HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

<2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Default Moving the MASCOT

Well, the Mascot is safe and sound in Chespeake VA 8-18-12.

Mike AKA 92FLHS from the Roanoke VA area ran it all the way down to just outside Richmond, VA at Steelhorse Harley Davidson on 360 and Mike AKA Mike_M and I ran it back to Chespeake,VA. Will add some highlights and create an album. Had a great time. Only 200 miles for our leg but could not have ask for a better day or riding partner. Hopeful will catch up with 92FLHS someday and make the dieing elephant trip back to my home town, Williamson,WV were I got my first? 250 Zundapp. HA. Anyway thanks Mike_M for making my trip so enjoyable. Know I slowed you down maybe a bit but it sure is enjoyable riding behind someone who knows what he is doing and were he is going. Thought they were going to do a cavity search on me getting on ferry. They let Mike thru no problem and at first I did not catch it was a security check and told the man he could not look in my bags. They were stuffed since I did not know what the weather was going to do and came preparied. He gave my bike the mirror check and just peered in top of bags. Thank goodness. Hate it when they put my dry undies on the ground. Interesting note, filled up at 101 miles. Only took 1.85 gallons. How cool is that. Life is good.

Also thanks Rene AKA FXD2003 RIDER for putting my trip together.

another thread on this
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hdfor...18-august.html

Attached Thumbnails &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-1use.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-2buse.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-img_0583.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-img_0597.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-img_0613.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts
Default 08/25/2012 update

Check outs thread:

Mascot Travels 25 August 2012

Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Default 08/26/2012 update

Check out this thread:

Mascot Travels 26 August 2012

Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Default 09/07/2012 update

Update by Lyttuch and Wakko47

Originally Posted by Lyttuch
Sunday, 2 Sept:

Left the house at 1015 to try and arrive at Destination HD a little early. Had some shopping to do in J&P and figured I could get it out of the way before The Crew arrived for the handoff. Took the slab (I-95) north from Melbourne to save some time. Beautiful day for riding; temps in the low 80s, partly cloudy, but only enough to keep the sun from being a nuisance. Got passed by a group of 8 or 10 riders...I was doing 75 and just enjoying the ride. Got to Destination HD and was wondering where to park when I see this group standing around a table with a big banner on it...oh well, there goes my grand plans for shopping early LOL.

Met quite a few of the The Crew of which I only got 3 names; there was no way I was going to remember the 50 people who were handing off...ok, maybe there were only 5 or 6, but still...The ones I was able to spare beer battered brain cells to remember were JaxHarleyRdr, Harvey, and Tom T-Bird. After the obligatory photo-op and official signing of the Mascot, some of us chatted for a bit, while the others shopped.

Here's Tom T-Bird and Harvey.

After about half and hour the party broke up, with Harvey offering to lead the way on a ride of the Loop, which I had not done before. It was quite a nice ride out through the swamps and woods, seeing people fishing and Kayaking in the streams and bayous, out to Flagler beach and nice ride north along the ocean...a lot of people were taking advantage of a the beautiful weather and swimming, surfing, and fishing. JaxHarleyRdr was hungry and I hadn't eaten, so he suggested the 2 of us break off and head into Finns, where we had a nice lunch and a beer on the upstairs balcony overlooking the beach.

After parting ways, I decided to head south along US1 rather than back down I-95. After getting past Daytona I'm glad I had called ahead to the governor and had him stop any other traffic on US1 south...well it seemed that way anyway . I ran into almost no traffic until Rockledge. What a nice ride with not having to worry about the random cager out texting away!

Arrived back in the garage about 1715, 217 miles. It was nice to meet all you guys, even if I can't remember all of who was whom. Harvey, thanks for introducing me to the Loop. Eddie, thanks for suggesting Finns.

Great day!

Wednesday, 5 Sept:

Got out of work at 1600, rode home to walk and feed the dog, then back on I-95, this time headed south to meet up with Wakko47 at the junction of I-95 and the Florida Turnpike.

I got as far south as Palmbay and decided the ugly dark blue clouds I was staring at warranted a change of attire. So, I pulled over, rummaged through my saddlebags and brought out my rain gear. Got it on and headed out again. 10 minutes later and I was riding through a thunderstorm...I'll tell you what, lightening is quite the attention getter!

