Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thunder Max On or Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Roodog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Max On or Off

Its obvious that the Thunder Max is the go!
But can anyone tell me, do I need to hook the thunder Max unit up to the bike before I can down load a MAP, or can I download a MAP from my desktop into the Thunder Max and then install it to my bike

Cheers Roodog

Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Max On or Off

Just went through this yesterday. You can download the maps to your desktop and then install them on your bike without internet connection, but the instructions on how to do it correctly are found in a box of cereal because they certainly aren't in the Zippers instructions.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Roodog
Cruiser

Ok I understand about the download to computer and all that stuff, but what I want to know is can I put the Thunder Max unit on the table plug in the cable and down load the MAP I require, then pick the unit up off the table walk out to the garage and install the Thunder Max ECU on my bike hook up the harness and auto tuner and initiate the instulatiom sequence withthge new MAP I put in the unit a half hour earlier.

Cheers Roodog

Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Roodog

Ok I understand about the download to computer and all that stuff, but what I want to know is can I put the Thunder Max unit on the table plug in the cable and down load the MAP I require, then pick the unit up off the table walk out to the garage and install the Thunder Max ECU on my bike hook up the harness and auto tuner and initiate the instulatiom sequence withthge new MAP I put in the unit a half hour earlier.

Cheers Roodog
Unfortunately it needs to be on the bike with power to it.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that if you want load a map or do anything else for that matter then the Thundermax must be powered up. If you did not order the bench top power supply unit from Zippers then you will need to connect or install the T-Max on the bike so that it can use the bikes 12 volt system for power.
(You can work with the Smartlink software program on your computer, but if you want to deal with the unit its self then it will need to be powered up.)

Arcane

Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Roodog
Cruiser

Thanks guy's that's what I was chasing, I'm going to have to get a long cable, I think the wife might have a heart attack if I rode my bike into our study.

Cheers Roodog.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Jman67
Tourer

Yup, like said above unless you have the bench-top unit from Zipper's the emc must be on the bike and powered up to link to it. They do sell long cables, look around. I used a laptop so I didnt have to worry. Do you or anyone you know own one? That would be easiest.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Roodog
Cruiser

I quite like the idea of riding the bike into the study to see what reponse I get from the wife!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Roodog

I quite like the idea of riding the bike into the study to see what reponse I get from the wife!
DO IT!!!

Seriously, I bought a brand new laptop just for this project and Windows Vista and I didn't get along so I hauled my WHOLE desktop PC to the garage and set it up and got the job done with WinXP.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I experianced the same exact seniero asUltraKlassic, Rich

Quick Reply: Thunder Max On or Off