Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Validate tune, eliminate need for dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1
Have you considered ditching the PC and getting a flash tuner that will allow complete tuning as well as allowing data logging? Personally, I prefer the TTS but Power Vision is powerful as well and with it you can watch parameters as you ride.
I feel you would be much better off in the long run. Just something to consider if you haven’t already done so.
I have thought about that, but they aren't available for my 2000 magneti marelli fuel injection system. Good suggestion though.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Whoops— forgot what you had! My bad.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:34 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

the PCV and 2 channel auto tune kit is available for your bike, PCV (better and smaller than pc3) and the 2 O2 sensors to go in the pipe, you can use it to build good fuel tables, then unplug the auto tune box and hook the sensors up to real time guages. once the sensors are in the pipes, it gets pretty easy to switch back and forth. if you had that stuff, you could then begin to experiment with the timing, that is until you take it in.
m

Old 08-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Z
Road Warrior

ehh... no worries.

Originally Posted by marcodarq
the PCV and 2 channel auto tune kit is available for your bike, PCV (better and smaller than pc3) and the 2 O2 sensors to go in the pipe, you can use it to build good fuel tables, then unplug the auto tune box and hook the sensors up to real time guages. once the sensors are in the pipes, it gets pretty easy to switch back and forth. if you had that stuff, you could then begin to experiment with the timing, that is until you take it in.
m
the PCV and the thundermax are both available for my bike, those with auto-tune capabilities for $900. I thought about getting the thundermax, because I don't like the idea piggybacks, but I can essentially do the same thing with a good set of gauges and data logging for maybe $400, $500 less and since I already have a tuner I'm leaning that way. I read somewhere that the PC3 has some issues with Idol that are corrected in the PC 5 which is also of Interest

Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Z
Road Warrior

I settled on Innovative Motorsports products. Total cost is about $500, which is nearly half of what it would cost for a PCV with Auto Tune. SInce I already have a PCIII, this should be the ticket to success.

I'l mount the gauge in my fairing where the Air Temperate gaauge currently sits. I'll have to install o2 bungs in my Thunderhead headers. This system will give me the ability to view real-time AFR data on my gauge, and to log it in their data logger along with RPM data. I'll also be able to install CHT logging and gauge in the future, if I decide to. I should be able to capture Alpha-N as well.

With this setup, I'll be able to validate the quality of my existing tune, and eliminate the need to take this bike back to the tuner for mixture tunes. I still might take it back for timing tune though.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me sort this out! I appreciate it more than you know.

DLG-1: Dual Lambda (AFR) Gauge Kit - includes the DLG-1 gauge, (2) Wideband Bosch LSU4.9 O2 sensors, (2) 8 ft sensor cables, LC-2 Wideband Controller, (2) O2 sensor weld-on bungs, Black/Silver bezel, Black/White faceplate, Serial program cable, & Installation manual. P/N: 3891

SSI-4 PLUS Four Channel Sensor Interface includes the SSI-4 PLUS, Serial Program Cable, Molex to Molex Patch Cable (to daisy chain with other MTS compatible devices), and manual. P/N 3914

Pocket Logger PL-1 Kit
Kit includes:
PL-1, Pocket Logger
  • 2GB SD Memory Card
  • SD Memory Card Reader, USB to PC
  • Power Cable, 12v
  • LogWorks 3.0 Software, available for download
  • MTS Patch Cable, Locking 4-pin to 4-pin, for newer devices like the MTX gauges
  • MTS Patch Cable, 2.5mm to 4-pin, needed for LC-1, SSI-4, TC-4, & LMA-3
P/N: 3875

LogWorks Software

Last edited by Z; 08-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 1,599 Posts

This will provide you with much more information, but you're still limited by the ECM ( no way to measure/detect knock), tuner ( limited capability device), and reversion ( TH has some known TQ dip issues, bending baffles have helped)

Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
This will provide you with much more information, but you're still limited by the ECM ( no way to measure/detect knock), tuner ( limited capability device), and reversion ( TH has some known TQ dip issues, bending baffles have helped)
Thanks. I'm aware of those limitations but I don't want to drop a ton of money on this. This setup will allow me to properly tune my engine without having to pay a tuner for dyno work. That's all I need.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Please report back about using that AFR/Data logging system and applying measured data to PCIII

Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 AM
Z
Road Warrior

I've since learned that Thundermax makes a replacement ECM for my bike that would likely work very well. I'f I cant find a data logger that will track RPM, AFR, and TPS - which, as I understand it, works by varying the resistance of a signal rather than the voltage - then I will go with the thundermax. In a holding pattern for now.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Got the headpipe back from the welder, where I had stainless angled bungs installed for Bosch wide band O2 sensors. Also installed the AFR gauge in the dash, in place of the air temp gauge.

Once mixture is validated / dialed in, I'll street tune the timing and continue with break-in per S & S instructions.

Quick Reply: Validate tune, eliminate need for dyno tuning