I soldiered on though and got in behind a couple of vehicles that had slowed down a bit, deciding those coming up behind me would be more apt to see the car's tail lights along with my own and slow down, rather than just mush me into a puddle. My rain gear did its job well, but no amount of rain gear will keep you dry once a river starts running down your neck. I felt it slowly working its way down my chest; of course my gloves had long since soaked through. Had the interesting experience of riding through standing water at 60 mph, not once, but 3 times. Talk about a puker factor LOL!

The rain stopped a couple minutes before I arrived at the handoff point, but started up again, once I was parked at a Wendy's, so I went in, sat down and waited for Wakko47 to arrive. I was beginning to think he may have been caught in a tidal wave and drowned when he pulled in.

We chatted about friends, bikes, and the peculiarness of wives. Then I handed over "the package", instructed Wakko on the finer points of shipping precious cargo (no, it won't fit in your fork bag), took a couple pics and we parted ways to go back out into the second flood.

Wakko47 taking the handoff.

It stayed mercifully rain free for most of my ride back north, except for a bit just before I arrived. I found there are drawbacks to rain gear that breathes; such as the fact that if you are already wet, breathable rain gear lets in enough air to make you quite cool at 70 mph LOL.

Added another 150 miles to the bike. Wet or dry, though, at least I was riding
Originally Posted by Wakko47
Lyttuch and I braved the monsoons, hurricane force winds, and two feet of flooding to continue the mascot's movement south.

I'm not sure if riding in the horrendous rain makes me stupid or hard core. At 50mph on the Turnpike, cars were lined up on the side of the road waiting it out, cars that WERE driving were going slower than me (with their hazards on) and I'm sure folks were looking at me and saying "Wow, I wish I was on a Harley!" I swear I thought I was gonna hydroplane and drop the damn bike, but my guardian angel took care of me. Rain suit worked pretty well too...but wet harness boots make kickstands VERY difficult to deploy.

Anyway, I've got it in Delray. Keys on Saturday!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Lyttuch and I braved the monsoons, hurricane force winds, and two feet of flooding to continue the mascot's movement south.

I'm not sure if riding in the horrendous rain makes me stupid or hard core. At 50mph on the Turnpike, cars were lined up on the side of the road waiting it out, cars that WERE driving were going slower than me (with their hazards on) and I'm sure folks were looking at me and saying "Wow, I wish I was on a Harley!" I swear I thought I was gonna hydroplane and drop the damn bike, but my guardian angel took care of me. Rain suit worked pretty well too...but wet harness boots make kickstands VERY difficult to deploy.

Anyway, I've got it in Delray. Keys on Saturday!
Sounds like fun! Good writeup. A couple years back we rode down through WV to Raleigh, and every mile thru WV and on through Chapel Hill was a monsoon, a blinding rain with high winds forcing cars off the road. We rode through it and thanks to our Over Pass II rain gear, stayed high and dry. Rode over 'Lovers Leap' in southern VA and thru Danville, with all that weather mess. At the time it was a constant b!tch, but now, looking back, it created some outstanding memories, just like your trip probably will.

Keep on truckin guys! Need to be gettin it out to the left coast yet this year!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wearing a half helmet, with goggles over my glasses. By the time I arrived at the handoff area, water was sloshing around in my goggles and my glasses looked like I didn't bother to put the goggles on. Talk about hrd to see...and in a down pour. But, it worked out.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyttuch
I was wearing a half helmet, with goggles over my glasses. By the time I arrived at the handoff area, water was sloshing around in my goggles and my glasses looked like I didn't bother to put the goggles on. Talk about hrd to see...and in a down pour. But, it worked out.
LOL, now that had to be a sight! Whe n I go on a trip I always take a 3/4 with a flip down shield.....just for the rain. Roll the hood up about 1/2 way and make it like a tall collar up under the bottom of my helmet. Still with the force of the rain and wind it kept blowing up under my shield and really screwed with my glasses. I think someone should come up with some sort of deforster for you shield/glasses....lol. I did find out that little rubber strip they put on the thumb of those waterproof gloves comes in handy for wiping the water off the shield. I just can't wipe fast enuff....

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

quick update, the Mascot has been to The Florida Keys, we did not quite make Key West but got as far as Islamorada. It is now back in Delray Beach and I will arrange a hand off to FlTrish next week for points North. Pics and an account to follow when I drink about 20 pints of water to rehydrate and GoProSteevo and Wakko also have pics.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

here's a few of mine

Attached Thumbnails &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-ian.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-islamorada.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

few more

Attached Thumbnails &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-harley-sign.jpg   &lt;2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot-ian-and-steevo.jpg  

Quick Reply: <2014 Travels of HDForums.com Mascot