Street 750 vs Sportster 883

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Default Street 750 vs Sportster 883

Anyone owned both of them?

Reason I'm asking, my 19 year old daughter rides the 1997 883 Sportster. Today we took an Intermediate Riders Course, the school had Police Road Kings, Police Dyna's, Suzuki TU250 and Street 500's for us to ride in the class. My daughter really liked the Street 500 that they had with a low/reach seat on it. When she heard they had a Street 750 she started talking about selling the 883 and getting one.

I can see pros and cons either way, The old Sportster is easy to work on, but it's air cooled carb, and 22 years old. The street 750 has less torque, but more horsepower. Streets don't seem to hold their value very well, but that makes used ones pretty cheap.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,675 Likes on 5,200 Posts

Some may disagree but you ask. If you taking the Street 750 witch I own one the Sporty is a cooler bike. But if you are looking at the Street ROD 750 that is a fine machine. Same basic engine as the Street but beefed up and the bike is a more finished product. I do own a Street 750 so this is based on what I have sitting here.
Compare the Street ROD 750 to the others. If you buy a Street 750 look for a low miles used one they give them away.. I have a friend that has 30,000 miles on a Street 750 with not issues at all.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:42 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Some may disagree but you ask. If you taking the Street 750 witch I own one the Sporty is a cooler bike. But if you are looking at the Street ROD 750 that is a fine machine. Same basic engine as the Street but beefed up and the bike is a more finished product. I do own a Street 750 so this is based on what I have sitting here.
Compare the Street ROD 750 to the others. If you buy a Street 750 look for a low miles used one they give them away.. I have a friend that has 30,000 miles on a Street 750 with not issues at all.
Problem with the Street Rod is seat height. Daughter is 5'1" in heels. The Street she rode in the class had some sort of low seat on it. Her 1997 Sportster has a Corbin Reach seat on it. But she hasn't sat on a Street Rod, We'll probably visit a dealership next weekend.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,277 Posts

She's almost certainly not going to like the Street Rod, the seat's even higher than the Street 750.

The Street 750's a fine bike, and probably more suitable for her than a Sportster. I've read comments from several women who hate that the Sportster is often referred to them as being appropriate, because Sportsters are comparatively quite top-heavy. The Street feels a lot lighter and is easier for a smaller person to handle. The 500 she rode weighs about the same as the 750, really the only difference is a lot more engine on the 750.

The Sportster engine has more torque, the Street has more power, and the Sportster weighs more than the Street. Net result is the Street 750 will run away easily from a Sportster in any type of race (as long as the revs are spinning); just looking at the 0-60 times as posted on https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/, the Sportster XL883 hits 60 in about 6.3 seconds, and the Street 750 does it in about 4.6 seconds.

The big advantage to the Sportster is the aftermarket. If she's into customizing and personalizing the bike, the Sportster has decades of parts and options available. With the Street, there's pretty much nothing out there, there's little aftermarket support and not very many Harley factory optional parts are available either, certainly nothing like what's available for the Sportster.

Yes there is a low seat for the Street; combining that with the lighter weight overall and the lower center of gravity and it's no surprise that she liked the Street. It drops the seat height by about 1.5 inches and moves you about 1.25" closer to the bars. For someone who's 5'1", that would probably make a dramatic difference. On top of that, the seat is narrower, and that makes a big difference in your ability to reach the ground.

If looking at a used Street 750, you probably want to stick to 2016 or later, as the 2016s got upgraded brakes. The initial reviews on the Street were generally complimentary but pretty much every review complained about the 2015 model's brakes. I had a 2015, and thought the brakes were adequate, but the 2016s got Brembos IIRC so I'd be inclined to look at a 2016 or later. Then again, I bought my 2015 new for $4495, which is really hard to argue with. It was a Riders School model that they were selling, had never been titled so it was sold as new, with 1300 miles on it, for $4495, which was only $500 more than the Street 500s they were selling (also from the Riders School). Still had over a year of warranty left on it. So, a deal like that is fairly hard to pass up.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 04-01-2019 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VortecCPI (07-24-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
Problem with the Street Rod is seat height. Daughter is 5'1" in heels. The Street she rode in the class had some sort of low seat on it. Her 1997 Sportster has a Corbin Reach seat on it. But she hasn't sat on a Street Rod, We'll probably visit a dealership next weekend.
I hear that loud and clear. The 750 Street , the newer ones are a good bike , the engine is solid, newer ones have brakes meeting at least some rider idea of what they should be. Sporty's are cool and newer ones are reliable . If she is going to keep riding maybe looking at a couple year old softtail.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
She's almost certainly not going to like the Street Rod, the seat's even higher than the Street 750.

The Street 750's a fine bike, and probably more suitable for her than a Sportster. I've read comments from several women who hate that the Sportster is often referred to them as being appropriate, because Sportsters are comparatively quite top-heavy. The Street feels a lot lighter and is easier for a smaller person to handle. The 500 she rode weighs about the same as the 750, really the only difference is a lot more engine on the 750.

The Sportster engine has more torque, the Street has more power, and the Sportster weighs more than the Street. Net result is the Street 750 will run away easily from a Sportster in any type of race (as long as the revs are spinning); just looking at the 0-60 times as posted on https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/, the Sportster XL883 hits 60 in about 6.3 seconds, and the Street 750 does it in about 4.6 seconds.

The big advantage to the Sportster is the aftermarket. If she's into customizing and personalizing the bike, the Sportster has decades of parts and options available. With the Street, there's pretty much nothing out there, there's little aftermarket support and not very many Harley factory optional parts are available either, certainly nothing like what's available for the Sportster.

