Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT - need one

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
billybobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT - need one

Hmm... I wonder how big of a deal it is to keep it at 14.6 to maintane closed loop operation After all, these are only narrow band sensor that adjust to only + or- .5 when in operation. I have an 06 dyna and changed every cell in the AFR table reading 14.6 down to 13.9 and the bike runs like a top.....

Any experts out there care to chime in??

Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: billybobber

Hmm... I wonder how big of a deal it is to keep it at 14.6 to maintane closed loop operation After all, these are only narrow band sensor that adjust to only + or- .5 when in operation. I have an 06 dyna and changed every cell in the AFR table reading 14.6 down to 13.9 and the bike runs like a top.....

Any experts out there care to chime in??

Not an expert by any means, but here is a copy paste from the SERT manual..

Begin copy -

Tuning with Closed-Loop

Only calibrations that are closed-loop capable can be used for closed-loop operation. When a calibration is opened in Tuning Mode, a box in the upper right region of the screen will indicate if a calibration is intended for open or closed-loop operation. The AFR table controls the operating conditions in which the ECM will enable closed-loop. The AFR cell must equal 14.6 for the ECM to enable closed-loop operation. This allows the user to control if and when the bike is in closed-loop simply using the AFR table.

The new table that has been added this year is the Closed-Loop Bias table. This table is used to shift the AFR richer or leaner during closed-loop operation. This table is a function of engine speed and map load. The cell values are the switching voltage that the ECM controls to. A lower voltage will control leaner, and a higher number controls richer. This table is used by the ECM in addition to the AFR table to determine what AFR to control to.

Example: Using calibration 141NX001. Looking at 1750 rpm and 40 kPa, the AFR table shows 14.6 and the Closed-Loop Bias table shows 447mV. With these values, the ECM will be in closed-loop operation and will control to approximately 14.4. In order to change the fuel delivered to the engine in this condition, the Closed-Loop Bias table would be used. 500 mV will make the mixture slightly richer, and 400 mV will make the mixture slightly leaner. Changes to the Closed-Loop Bias table are done for the same reasons the AFR table would be changed: power, fuel economy, knock, etc.

End copy..

Old 03-01-2006, 09:42 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear you got it hooked up! As I said before, Harley had a screw up at their warehouse. 01E is available but Harley just played "DUH" as to who would get it when.

Thanks for the tip on the AFR.

How about letting others know where you found your 01-E so they can try that source?

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

Wow guys, thanks a bunch for posting those revisions! I got my SERT today! Can you believe it? Less than 24 hours after I ordered it, the Fedex guy knocked on the door. It has the 01E software and I already hooked it up to the bike. Used a USB to Serial converter from Best Buy.

If you are calibrating an '06 Dyna, be aware that the AFR tables must be left at 14.6 to remain in closed-loop mode. You alter fuel mixture by adjusting the "Closed-Loop Bias" tables and changing the voltage to the O2 sensors. This is a big change from the open loop systems. Just thought it was worth a mention.

I'm going to do a date mode run tomorrow and try to create a custom map.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Glad to hear you got it hooked up! As I said before, Harley had a screw up at their warehouse. 01E is available but Harley just played "DUH" as to who would get it when.

Thanks for the tip on the AFR.

How about letting others know where you found your 01-E so they can try that source?
Woah.. sorry guys. I didn't realize I hadn't told you where I got it. I got it from Hale's HD in Ohio. Great people there. Give them a call 419-522-8602.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

My dealer got 13 in yesterday. They just show up whenever they find some to send I guess.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know of who has stock of the CD 32117-01G? I understand that the 01G is rather new. Thanks, Bruce

Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

Billybobber,

I am going to try and be gentle here so bare with me. While your bike may be running like a top you may have some serious issues that may need to be addressed. Take your bike to a tuner or reload your old map.

The 13.9 or 14.6 etc is not a real number you can say is 13.9 to 1 .... it is the desired air / fuel mixture, but that number is completely dependent on other things such as the tables under VE. Volumetric Efficiencies. You can not tune your bike just by playing with the Air Fuel this is not what the race tuner is really about. I would highly recommend again that you either take it back to the tuner or put your old map in place. As an example, you can put 13.6 to 1 in the A/F table then you go back into the back tables and play with the efficiencies to essentially tell the computer how much fuel / air to give / take away to get your fuel curve flat and where you want it.

You can also think of it another way if this was just straight exact A/F you would never really need many more tables in the program other than maybe fuel at start and some timing.

-harry

Old 03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighCompressionHarry

The 13.9 or 14.6 etc is not a real number you can say is 13.9 to 1 .... it is the desired air / fuel mixture, but that number is completely dependent on other things such as the tables under VE. Volumetric Efficiencies.

-harry

harry:

Adding to what you've correctly stated:

Why Would I Want to Adjust the AFR?
If your AFR measurements using a single or two-probe AFR meter indicated a rich or lean AFR condition you should first adjust the VE Front & Rear Cylinder Tuning tables in the Advanced Tuning Mode. The objective is to use the VE Tuning Tables to adjust the fuel delivery so that the measured AFR matches the AFR values in the Air-Fuel Ratio Table in the Advanced Tuning Mode. This procedure will properly set the VE values where they belong for that engine configuration.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the valuable input. Not to question you but "serious issues that may need to be addressed"?? Just by doing what i did may have serious counsequences?? I understand how too lean can be trouble but i went the opposite way. By what you are saying, i am better off just using the O2 sensor closed loop bias adjustment instead of the AFR adj. Can you please give me more specifics to better understand? You can even PM me if you like.

In the mean time, i will reload the canned map until i have a better grasp on what is going on.

Thanks again for chiming in to steer me right!!

Old 03-04-2006, 01:00 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: billybobber

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the valuable input. Not to question you but "serious issues that may need to be addressed"?? Just by doing what i did may have serious counsequences?? I understand how too lean can be trouble but i went the opposite way. By what you are saying, i am better off just using the O2 sensor closed loop bias adjustment instead of the AFR adj. Can you please give me more specifics to better understand? You can even PM me if you like.

In the mean time, i will reload the canned map until i have a better grasp on what is going on.

Thanks again for chiming in to steer me right!!
Closed Loop Bias adjustment is just a starting point to slightly richen up the mixture. It's something you can do that is quick and simple just to add a small amount of fuel across a specific rpm range. It causes the ECM to get a different signal from the 02 sensors and richens things up a slight bit while in closed loop mode. In other words, it's a safe little adjustment that's not going to throw anything out of whack (as long as you don't go overboard) and will add a little fuel to the bike. VE tables still need to be set for the best tune, as does timing and other tables. You can use the SERT at home to make your bike run a lot better, but if you want everything perfect, then a good dyno tune is needed.

I've bumped up the Closed Loop Bias settings on my bike. Next step will be the VE tables, followed by a little bit (very small amount) of timing advance. My data recording is showing zero spark knock retard across the entire RPM range. This should mean that I can bump up the timing a little bit and get better fuel mileage (and maybe better performance). The key is to go one step at a time, make changes in very small increments, and study the data recording charts.

Quick Reply: SERT - need one