HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

WANTED-Members to help keep our Mascot moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
If the Mascot makes it to Knoxville TN, it should be great to let it experience a ride over "The Tail of The Dragon" (U.S. Route 129) and shoot a pic with the Mascot by the "tree of shame" in Deal's Gap...
I will be getting the hand-off from from backroads-2 in London, KY on Sunday 10/20 and bringing it back to Knoxville with me. I'll see what I can do about showing the mascot around our area before sending it south for the winter. The TOD is only an hour from my front door.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

We get her out of the area just in the nick of time. Only getting up into the 40's this weekend. They said 60's are a thing of the past. Lows Sat night-the 30's.

We might get a day here or there in the 50's or 60's, but its the time of year here. Take the mascot down where its warm. Let it tame the Dragon......

Btw lead, did Ohioskully ever get in touch?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Never heard from Ohioskully, only you and backroads-2.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I was asked to chime in here to see if I could assist getting the Mascot to a warmer climate. As you can see I'm in Atlanta.

Going to be nipply this weekend, cold front screaming in, and will be tied up with a long weekend vacation in a few days.

What's the plan?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Wiz - No "plan" yet, just trying to identify the options. Honestly, I was hoping to find a willing contact somewhere southeast of here - on the other side of the Smoky Mountains. But that is driven only by my motivation to get iconic photos with Dale Walksler at the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley during the next hand-off. I also have promised to try to get photos with the mascot at the Tree of Shame at Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon. If the hand-off was at WTT, I could do that on the way over there in one trip. If the mascot goes a different direction, then I would have to make a separate trip to get those photos. But for that master plan to happen, I need a willing partner on the other side of the mountain. There has been zero response from that direction yet.

We are supposed to be cold Wed-Fri and then it warms again here in Knoxville. Forecast is for a high of 62 again by Sunday. I am out out town Friday until Saturday afternoon, so the soonest I could do it would be Sunday anyway. But, I would not have time for TOD pics before heading down I75 if that is hand-off day. The following weekend, I am out of town Friday-Sunday, so that weekend is out for me. I would have to do something the following weekend or sometime during the week.

Let's see what options present themselves over the next day or so and then start putting a plan together.

Last edited by LeadSSled; 10-22-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

I've met Dale a few times. MV is a 4 hour ride for me. No worries.

I'm toast this weekend. Open after that. I work for myself so I could do this during the week as well. All I ask is the day to be above 60*. I'm old and rickety. Tuesday the 29th would work well. Going to get to 70 says the weather master.

Once in Atlanta there will be many avenues to the warmer states. Let me know.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Wiz - Thanks, I appreciate your schedule flexibility. Understood on the temperature limitations.

I would have to take a vacation day, but I could probably make the 29th work. BUT there is one major issue with that plan - the WTT museum is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So no photo ops there those days.

I'll keep you posted. And thanks again.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
...As you can see I'm in Atlanta...
Location added, Wiz!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Here is the plan. I'm planning to take the mascot to the Tail of the Dragon for photo ops this Sunday morning 10/27. If a contact comes before then that can meet me at WTT in Maggie Valley on Sunday, I will do the TOD stop on the way. If not, no big deal. I will have that task out of the way and then only have to be concerned about moving it southward. That task will become easier by not having to go through the TOD on the hand-off trip. I'll touch base here early next week about options if nothing happens sooner.

Thinking about the future - Between my schedule and theirs, hitting the WTT museum may be a little tricky over the next few weeks anyway,
- Other than Sunday, I'm out for this weekend.
- I am out of town all of next weekend 11/1-11/3
- On Saturday 10/9 the WTT museum has their annual bike raffle giveaway. It will be a "zoo" there that weekend with thousands of visitors onsite.
- WTT museum is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday.
- I do have a window to do something all day Friday 11/15 or Saturday 11/16. But that is 2 weeks away in mid-November and colder weather could be a factor.

Other than the days mentioned above, I would need to take vacation time to move the mascot during the week. Just thinking out loud here...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

If you look at the map just above... locate Blairsville and Murphy. I'll be at Lake Chatuge just to the east this weekend (Hiawassee). I can meet you at WTT Sunday but I'll be in my truck. It's a short ride but I don't know if that is allowed or not. Will be returning to Atlanta Sunday night.

The rest of my schedule is fairly open. As you stated... weather is a factor and for me to ride the trike all day in nipply weather, even though I have heated, gear is risky. I can do it but getting sick again isn't on my wish list.

I missed the first Mascot last time around and promised myself I wouldn't miss it again. If a truck carrying the Mascot to Atlanta isn't an issue then I can meet you at Dale's place this Sunday.

Quick Reply: WANTED-Members to help keep our Mascot moving