HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

Mascot travel stages in Texas....(Oct/Nov 2012)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYSBY
Back to the bag...that is not the bag I remember from my trip with the mascot in July. Where did the bag come from? Someone gets brownie points for that one. I'll bet it was one of the Queens' doings. Come on girls. I know one of us did it. Fess up! It's a great thing!
I spotted the bag in this image (Mascot hand-over from Lyttuch to Wakko47 09/05/2012 Fort Pierce, FL):

Reading the post below I'm almost sure the bag comes from Mike_M from Chesapeake:
Originally Posted by dynawideglider
The Mascot made it a bit further South today.

Big Kudos to Mike_M from Chesapeake - not only did he provide a new (and cool) "kit bag" for the Mascots transport, he also rode through some nasty weather this morning to keep the mascot on schedule. I'm sure Mike'll post of some of the photos of his ride - yet he made it to Raleigh early and in great spirits!

We (myself and 7 other riders) met Mike at Ray Price HD. We had a great visit, traded a lot of tips, handed off the Mascot, watched the dealer roll out their 2013 models, and then had a kick-a$$ lunch at a hole-in-the-wall gem of Italian cooking in Angier (just South of Raleigh).

That's whats cool about riding Harley's, you get to meet and hang out with some of the greatest Americans.

Mike - it was great to meet you and hang out for awhile, I'm sure we'll meet again in your territory one day soon.

Tomorrow it's on to Salisbury, NC, to meet with Midgitfire and hand off the Mascot for a ride to Georgia.

Scott
Edit: I just asked Mike_M by PM to chime in over here....

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 04-14-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

That's the same bag it was in when I received/passed it in October. I seriously considered washing it!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYSBY
Back to the bag...that is not the bag I remember from my trip with the mascot in July. Where did the bag come from? Someone gets brownie points for that one. I'll bet it was one of the Queens' doings. Come on girls. I know one of us did it. Fess up! It's a great thing!
Believe it or not, it wasn't one of the girls.

Rene called me out on this one.

When I received the Mascot back in August, it was wrapped up in a ziplock bag. I had a little time and some odds&ends sitting around, so figuring the Mascot had a long trip ahead of it, I threw something together that was a little more durable than the plastic bag.

{edit} Unfortunately the iron-on transfer that I used was probably a little too old and didn't work as well as it should have--still, it gave the bag an "aged" look (and some character!).{/edit}

When I was in the Navy I learned to do all my own sewing. It was cheaper in the long run than paying the tailor every time I needed name tapes & ranks sewn on, and sometimes there just wasn't the "right" pouch or bag available in the store. Because of this, I had some nylon fabric and zippers sitting around unused--hence the kit bag for the mascot.

During my time in the Navy, I also picked up an odd hobby of collecting some sewing machines.

Here's my closet (yes, they all work, and there's some not shown):

The wife would prefer the closet space, but I just can't seem to part with them.

Last edited by Mike_M; 11-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
...Anxious to learn (for the record & Mascot history I'm working on with the help of EveHD) the member's screen name who made the bag and the first occasion and date it was used...
Great sewing job on the kit-bag and thank you for solving "The Story of the Mysterious Bag", Mike!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

A man after my own heart! I also collect sewing machines so I recognize all you your treasures! I've gotten rid of a few over the years but I kept 5 Featherweights I just can't part with.

You did a great job on the bag, BTW!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

Good Job on the kit bag Mike. Whodathunkit?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Now I'm curious! Can you post a pic of the bag??? PLEEEEASE

Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And now I must apologize to Mike for making the same assumption about one of the qotr making the bag that many make about me and my very manly tractor trailer/equipment operator job. Also, sorry to the girls.
That's probably the last apology any one will hear from me for a ling time.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus