Can not start Sportster - Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can not start Sportster

P

Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Default Can not start Sportster

Okay so I have a 2014 sportster 48. I failed at keeping it plugged into a maintainer. The battery got real week so I took it out of the bike and plugged it into a charger for a car at like 2 amps. I left it on and forgot about it for about a day. Well I put it back into the bike and when I turn the key over to "acc." The odometer comes on and the red light and the red battery light turn on. Well when I turn it to "ignition" the odometer flashes on and off and I hear a strange clicking noise in what sounds like the gas tank so maybe fuel pump? It's a fast clicking that's steady at about 6 or so a second. If anyone could help me that would be great! I've been searching for about a week now online trying to figure it out and I didn't want to just run out and buy a battery of something else was wrong. Thank you all for your time.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Trickle charger may not have been enough to actually charge the battery or the battery may be bad. Would be my guesses.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM

I just bought a battery and lo and behold it started right up. Hahaha thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Road Master

Get a maintainer and keep it plugged in if bike sits for any length of time. Hell, even the cheapie harbor freight ones are better than nothing. YD

P