Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default tuner question

I just got a fullsac cx pipe and their recored mufflers (2" baffles) for my 2016 streetglide special. Everything else is totally stock although I plan to do an air cleaner. Do I need to do a remapping and what do you recommend for the efi tuner?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

The rule of thumb:
When significantly altering airflow (i.e.: pipes, cams, intake, porting, etc) it is always a good idea to recalibrate the EFI for the changed airflow.
There are those who understand the EFI to auto adjust for airflow changes and claim there is no advantage to recalibration...just need to ride to self-adjust.
Just ask anyone who has had their bike recalibrated for mods that change the quantity AND way the air flows through out the system....from a/c to tailpipe.
I would pose the question:
"I would like comparisons from folks who have made airflow changes to their bike then rode it long enough to get a good feel for how it ran. Then had it tuned."
Bob

Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a novice when it comes to Harley's fuel management but from what I understand the system will compensate for increase airflow when in closed loop mode but not open loop. If I am correct closed loop is only when low throttle application.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,257 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
I am a novice when it comes to Harley's fuel management but from what I understand the system will compensate for increase airflow when in closed loop mode but not open loop. If I am correct closed loop is only when low throttle application.
One of the problems with Delphi long term closed loop is that the fuel adjustments work over multiple cells. If the tuning has such that certain sections would be lean in some cells and rich in cells long term closed loop won't be able to compensate.. Also if one group of cells has part closed loop and another open. the open loop section will get the offset that the closed loop section learns.

This means that the VE maps need to be set accurately so that all the cell match what is needed in relative terms. Dyno tuning is the fastest way to get this done. One of the main purposes that I see for running closed loop is to allow for variations in injector flow, fuel pressure and other things based on manufacturing tolerances and EFI system aging. Narrow band sensors also allow the setting the AFR in lean cruize zones accurately where the system is closed loop. This method keeps AFR from being set too lean.

Please, guys that understand this correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Well put Bruce. I may add...any closed loop system benefits from base mapping close to targets.
The purpose of the Delphi system's O2 sensors were not originally intended to be used to retune for changes (engine/exhaust/intake mods) to the airflow through the engine.
That said, they do a bang up job of providing a great way to precisely recalibrate VEs using a custom software program to specifically use the sensors to recalibrate the VEs to a precise Lambda. Then change targets as desired and the system does all the work to get Lambda to the chosen targets. This is a key to the closed loop system working as expected.
After all...The O2 sensors' normal job is to provide oxygen content differences in fuel quality variations to the ECM so it can make chamges to keep the targets on point.
This is how I understand the system to work,
Bob