Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Fixed Axle vs. Ind. Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM
PackN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Axle vs. Ind. Suspension

How much better is one from the other ?? Stability,Comfort.Rideability ? Is the Fixed going to ride like a Rigid?

PackN

Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can only answer from a solid rear axle view point. The solid rear axle is the better choice I think because with a IDS you have multiple moving parts that over time can wear out or have connections that come loose. CV joints can have problems over time. The solid rear axle is durable for the long haul. I have a friend who has a trike with IDS and has had to repair his due to bad welding and a cheap design for the grease points on IDS.

As far as ride goes, one thing I have seen over and over with the IDS is body roll when the trike is turned at a quick speed. This could be a result of the rider having the suspension set for a soft ride. Its true the IDS will give a slightly better ride over un-even road surfaces, but honestly how often are you riding over such a rough surface. My trike kit has a on board air compressor to adjust the ride as needed. The solid rear axle with a good suspension will ride great

Price for a quality IDS is going to be higher compared to a solid rear axle and the IDS will require regular maintenance compared to a solid rear axle. The only adjustments I make are the rear brake shoes ( mine has drums not calipers ) and I check my belt tension.

Tom

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 12-31-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

From Trike Shop:

The smooth ride of the Roadsmith HT1800 is primarily due to our innovative suspension system that offers a ride like no other trike. The Trike Shop was the first to offer Independent Suspension for trike conversions over 13 years ago. The cynics said it would never work. They’re eating those words today. Talk to anyone who has actually ridden an Independent Rear Suspension and a solid axle system trike for a period of time, and ask them which one rode better.

You can’t deny Independent Rear Suspension is the way manufacturers of cars; SUV’s and ATV’s are going. Trikes are no different. These trikes are built with a purpose “Touring”.

http://www.trikeshopofdaytona.com/gl1800.html

Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

From Bazooka:

I think that they are both great. I don't see any huge advantage of independent over solid axle and Ive ridden both a pretty good bit. The solid axle machines are less maintenance and tend to cost less and the independents have a nice ride.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/gener...le-trikes.html

Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM
morrishuckeba
Tourer
Talking

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
From Trike Shop:

The smooth ride of the Roadsmith HT1800 is primarily due to our innovative suspension system that offers a ride like no other trike. The Trike Shop was the first to offer Independent Suspension for trike conversions over 13 years ago. The cynics said it would never work. They’re eating those words today. Talk to anyone who has actually ridden an Independent Rear Suspension and a solid axle system trike for a period of time, and ask them which one rode better.

You can’t deny Independent Rear Suspension is the way manufacturers of cars; SUV’s and ATV’s are going. Trikes are no different. These trikes are built with a purpose “Touring”.

http://www.trikeshopofdaytona.com/gl1800.html
also here is the warranty form Rodesmith.
Warranty
The Trike Shop has an unparalleled history of customer service and satisfaction and we put it in writing, with the best warranty in the market. Your
trike comes with a full 3 year 1,000,000 mile warranty on the entire trike kit. We can offer this because we know with our over 10 years of producing
this type of conversion kit, we do it right the first time.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
memnoch451
Stage III

Independents seem to have a better ride for the passenger which is pretty important if your wife is like mine and can chew your ear off. 4000 miles on an IRS my wife was fine.. after 250 - 300 on a solid... she was not liking me or the solid axle. At that point it's a no brainer for me... IRS!