and you can get mangled up real easy if you run over your
own leg.

My wife has a DFT trike and lets me ride it if I behave myself. It is a blast to ride but it is different. When you are cornering and doing that push and pull routine it is tough to shift at the right time especially in heavy traffic. You will learn to shift before you get into the heavy part of the turn and then you can accelerate out of the turn much easier.

Do enjoy the ride!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Barb, your gonna love your new trike. I really like the color choice to. You will be running over the two wheel bikes in no time. Good luck with your new trike.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:24 PM
chaz976
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leman 05 trike 91 HD Electra glide rear brea drum to disk

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Bob
Lehman has already gone into their second generation of DISC brakes, as of this past October, they no longer offer Drum brakes... On the Touring HD's

The current version is Wilwood 4 piston calipers, on a "Top-Hat" type drum/disc... the parking brake is drum type.... This was brought over from the Monarch (Goldwing) product line, with a few mds and updates....

I liked the prior version, with a 2 piston caliper, and a lever activated pinch type caliper for the parking brake....
My trike rear breaks lock up after the first use of the day need to convert to disk and would like a parts list of what l can use for this conversion if anyone has such a list that was done and proven to work with the original rear master cylinder please send it to me. Thanks very grateful for any responses thanks

Old 04-14-2023, 05:31 PM
chaz976
Advanced
Default Rear. Trike Break conversion HD electraglide leman from drum to disk

Originally Posted by 0734
If you were to get a Harley/Lehman with rear drums, you won't have any stopping power issues. They work just fine, but they can be a pain to get properly adjusted. They do not self adjust.That just isn't a good thing if you have to clamp them down real hard to avoid the nut stopping suddenly in front of you. I have one and after several failed attempts to obtain a Lehman disc conversion kit, I gave up and built my own. It's amazing the lengths Lehman went to just to disguise all the various parts of different Ford rear ends they used. They told me I had to order a new rear end for $4,000 and they no longer offered the disc brake kit for the FLHT. I told them no thanks and designed and built my own system for around $300.
My trike HD Leman rear breaks lock up after the first use of the day need to convert to disk and would like a parts list of what l can use for this conversion if anyone has such a list that was done and proven to work with the original rear master cylinder please send it to me. Thanks very grateful for any responses thanks

Old 04-17-2023, 12:37 PM
chaz976
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Mazzurco -

I'm about an hour north of you in Pleasanton and have three trikes in my garage: his, hers and ours.

The scoop you're getting on the registration of trikes in California is incorrect. All three of mine are licensed on California paper as motorcycles and not subject to emissions testing. In the six years I've been on three, all in California, I've never had to have any of them emissions tested.

My first trike (one of the three I still have) is a 2002 FLHT with a Lehman Renegade kit. It has drum rear brakes as does my wife's 2004 FXSTS with Lehman Bandit kit. Both have stop-on-a-dime braking power. My 2007 Ultra with Champion kit has rear discs, will stop on a dime and give you change back.

I love to talk trikes. If you'd like more info or would like to get together sometime shoot me an email and we'll hook up.
Can you do me a favor lmk exactly what the renegade brake system has in it? I am going to convert my 95 keaman renegade from drum to disk need the system components to purchase and install. All l have on the system is it's out of a small Ford mustang? Thanks for any info you can send my way

Old 04-17-2023, 12:54 PM
chaz976
Advanced

Originally Posted by chaz976
My trike HD Leman rear breaks lock up after the first use of the day need to convert to disk and would like a parts list of what l can use for this conversion if anyone has such a list that was done and proven to work with the original rear master cylinder please send it to me. Thanks very grateful for any responses thanks
trike break conversion Can you do me a favor lmk exactly what the renegade brake system has in it? I am going to convert my 95 keaman renegade from drum to disk need the system components to purchase and install. All l have on the system is it's out of a small Ford mustang? Thanks for any info you can send my way

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?