Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Hacked, Conversions and Trailering (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering-100/)
-   -   OEM or Conversion Trike? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering/713570-oem-or-conversion-trike.html)

MADHOG 12-07-2011 02:52 PM

OEM or Conversion Trike?

I do not own a Trike and have never ridden one and was curious about a few things.

Would it be more or less expensive to do a conversion or just look for a good deal on an OEM Trike? Is there a good chance that the OEM Trike will have less problems than the conversion?

Overall, how do you like your Trike, what is your opinion on owning a Trike; good and bad? I’m not getting any younger and I have some back issues, the OL has some knee/back issues, you know the drill…

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I did see a lot of response in this other thread, answers some of my questions. Any other feedback is still welcome.

Bigfoot1 12-07-2011 04:37 PM

I'm partial, since I run a new shop that uses Motor Trike kits, but aftermarket is the way to go. leave all else out of the equation and ride a TG and then an aftermarket with IRS. No comparison. Wheelbase on a Motor Trike is the same as the HD was to start, but it is alot wider than the TG and looks better as well. Conversions without a ton of frills are not out of line either. It comes down to personal taste, thats just my 1.5 cents.

MADHOG 12-08-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot1 (Post 9119579)
I'm partial, since I run a new shop that uses Motor Trike kits, but aftermarket is the way to go. leave all else out of the equation and ride a TG and then an aftermarket with IRS. No comparison. Wheelbase on a Motor Trike is the same as the HD was to start, but it is alot wider than the TG and looks better as well. Conversions without a ton of frills are not out of line either. It comes down to personal taste, thats just my 1.5 cents.

Excuse the ignorance; just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I'm assuming the IRS is "independent rear suspension?" I'm also assuming that wider wheels will give you a better, more stable ride?

Bigfoot1 12-08-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by MADHOG (Post 9122365)
Excuse the ignorance; just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I'm assuming the IRS is "independent rear suspension?" I'm also assuming that wider wheels will give you a better, more stable ride?

Yes, you are correct MADHOG. I've heard, and rode both the IRS and straight axle, and have a bit of time on both. I rode an 07 Ultra that I built using Motor Trikes Gladiator suspension, out of Texas to Iowa raining from Muskogee all the way to Dsm Ia. and didn't have a care it the world. The ride was great! I have several customers that would not consider anything other than a straight axle. Comes down to taste and how you ride I guess, but it's beneficial to look into both;

kentuckydave 12-09-2011 06:18 PM

Don't be afraid of doing a kit on your bike. We converted a Fatboy with a DFT kit or I should say I had it done buy a dealership. We haven't had any trouble at all with the conversion. I agree that the Independent Rear Suspension is the way to go. It gives a smooth ride. I would be sure to get disc brakes on the kit. I believe you will get more even braking without a pull from side to side.

We did have to get the engine worked on to get enough power. The original engine was a stock 88ci and we had it punched out to 95ci, ported and polished heads, 203 cams, gear drive cams and a power commander. It will now run with the big dogs and it does not fall back on the big hills.

If you have never ridden a trike, it is a change. Try to rent a trike or get a friend to loan you one in order to get the feel of a trike. We enjoy our trike and it really worked out well for the wife. She has ridden it through Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park at 12,000 feet about three times. She loves the thing!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. The guys that look at this site will be more than happy to give you their opinions.

My two cents!

billnourse 12-10-2011 08:00 AM

My personal experience:

Got a quote to convert the wife's 2007 SG. By the time we got the kit with all the options (reverse, easy steer, parking brake, plus the 103 instead of the 96) and had it painted and installed, the price of the conversion was 14,000 for a Champion, without any engine work. The trade in value of the SG was 14,000 and the trike was 32,000, so we got the TriGlide for 4,000 more than what the value of the 2007 conversion would have been and ended up with a 103, Ultra with 2 year warranty instead of SG.

I have been told that this was a high quote, and maybe it was, but it is what it is.

In looking at used prices, it seems to me that used prices are higher for factory trikes compared to kits.

As far as IRS goes, I have heard that the solid axle holds the road better, but that is the pitch from Lehman who makes solid axles. I have never ridden a IRS traditional trike, but I did ride a Spyder for a short distance, and couldn't tell that it was much better than the TriGlide.

Bill

Bill

memnoch451 01-05-2012 11:56 AM

I like Champion trike kits... Why? Easy to install right out of the box. I like the Independent better than solid axle as it makes a huge difference for the passenger. I put my wife on a solid axle for 300 miles and an "IRS" For 400 miles.. she told me never again should I darken the garage with a solid axle. It took me a few miles to get use to the trike vs the two wheels. Two wheels fast, three wheels Comfy and in my opinion safer.

Stock motors are ok if you change out the front drive gear or you my get left behind at stop lights.

Any other questions??? Just ask!

DanDolfn 01-07-2012 02:06 PM

Overall, how do you like your Trike, what is your opinion on owning a Trike; good and bad?

I had my 2011 Road King converted to a trike.

http://s7.postimage.org/8o6p5cc5n/Trike.jpg

Between buying a new Road King and paying for the conversion, I spent more than I would on a new TriGlide.

BUT, I got what I wanted.

The only thing I would have done differently was to get the rake kit up front. I had decided to wait to sell some parts before I order it, but I should have bit the bullet.

I'm dealing with the steering, but it's kinda like going back to manual steering on a car after getting used to power steering. It works, but it takes some effort.

Otherwise, my wife enjoys the trike FAR more than she liked going on on the bike. And I feel much steadier.

It was a good move for me.

Andrew Willingham 01-10-2012 11:53 AM

I would choose the Motor-Trike conversion hands down. There's not another conversion kit on the market that offers a better total package. Weight, Safety, Quality, Warranty, Ride, and don't forget the company that sells the products (they do all their own work). Motor-Trike's engineers have essentially used the same trike suspension designed for the Goldwings, BUT with a ZERO maintainence rear end... maybe I'm a little bias because I've installed over 30 Motor-Trike kits on Harley's this past year... I sit here and try to think, "hmmm how many in the past 2 years have been back for repair, service, or even warranty?" Heck, I can't think of one! Another plus to the Motor-Trike Gladiator (IRS Conversion) is on-the-fly air ride suspension, standard. If you prefer a smoother ride, lower the pressure... want a better handling, firmer ride? raise the pressure. All with the push of a button! I can keep on and on...

Ps. Electric Reverse is for the birds...

Motor-Trike now offers a gear driven reverse that is awesome (very similar to the Champion reverse)

that's my 2 cents, if I can help you out, just let me know... I'm sure there is a Motor-Trike dealer close by that would love for you to take a test drive. See for yourself... experience the difference.

AndrewW1320@live.com

mike191 07-14-2014 05:57 PM

97Ultra Conversion

I have a stock 97 Ultra and have been dreaming about a trike. I have major nerve damage in one leg and holding up a bike is very difficult. My Ultra is low, low mileage but is the the original 1340. I have read about power and front rake. My question is, Can this year successfully be converted, what kit and what extra do I need to do? Thanks

P.s. I am 70.