Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New to Power Vision and need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m also waiting for the dealers reply on dyno tuning. I’m willing to sink a fair bit into the tuning if it’ll make a difference but if I am fighting a wrong cam it may not get results

Old 10-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Latest news is it has stock compression. Just the 585 cam, true duals, and the air filter. Am I fighting a loosing battle here? Too little compression is not as bad as top much compression as far as motor life right? I mean it’ll never run right but at least it won’t blow up, until I can afford head work or a larger displacement upgrade. I think there’s a serious lack of tuners/performance shops around here so I am trying to stay away from machine work. A bolt on big bore sounds safer then letting someone around here do milling. As far as dyno tuning I’m stuck with either the dealer or a smaller sport bike shop. Hopefully one has experience with the PV1 so they can make the correct adjustments to the maps.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazu Hiro
Latest news is it has stock compression. Just the 585 cam, true duals, and the air filter. Am I fighting a loosing battle here? Too little compression is not as bad as top much compression as far as motor life right? I mean it’ll never run right but at least it won’t blow up, until I can afford head work or a larger displacement upgrade. I think there’s a serious lack of tuners/performance shops around here so I am trying to stay away from machine work. A bolt on big bore sounds safer then letting someone around here do milling. As far as dyno tuning I’m stuck with either the dealer or a smaller sport bike shop. Hopefully one has experience with the PV1 so they can make the correct adjustments to the maps.
Their is a chance the cams were not installed correctly, not aligned correctly. It is not uncommon and worth checking to verify things. With a compression test, front and rear compression should be close to each other. If not, cams are not aligned correctly. Compression test will also verify 88"er. You can also remove timing cover to check cam alignment. Lots of vids and threads about cam installs and align the cam dots.

Dyno runs are not cheap and if you change anything, you will need another one. If you have deep pockets, lots of choices. If not, I'd install a set of Andrews 21's or 26's, 26's if you plan on a 95" kit, get a PV map and ride. Also, call Fuel Moto before you do any cam changes. If you buy cams or something from them, they will help you with the PV tune and answer other questions. They are THE go to vendor here.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

I talked to Fuel Moto and basically they said they don’t have hands on experience with my set up and cannot give me the level of help I need. Understandable since who knows what my issues are really.

The previous owner swears he’s done a few bikes similar to this set up and the autotune pro can fix it after 2 or 3 sessions. Fuel Moto confirmed my fears that the local shops that have dynos aren’t full certified dyno tuners so it’s a toss up if they will be able to fix the issue.

I really don’t think I want to be opening up the motor myself. I may go as far as to pull the timing cover and check the compression but a cam swap I would again be at the mercy of local installers. I’m hoping Fuel Moto can make a recommendation on a cam and provide a map that will get me close enough for autotune to manage.

I also asked them them if I can add/subtract Fuel in the area I think is at fault to seat tune, then try similar with the spark similar to old school carb tuning.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 729 Posts

I talked to Fuel Moto and basically they said they don’t have hands on experience with my set up and cannot give me the level of help I need. Understandable since who knows what my issues are really.

The previous owner swears he’s done a few bikes similar to this set up and the autotune pro can fix it after 2 or 3 sessions. Fuel Moto confirmed my fears that the local shops that have dynos aren’t full certified dyno tuners so it’s a toss up if they will be able to fix the issue.

I really don’t think I want to be opening up the motor myself. I may go as far as to pull the timing cover and check the compression but a cam swap I would again be at the mercy of local installers. I’m hoping Fuel Moto can make a recommendation on a cam and provide a map that will get me close enough for autotune to manage.

I also asked them them if I can add/subtract Fuel in the area I think is at fault to seat tune, then try similar with the spark similar to old school carb tuning.
As you were told in the other thread, you need to find a competent pro. The PV is a tool. Knowing what it does and doesn't do is pretty key here. "Auto Tune" doesn't really auto tune. It won't make all the necessary adjustments for cams/intake changes for you. Auto tuning primarily attempts to calibrate the VE tables. That's about it. If you don't know the significance of that, then again seek out a pro.

Also, there is two levels of Auto Tune. Auto Tune basic uses the stock O2 sensors. The other level is with the wide bands. For the wide bands you'll need either the Auto Pro setup or Target Tune. I doubt either will solve your problems, because your problems likely go beyond VE table calibration issues.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by T^2
As you were told in the other thread, you need to find a competent pro. The PV is a tool. Knowing what it does and doesn't do is pretty key here. "Auto Tune" doesn't really auto tune. It won't make all the necessary adjustments for cams/intake changes for you. Auto tuning primarily attempts to calibrate the VE tables. That's about it. If you don't know the significance of that, then again seek out a pro.

