Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Tri-Glide Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tri-Glide Owners

A little while back. Some Tri-Glide owners were experiencing a leak in their trunk compartments. I read that HD revised a new seal. I was wondering if anyone installed the new seal and have witnessed if that fixed the problem or not?

RJ

Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 AM
triglide1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer installed the new seal on mine & yes it did fix the leaking problem. The only problem I had when I got it back was all the scratches they put on the door and around the trunk. Luckily I was able to buff them out.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triglide1
My dealer installed the new seal on mine & yes it did fix the leaking problem. The only problem I had when I got it back was all the scratches they put on the door and around the trunk. Luckily I was able to buff them out.
Do me a favor,... When you go on a long run. Especially a run that ends up into the evening and you end up camping. In the morning. Look to see and feel if there's a dampness to touch in there.

RJ

Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems to be a trunk leak on those trikes built up to 1/09.....will check with the dealer to see when mine was built. Shouldn't we get a 'recall notice' if built within the 'leaking' problem period?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barbara, where is the gasket? On the door or on the frame around the trunk? The old ones were on the frame.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:32 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Currently, gasket on trunk not door, therefore, leak...

My hubby just finished washing/polishing the TriGlide using the hose here at home... He just stated the water just ran into the trunk...

He knew to watch for it so he dried it out immediately and left the trunk open for a while in the sun...

He has an appointment for this Tuesday, April 7th to have this 'recall' done at our dealer in Victoria, Texas... Supposed to take 1.2 hours to replace - usually we're there all day...

Zood, we'll be going on long trips (without cover) and know we'll hit rain; hail and maybe some snow... Will keep the board posted as to the results of the recall 'cause that's where our 'things' will be removed from on an almost daily basis...

Currently, in this area of Texas, we are still in a drought - so dry...

Barbara, we did receive a 'recall' notice - check out a site here on this thread - it's written up with the form, etc...

Last edited by cubbear42; 04-04-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: recall notice received...
Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Barbara: Would you please post where they install the new gasket?? Mine is also on the trunk but I have heard it both ways. Mike

Last edited by oldmsocko; 04-05-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Everyone....I haven't washed mine yet or ridden in the rain.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM
mackibc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Glide trunk Gaskit

I have a 2009 Tri Glide and had the trunk gasket replaced 3/25/09. I never notice it leaking but I got a call from the HD dealer to relpace it. It was on the body before and the new one is also on the body not the trunk lid. The only thing I don't like about the the new gaskit is that the trunk is very hard to close now and you really have to slam it HARD and I mean really Hard and the latch has no more adjustment. The HD shop said it will seat in but I'LL just have to see . I bought it 12/26/08 all stock expect Rush slipons with 2" baffles, waiting for a power commander V from Fuel Moto when they get a map for 2009 103 cu in Tri Glide. Bruce

Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished washing my today for the first time and there was water in the trunk. If I had to ride in the rain all day the objects in the trunk would be soaked.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Owners