Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Oil bud Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a few things about a crash-bar cooler that one has to understand. You really need to have one on the return side of the pump. If you put one on the pump output side, you could have drain back issues and dry starts. Being lucky enough to have an early TC-88/95, I was able to intercept the output at the tranny-to-engine connection. One would think that the crash-bar fills up right away but it doesn't. The thermostat controls the amount of oil going through the crash-bar the same as it does with any cooler. If you put too much....say 4.5 quarts in the pan on a change, it may blow the dipstick out as it is too full, but once the engine gets warmed up and oil is circulated around the bar, there is no danger of that. Actually, you know the motor being a dry-sump does not care how much oil is in the oil tank anyway...as long as it gets enough. I run 4-quarts like always and I am sure there is some residual oil left low in the crash-bar but not much. I would suppose when things are hot and the thermostat is open....around a quart of oil is passing through it. That leaves a quart somewhere in the engine, and 2-quarts in the pan. I just run 4 quarts as always. If you try and add an extra quart at changes....that is too much. The crash bar "takes the flow" when the stat opens, but there is little-to-nothing in the bar when the oil is cool. On a real hot day, the bar is hot all the way around, but on cool days...no oil at all passes around the bar and is directed right back to the pan until things get hot enough for the stat to open.

On an EVO...it's a no-brainer and you can hook the bar up to the filter wafer-adapter with no fear of drain-back. The EVO filters the oil after it leaves the engine anyway, so it does not care if any air-pockets develop. The TC filters the oil before it enters the engine and if you try to use any high-mounted cooler (like a crash bar) with the wafer-adapter...when it sits-up, the oil will drain back down into the engine through the wafer-adapter. The anti-drain back valve in the filter itself only holds what's in the filter.

Last edited by 0734; 09-19-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Moto_x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil bud 2006 Road Glide

I have a 2006 Road Glide with true track installed, will the oil bud fit ok with the true track?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto_x
I have a 2006 Road Glide with true track installed, will the oil bud fit ok with the true track?

I think so, the oil bud fits between the front of the oil pan and the back of the engine case if your true track mounts on the rear of the oil pan

Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 AM
thaidonnie
Stage I
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have owned an OIl Bud OIl cooler for over a year now, and live in temps of over90 degrees everyday here in THailand...and ride sometimes 8 plus hours a day.... My bike has never been as cool as it is now...easily 30 to 40 degrees cooler is the oil temps...and enough said, it' does what it says it will do, and is tough...

The following 3 users liked this post by thaidonnie:
fl68hog (02-13-2017), jayrocker (03-20-2017), Stretchman (02-14-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:08 PM
CVO2015
Intermediate
Default I have the Oil Bud too.

I installed it on my 2015 CVO Deluxe which has the 110, and when I test rode the bike at BBB it was hot enough to burn my leg. So when I bought mine I put the Oil Bud on at the dealer, installed a set of Jason Ward fans on the horn mount and installed mid frame air deflectors. Its very tolerable now and Engine Management Mode never came on again. Bike can idle all day long like it has water cooling installed on it.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:48 PM
desertduke68
Stage II
Default Oil bud cooler

I live in Phoenix, AZ
I ride year long 2003FXSTDSE
Summer temps here are 110+
My oil temps are never above 225 even in traffic. Bud has installed the last 2 oil coolers on my Harley's personally.
The best part is that the cooler is not noticeable. The price, yes you pay for what you get, and what you get is the best damn oil cooler on the market. Hands down, I have tried several and keep sticking with Oilbud!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Ted Shredz
Novice

After speaking to Bud Clark I get the idea he has some experience with air cooled engines. He’s an airplane guy. The cooler is inspired by the oil coolers he sees in aviation. The cooler is simple, durable, and compact for what it does. Bud even suggested to me that I don’t need the stock oil cooler on my 2012 FLHTK and can use his as a stand alone unit. I’m going to use the adaptor and have both because I’m seeing my rides getting longer and in hot weather more often....
Ditched the air temp gauge and put in an oil temp gauge in the batwing (Who uses an air temp gauge anyway?).