Also, there is two levels of Auto Tune. Auto Tune basic uses the stock O2 sensors. The other level is with the wide bands. For the wide bands you'll need either the Auto Pro setup or Target Tune. I doubt either will solve your problems, because your problems likely go beyond VE table calibration issues.
One of the main issues I’m facing is there aren’t any “Pro’s” in the area. Fuel Moto themselves said there isn’t a certified dyno tuner in the state. Which leaves me to either trust the dealer won’t make matters worse or that they won’t troubleshoot the bike forever. I ordered the Pro tune kit from Fuel Moto and will try to autotune the dead spot out. I don’t care much for max HP or peak performance. I’d rather get driveability and the cruise zone smoothed out as best as can. If it works then great, if not then at least the kit is installed and ready to be tuned by someone I ship it to in the states. I know the cam is too much for the motor as it sits, not much I can do about it except try another cam or go back to stock. All in all about another $1000 if I go that route. Upgrading the displacement and compression to suit the cam will end up being $3000. I could ship it to the mainland to have it troubleshoot and dyno tuned but I’m guessing that will cost about $2500 or more. I think spending that much to build it or ship it overseas to a tuner tells me I’m better off buying a complete, brand new, performance tuned motor and trans then trying to get a basic 88ci running how it should. I could also just ride it as is until something else comes along. Sucks being me I guess

Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 729 Posts

One of the main issues I’m facing is there aren’t any “Pro’s” in the area. Fuel Moto themselves said there isn’t a certified dyno tuner in the state. Which leaves me to either trust the dealer won’t make matters worse or that they won’t troubleshoot the bike forever. I ordered the Pro tune kit from Fuel Moto and will try to autotune the dead spot out. I don’t care much for max HP or peak performance. I’d rather get driveability and the cruise zone smoothed out as best as can. If it works then great, if not then at least the kit is installed and ready to be tuned by someone I ship it to in the states. I know the cam is too much for the motor as it sits, not much I can do about it except try another cam or go back to stock. All in all about another $1000 if I go that route. Upgrading the displacement and compression to suit the cam will end up being $3000. I could ship it to the mainland to have it troubleshoot and dyno tuned but I’m guessing that will cost about $2500 or more. I think spending that much to build it or ship it overseas to a tuner tells me I’m better off buying a complete, brand new, performance tuned motor and trans then trying to get a basic 88ci running how it should. I could also just ride it as is until something else comes along. Sucks being me I guess
Without having the personal knowledge, experience, or competent professional services at your disposal, you might want to consider taking it back to stock (Stage 1 perhaps). Probably the route with the highest probability of success if the goal is to get a decent running machine without spending yourself blind. It will be easier for a DIY'er playing with a PV to get there - get a canned map for your setup and use Auto Tune to calibrate your VE's perhaps. I suspect that folks like Jamie could then help you as well.

Last edited by T^2; 10-30-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I also asked them them if I can add/subtract Fuel in the area I think is at fault to seat tune, then try similar with the spark similar to old school carb tuning.One of the main issues I’m facing is there aren’t any “Pro’s” in the area. Fuel Moto themselves said there isn’t a certified dyno tuner in the state. Which leaves me to either trust the dealer won’t make matters worse or that they won’t troubleshoot the bike forever. I ordered the Pro tune kit from Fuel Moto and will try to autotune the dead spot out. I don’t care much for max HP or peak performance. I’d rather get driveability and the cruise zone smoothed out as best as can. If it works then great, if not then at least the kit is installed and ready to be tuned by someone I ship it to in the states. I know the cam is too much for the motor as it sits, not much I can do about it except try another cam or go back to stock. All in all about another $1000 if I go that route. Upgrading the displacement and compression to suit the cam will end up being $3000. I could ship it to the mainland to have it troubleshoot and dyno tuned but I’m guessing that will cost about $2500 or more. I think spending that much to build it or ship it overseas to a tuner tells me I’m better off buying a complete, brand new, performance tuned motor and trans then trying to get a basic 88ci running how it should. I could also just ride it as is until something else comes along. Sucks being me I guess

The seller probably did install the cams correctly. But, if it were me I would want to make sure before moving forward. You do not have to remove the timing cover to check compression. Its easy and cheap to check.

Also Fuel Moto sells S&S and Andrews cams, if necessary. You could install an SS cam that is better suited for 88's and use the current gear drive setup. And Fuel Moto can then also help with the tune.

Perhaps the seller, for a good price, would install the cams for you. Again, if necessary.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Put the stock cams back in, put the stock exhaust back on, put on a set of slip on mufflers. Problem solved, money in pocket from selling those parts and you can start enjoying the bike.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Put the stock cams back in, put the stock exhaust back on, put on a set of slip on mufflers. Problem solved, money in pocket from selling those parts and you can start enjoying the bike.

Always gotta have that one guy that thinks he's helping but he's not...

Anyways, as posted in the dyne room thread. The bike has a proper Fuel Moto map, many thanks to those guys for reaching out to me and offering to build me a map! Jaime was a huge help in that and Brian was super cool in taking the autotune kit back with no hassles. The bike runs great now! Time to ride!

Quick Reply: New to Power Vision and need help