Yes there is a low seat for the Street; combining that with the lighter weight overall and the lower center of gravity and it's no surprise that she liked the Street. It drops the seat height by about 1.5 inches and moves you about 1.25" closer to the bars. For someone who's 5'1", that would probably make a dramatic difference. On top of that, the seat is narrower, and that makes a big difference in your ability to reach the ground.

If looking at a used Street 750, you probably want to stick to 2016 or later, as the 2016s got upgraded brakes. The initial reviews on the Street were generally complimentary but pretty much every review complained about the 2015 model's brakes. I had a 2015, and thought the brakes were adequate, but the 2016s got Brembos IIRC so I'd be inclined to look at a 2016 or later. Then again, I bought my 2015 new for $4495, which is really hard to argue with. It was a Riders School model that they were selling, had never been titled so it was sold as new, with 1300 miles on it, for $4495, which was only $500 more than the Street 500s they were selling (also from the Riders School). Still had over a year of warranty left on it. So, a deal like that is fairly hard to pass up.
Originally Posted by smitty901
I hear that loud and clear. The 750 Street , the newer ones are a good bike , the engine is solid, newer ones have brakes meeting at least some rider idea of what they should be. Sporty's are cool and newer ones are reliable . If she is going to keep riding maybe looking at a couple year old softtail.
Thanks for the info on the brakes, I did not know that, so I will keep it in mind. We most likely will look for a used one.

At the riding school they had an assortment of bikes, Suzuki TU250, Street 500, Police Dynaglide, and Police Roadkings. I got her to try the police Dyna it had the big wide police seat on it and she could barely tiptoe the bike, she did very well once she got rolling, but pulled in the clutch too much in one slow corner, lost momentum and dropped it. Police bikes have lots of crash bars on them so no harm done, but it was so heavy she couldn't pick it up by herself. Which she could with the street.

As for aftermarket, she's not real big into customizing her bike, she likes a set of saddle bags, the seat has to fit, she likes an engine guard/crash bar, and a sissy bar to strap her backpack to. From what I can tell all of those are available for the street. She mostly does short rides to school and work. Not into touring or long trips. She has been riding the sportster for over a year and a half, she likes it, but when she got on the Street 500 in the class she couldn't believe how light it felt, even though it's only about 25 lbs lighter than her Sportster.

Basically she rode the Street 500 for 4 hrs in the training class, liked it better than her Sportster, I can't come up with any reason why she shouldn't buy one if she wants to. She is spending her money.

I'll have her give a Softail a sit too. There are lots of used Softails around.

Last edited by VAFish; 04-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 AM
Friedl
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

My son likes his Street 750 a lot, and stage 1'd it. It has plenty of power, and he's modded it a bit.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:20 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Anyone owned both of them?

Reason I'm asking, my 19 year old daughter rides the 1997 883 Sportster. Today we took an Intermediate Riders Course, the school had Police Road Kings, Police Dyna's, Suzuki TU250 and Street 500's for us to ride in the class. My daughter really liked the Street 500 that they had with a low/reach seat on it. When she heard they had a Street 750 she started talking about selling the 883 and getting one.

I can see pros and cons either way, The old Sportster is easy to work on, but it's air cooled carb, and 22 years old. The street 750 has less torque, but more horsepower. Streets don't seem to hold their value very well, but that makes used ones pretty cheap.
The 883’s air cooled, looks and sounds better, Titlewave of after market parts, upgradable to 1200 cc if you want the extra grunt, And Harley’s been making them for over 100 years.

The 500 and 750 street engines are water cooled, water pumps radiators to get holes in higher maintenance, more **** to go wrong with and sound like a sewing machine

KISS = Keep it simple stupid.

Id go for the 883 iron, bullet proof engine , parts are so easy to come by, and all the bugs of the old v Twin design have been ironed out over the last 50 years.

Wiz 🍻

Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

The Street 750 is not a crotch rocket 750, it does not feel or sound like any Harley you have ridden. The Street is easy to maintain. Oil change can be done in minutes pull one plug and filter easy to get to . pour oil in done. Everything one hole .
The 750 has a wide RPM operating range. They will run a lot of miles with not issues.
They are a Cheap bike, wiring is poorly shielded, The mirrors suck, I have never met anyone that did not need to fix that. No they don't hold resale , that said you can darn near steal a low mile used one. In the Street version the bike is made to be a starter and it is not a bad bike..
Keeping it simple would be the Street or the Street Rod., Gas oil and ride,
I know the Street 750 will take a beating. Having a sidecar on any bike puts stress on it. The Street 750 hardly knows it is there. More and more aftermarket parts are showing up for the Street. many of over seas You can not really compare a Street 750 and a Sporty two different worlds.
Yes it tugs it well, fast and without any problems. I have seen Sporty's with the same hack that had issue holding Highway speed. I do not think the Street 750 is a great bike nor do I disrespect the Sporty. The Street can be a good option for some.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H4cwY4]

Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
The 883’s air cooled, looks and sounds better, Titlewave of after market parts, upgradable to 1200 cc if you want the extra grunt, And Harley’s been making them for over 100 years.

The 500 and 750 street engines are water cooled, water pumps radiators to get holes in higher maintenance, more **** to go wrong with and sound like a sewing machine

KISS = Keep it simple stupid.

Id go for the 883 iron, bullet proof engine , parts are so easy to come by, and all the bugs of the old v Twin design have been ironed out over the last 50 years.

Wiz 🍻
She has a 1997 883 now. So I doubt she would buy a new 883 iron. She's considering buying a used 750 Street.

The aftermarket, or lack there of, for the Street is an issue, but not really a big one, she doens't want to customize her bike anymore than a highway/crash bar, passenger backrest and luggage rack and maybe some saddlebags. All of that is available for the Street.

Quick Reply: Street 750 vs Sportster 883