Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What happens if Power Commander goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Screamer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if Power Commander goes down?

What happens if Power Commander III goes down after installing it to your bike?
Since the Power Commander is a piggy back device that has to be installed between the ECM and the EFI wiring harness and it must remain attached to the bike after installation, what happens it goes down? Can you still operate the bike?

Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: What happens if Power Commander goes down?

If the PC goes bad, usually (depending on what goes bad in the unit) the bike will not start. We have had a few members here that had this happen. One is mikeisglidin

Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
LAF
Intermediate

You can simply unplug the power commander from the loop and limp home or to a safe place on the stock ECU. You will be lean so you will have to take it easy but it is doable in a pinch.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

When I power commander went bad last Spring the bike just wasn't running good. I ddin't know it was the pc until I took it in to get dyno'd. For a temp. fix the just unplugged it and checked my bike on the dyno to see where it was with the hd download. My Screamin Eagle had a stage II download and it's a 2000 so it ran fine without the power commander (once we disconnected it). I'm getting ready to have my SERT and 211 Cams installed and have it redyno'd. I'll let you know how that goes. Probably February before I get it in.

Terry

Old 01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Screamer
Road Captain

It seems to me that puts the SERT at an advantage since it does not stay in the bike. Right?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: kechour

It seems to me that puts the SERT at an advantage since it does not stay in the bike. Right?
Correct, it re maps the ECM instead of piggyback with it.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:18 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

ORIGINAL: kechour

Correct, it re maps the ECM instead of piggyback with it.
Thus the reason I'm going SERT when I get mine installed.
My plan:
SE 95" Big Bore kit (Cams, Heads, Pistons, etc..)
Bub/Rinehart True Duals
SERT
DYNO

Anything else anyone can think of that I should add to improve reliability/performance?
I've seen some discussion around a 98" Kit? IS that available for the Ultra 88? or would it be better to just go to the 103"?

Anyone else running the 103" with advice?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Anything else anyone can think of that I should add to improve reliability/performance?
I've seen some discussion around a 98" Kit? IS that available for the Ultra 88? or would it be better to just go to the 103"?
Sounds like you got it. I can't think of anything else without costing you an arm and a leg

Terry

Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

After much research (Power Commander/Race Tuner/Fuelpak), I am convinced that the Race Tuner got the advantage, if for anything; it is not a piggy back module, and therefore, one less piece of hardware potential failure. BUT … Since I am not doing the work myself but will be leaving that to a dealer, the two dealer near me, both advocate the Power Commander and I have no choice but to get that. It sucks not being mechanically well versed and having to relay on those who are.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:19 PM
darkside
Banned

Hey kechour for starters that is one nice looking scoot. If you think the race tuner is the way to go I would call some dealers that might be further away, that are familiar with the race tuner. I too have become a fan of the race tuner after learning more about the pros and cons of the system. Worst case scenario is you might have to make a road trip. With a bike like that road trips would be on my mind just about constantly anyhow.Seems like the road trip would be a win /win situation. Just my 2cents.

Quick Reply: What happens if Power Commander goes down?