Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

V-Rod Engine on Trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I do believe Lehman makes a trike kit for the Vision.
I'd rather be poked in the eye with a hot poker before I'd get another Lehman assembled trike. After finding loose bolts on yours and the crummy paint match, their on my **** list also. Dang list is starting to get big and heavy.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I really like the California Sidecar kit. Thought a out having my 07 classic trikes with one of their kits. But the 2 year warranty moved me to HD. That was a fubar

Old 09-01-2010, 04:41 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
I really like the California Sidecar kit. Thought a out having my 07 classic trikes with one of their kits. But the 2 year warranty moved me to HD. That was a fubar
Like you I was going to have my 06 Ultra triked with a DFT kit but the 2 year warranty swayed me. What a joke of a warranty. It is a really GREAT warranty if you don't have any problems.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Retired Navy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has an '07 V-Rod on the floor that has never been titled that he triked with a Roadsmith kit The mechanic that does all the work on my trike told me V-Rod trike runs great. They're asking $22,000 for it. I've never ridden it but the thing looks fast just sitting there on the sales floor.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retired Navy
My dealer has an '07 V-Rod on the floor that has never been titled that he triked with a Roadsmith kit The mechanic that does all the work on my trike told me V-Rod trike runs great. They're asking $22,000 for it. I've never ridden it but the thing looks fast just sitting there on the sales floor.
I'll bet it would be a hoot to ride. Only problem with the V-Rod engine is its a pig at anything below 4,000 rpm, get above that and hang on.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'd rather be poked in the eye with a hot poker before I'd get another Lehman assembled trike. After finding loose bolts on yours and the crummy paint match, their on my **** list also. Dang list is starting to get big and heavy.
while lehman should have done a better job of whatever it is that they were contracted to do, the responsibility is on HD for the quality control. HD puts their name on the product and should have ensured the final product was as they intended.

switching gears and for what it's worth, lehman makes a very good conversion kit and i would recommend them to anyone interested in a trike before i would recommend a TG. after hearing all the complaints about the TG, i'm surprised anyone buys them thinking that it'll be exactly what they want right out of the box. it's never been the case with any harley and the TG was no different. still can't figure out why anybody was surprised by the end result.

grimm

Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grimm
switching gears and for what it's worth, lehman makes a very good conversion kit and i would recommend them to anyone interested in a trike before i would recommend a TG. after hearing all the complaints about the TG, i'm surprised anyone buys them thinking that it'll be exactly what they want right out of the box. it's never been the case with any harley and the TG was no different. still can't figure out why anybody was surprised by the end result.
I think if anyone took a 09 and up HD touring and did a trike kit no matter who the manufacturer is they would have some of the complaints the TG has. They would still have an under powered hot running beast, actually if they had the 96" engine it would be more under powered.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Coupe....I have actually laid-awake at night thinking about how one could design a pair of water cooled heads. I had a Kubota tractor that was water-cooled and worked off the principal of convection and the liquid was not pumped. Somebody with the proper machining tools, and some spare parts and time on their hands will do this one day.

I always come back to the picture of a beast that Ness tried one time. It was a overhead cam design using two external belts driven from the cam chest. God...that thing was ugly!

There was a special on TV some time back concerning the development of the V-rod. If anybody saw that, you will remember that the biggest problem they had with it was trying to hide the radiator so ***** G. could not see it. They had to design something that looked like it did not have a radiator before they could please him and were able to pull it off. Somebody can surely do the same with a bigger motor. I think it's doable...you just have to get past the looks and do not purchase one until say...the 5th. model year after introduction so we could all have time to fix the problems for them.

For goodness sakes....ATV's are water cooled and there is no reason why they can't figure out a way to get a water-jacket around the heads on a Harley. Drop the fins and there is plenty of room.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm
while lehman should have done a better job of whatever it is that they were contracted to do, the responsibility is on HD for the quality control. HD puts their name on the product and should have ensured the final product was as they intended.

grimm
Grimm: I couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing wrong with the Lehman trike kit, it is with the installer. While I would have elected to use a different trike kit, I can certainly slam the folks at Lehman that installed the kit. While I love love the way the TG rides and handles I only wish I would have done the conversion on my 06 Ultra.
I can not turn the clock back but what I have invested in my TG is probably only the beginning. I will do what ever it takes to make it to my liking. What HD did do is give me a good platform to work with. I would not recommend a TG to anyone that is not willing to spend a minimum of $2500 to get it cooled down. The only problem then is now you have successfully voided the factory warranty which pretty much you didn't have from the beginning.
I feel sorry for the folks that purchase a TG and can't do their own wrenching as the dealers bacically don't have a clue on how to work on the conversion. This formum is a "GOD" send to folks that share their experiences and how to overcome the issues.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 09-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well guys....I finally found something to disagree with. I have a Lehman kit and it is a very good and well built product. BUT...I would never recommend one to anyone solely based on poor customer service, or the lack of any service at all. The only comment (and a rather short one at that) from anyone at Lehman has been...."you have to go find a dealer". I have purchased parts that would work on my Lehman conversion from Champion and they will do it with a phone call, or an e-mail and a smile. Lehman is too afraid that somebody is going to copy or steal some technology from them to be of any use to me whatsoever. My next kit will not be a Lehman. I do think the MOCO could not have found a better company to partner with though....the MOCO and Lehman share the same attitude so they make a perfect match.

Quick Reply: V-Rod Engine on Trike