Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

The Street 750 Moves Up in the World to Sport Standard

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Don’t know the 1st thing about them but my buddy that is the sales mngr at the local Dealer has told me they are becoming pretty popular.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Harleynewb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish they were more popular around where I live,as I have seen only one besides mine. I would like to get a few people that has the Street together,to have sort of a club. I'm still in a learning stage on the Street myself,but what little time I've had mine I can say they perform well and ride different than anything I have ridden.

Last edited by Harleynewb; 11-17-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM
chesnutlane
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Just picked up a used 2015 750 with 8k on the odometer for 3600 for my 16 year old son. i was surprised at how easy it handles in town if he cant learn to ride it I dont think he can ride any bike. First tank of gas got me over 50 mpg with me riding it fairly hard. As you have all mentioned with the mirrors and raising up the rear brake pedal he should be good to go. I have not pulled the plastic side covers off yet to see if their is a spot for insurance/registration have you guys found a good spot? I ride a 3rd gen Honda Magna 750 amazing comparing the small throttle body to my 4 carbs.

Again Hello every one

Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,379 Likes on 1,163 Posts

There’s only two things that Harley needs to do to make it a good selling bike . Change that fugley gas tank and put white lettering on the tires.
Then make the dealers sell it for $ 4,999 for the next ten years !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 06-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

That thing is way to heavy to have the word "sport" anywhere near it. Its literally 100lbs heavier than the bike it was created to go up against(fz07). If your limited to only riding whatever has a harley badge then yeah its probably as sporty as your going to get...

Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
There’s only two things that Harley needs to do to make it a good selling bike . Change that fugley gas tank and put white lettering on the tires.
Then make the dealers sell it for $ 4,999 for the next ten years !
I bought my 2015 Street 750, new, for $4500. It was a heck of a bike for that price, and a no-brainer. At $4999 they should be able to sell them all day long. At $7599, that puts it up against some pretty serious competition for the dollar.

I just saw that Harley Australia has apparently slashed the price of the Street Rod from $12,995 down to $9,995. That's a pretty big drop, and probably more appropriate for the bike given the competition it's up against.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 PM
EGBigelo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chesnutlane
Hello,

I have not pulled the plastic side covers off yet to see if their is a spot for insurance/registration have you guys found a good spot?
I put mine in a ziplock bag and wire tied it to a wire harness under the seat. That's really the only place I could find to put it.

The following users liked this post:
chesnutlane (06-23-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:07 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Haha

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
There ain't a bit of "Sport" in that machine. A 1982 Honda Nighthawk beats it like a drum.
hahaha

Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Document Storage

Originally Posted by chesnutlane
I have not pulled the plastic side covers off yet to see if their is a spot for insurance/registration have you guys found a good spot?
Under the plastic side cover is a tube that goes crosswise. My registration and insurance card went into a plastic baggie before getting stuffed in that tube. Down the road I may look into some sort of handlebar or tool bag up front.

In the past I've carried documents in my jacket pocket or in a side pocket of the saddlebags. Then I got another jacket or decided to leave the throw over saddlebags at home for some reason or another. I'm halfway thinking of getting a windshield bag, but see the same thing happening if I use it.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Default My Street Series Manifesto

I started riding on an xg750 last year and have put 11k miles on it in two seasons of riding. Most of that was mundane commuter duty on rural interstate highway. It has hauled my overweight, six foot tall frame on day trips of up to 300 miles and weekend trips of 400 miles, those while loaded down with luggage. The bike does OK on those trips, but really appreciate dismounting the bike at the end of those rides. Keep in mind that mine is not the physique the bike is really sized for.

It was bought during the 2016 model year closeout for 20% off. It drinks regular gas, and it came with a free tires for life deal, all of which helps keep the cost of ownership down. Be forewarned that the tires are an odd size and thus expensive if you have to buy them yourself.

As for performance, the xg750 will get its *** kicked by a lot of smaller bikes. It does the mundane daily commute at freeway speeds just fine, but you aren't going to accidentally find yourself way over the speed limit. Nobody makes anything beyond stage 1 performance parts.

That brings us to available modifications. Now in its fifth model year, one would expect H-D to have significant upgrades and modifications available. One would be disappointed. The limited number of mods available from H-D make it clear that the Motor Company plans for you to go buy another bike rather than outfitting this one to meet your needs. They cover some basic accessories, but most of the offerings seem to be cosmetic trinkets. It would have been good if they had designed the bike to use as many Sportster accessories as possible so we could partake of that existing supply of parts.

There isn't all that much third party support compared to the other bikes in the line up. Several manufacturers in India and Thailand make a variety of forward controls, sissy bars, engine guards, and auxiliary light bars. Saddleman and Corbin offer some seats. Between H-D and the third parties you can come up with something for most modifications that you want to make, even if it's not exactly what you were looking for.

My bike currently has a baby bagger theme going on with some cheap MotoCentric throw over saddlebags and a Slipstreamer Mini-Police windshield. It's probably getting an all Vance & Hines stage 1 treatment in early 2019. After that it may get reworked with some forward controls, a Memphis Shades batwing fairing, and maybe some hard bags.

It seems to be a good enough starter and commuter bike for somebody seeking utility and not a thrill ride. It's going to be a good enough starter bike for my nephew and his girlfriend as soon as they complete the MSF course.

I'd like to see prices come down on some used bikes, but I'm not seeing that many of them. Most of those have extremely low miles, so prices remain high. There seem to be as many people buying them laddering up as there are people holding onto them.

I'd like to see H-D expand the line up to include a real cruiser with forward controls and either a scrambler or ADV variant. If they start using this engine and frame to play in some areas that they currently aren't dabbling in, then I'll start to have some faith that this is a product line that is going to stay around.

Quick Reply: The Street 750 Moves Up in the World to Sport Standard