Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII

Just thought I would post this as I was in the same situation. I bought a brand new PCIII and it was a POS right outta the box. Not to mention the NIGHTMARE of routing the wiring harness. I got my SERT yesterday and after I figured out that the ECM connection was under the battery box cover, I had it re-programmed in about 10 minutes. Bike running great, no worries. Get yourself a SERT and forget it. PCIII just blows in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII

did you, orare you gonna have it dynoed? does it come with "canned" maps like the PCIII and FuelPak does? were you able to input your type of exhaust and A/C?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree. If you know what your dealing with, the PCIII is a huge waste of time. O2 eliminators?? Cmon...

Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a SERT and consider it the best money I've spent in mods thus far.

That said, I know folks that have PCIII's and like 'em just fine. There are ton's of 'em out there with many satisfied customers.

I chose the SERT for a variety of reasons, mostly because I didn't like the idea of a 3rd party box hanging somewhere to "fool" the ECM. I like the idea of programming the ECM specifically to my machine.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

Now I use PC3 on just about all my customers bikes. I use them on bikes making 75/100/245/500 horse power and never have any probs.... Now the bikes range from Harleys to metric sportbikes. The pc 3 is very easy to use and has great support. At least you can call powercommander and ask a question good luck with the HD dealers that most of them dont know how to tune them. And most people that tune serts will turn off the closed loop side so they can lower the a/f.... Now you run in open loop just like a pc3.

I hope this helps

FRANK FROM D.B.W

Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I used the SERT and now I have 17% fewer cavaties........

Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: aviator

did you, orare you gonna have it dynoed? does it come with "canned" maps like the PCIII and FuelPak does? were you able to input your type of exhaust and A/C?
It does come with "canned" maps and many of them. You are able to use of the maps just like the PCIII and tune to your likking. The PCIII does not let you "input your type of exhaust". It is based off of a map just like the sert and then tuned to your liking. I will not have it dyno tuned, took it out today and it ran just fine, it is a little rich, but then again it was 36 degrees when I took it out and most will run rich in colder weather.

PCIII you have to unhook your O2 sensors and have an "addition" under your seat. I didn't like that from the start, especially when I bought a brand new 08 off the showroom, just something about that I didn't like. Now if you have a bike that has been rode hard and put up wet, sure go ahead and experiment, but not a new one in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hogman07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought a 07 SGlide, came with a PC and sampson exhaust, Rode it very little, but it did seem to cut out in first gear and the RPM s were not that high. Anxious to see when the weather breaks what it will do. I am leary if Harley dealers can really tune them in, maybe will go private. Any suggestions on this

Old 02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpowell490

ORIGINAL: aviator

It does come with "canned" maps and many of them. You are able to use of the maps just like the PCIII and tune to your likking. The PCIII does not let you "input your type of exhaust". It is based off of a map just like the sert and then tuned to your liking. I will not have it dyno tuned, took it out today and it ran just fine, it is a little rich, but then again it was 36 degrees when I took it out and most will run rich in colder weather.

PCIII you have to unhook your O2 sensors and have an "addition" under your seat. I didn't like that from the start, especially when I bought a brand new 08 off the showroom, just something about that I didn't like. Now if you have a bike that has been rode hard and put up wet, sure go ahead and experiment, but not a new one in my opinion.
thanks for the answers.... I'm kinda like you - Iplopped down a BUNCH of hard earned (well, OK, hard earned retirement)money for an '08 Fat Boy and I like the idea of a HD product on her.

Quick Reply: For you guys debating SERT vs PCIII