Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gas leaking on a 02 softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 PM
The_Outsider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No point for the quick release anyways, how many of us r removing the tank on a normal basis lol

Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 AM
DJ Jamie
6th Gear

Has anyone identified the size of the O-Ring on the male fuel line?

I hate waiting for delivery of an o-ring from ebay when I can just buy a set at the local parts store, but I want to be sure I get the right size. My original O-ring disappeared when I took my tank off yesterday. I understand the #41 is for inside the quick release valve, but I need the one for the male end of the fuel tube.

Any help would be awesome.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 PM
gwen420
Stage II
Default 2012 HD Streetglide

I just pulled the quick release out of my 2012 Street Glide. It was leaking outside under the bolt. Big o ring looks fine. It's mostly metal and won't come apart. Can I get into fuel line, open it up to get to other rings? Everything just spins. Male end covered in plastic.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:23 AM
VANILLA_G0RILLA
Stage II

Does anyone know the size of the o-ring in the male end of the fuel line?

Old 10-23-2022, 04:29 PM
Mike FXSTS
Stage I

Originally Posted by Shanebo
Assuming you have the one-fitting quick-release that is threaded into the bottom of the tank...

Here is a link to the correct set of o-rings to do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252334494532...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe that the seller is a member here on the forums, and knows these valves well, having worked with them in production in the past.

I just replaced all three o-rings in my '06 Street Bob about a week ago that was doing the same thing--problem totally fixed. I ordered another set for the next guy who comes to my shop with the same problem...

A couple of tips for the job:

1. Drain the tank first. I used some spare 1/4 fuel line and siphoned out the tank from the fill cap, then drained what I could from the upper part of the fuel valve by inserting the male portion into it without the hose that goes to the engine attached. You'll figure that part out easily enough.

2. A common theory is that only the largest o-ring needs to be replaced, and that might work for some folks. It didn't work for me. The two o-rings that seal off the spring valves in either end had degraded to the point that fuel would push through and around them when under pressure. Digging them out of their respective places was like digging out old, hard cheese that was smashed into a sidewalk crack--with a dental pick.

3. With a 7/8 wrench, remove the whole fuel valve from the tank. It will take several revolutions to remove, and some gas will still leak out when it comes out, just catch it with a rag. Note that the in-tank line that feeds the valve will be twisted a few revolutions at first. Let it unwind so that you can see directly into the valve body with the slack that becomes available, and remember to rewind it before re-inserting it into the tank, so that the line isn't twisted when it's all back together.

4. Making sure that you get all of the old o-ring material out, begin re-assembling the valves in both ends of the valve, with the new o-rings. It's a little fiddly, but easy enough to do when you can see into the upper valve body.

All the best,

Shane
Could not get the petcock off just kept spinning back any help

Old 10-23-2022, 05:39 PM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

He posted that 6 years ago.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:54 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,761 Likes on 3,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike FXSTS
Could not get the petcock off just kept spinning back any help
Thread was about the quick release fitting for the fuel line on an EFI bike not a petcock on a carbed bike.

If that's what you meant, you might be better off starting a new thread.

Good luck