Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Modifying pipes, intake and cams - what to get performance..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Nobby
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying pipes, intake and cams - what to get performance..

Hi guys

New member - read as many relevant threads as I can - but need help still.

Bike is 05 1550cc Fatboy with SEII's and Stage 1.

Changing the pipes to Paul Yaffe Supertrapp Phantoms, intake from the stock to a Wimmer 90 degree and the cams to the uprated HD cams for my model.

Local dealer is saying use a V&H Fuelpak but everything I am reading suggests Powercommander III.....

...any help more than welcome.....

Thanks

Nobby

Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Modifying pipes, intake and cams - what to get performance..

I personally would go with the SERT, but the PCIII would be good to. With your mods I would stay away from the fuel pack and get the bike dyno tuned. Makes no sense to have all that money tied up into performance mods just to short yourself in the end by not getting the full potential out of them.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Nobby
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that Cheyenne. Why do you think the SERT over the PCIII?

Cheers

Nobby

Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With me it's more a preference, plus the SERT has the ability to fine tune the bike more then the PCIII. The only thing is you need to make sure what ever shop you take the bike to has experience with the SERT or PCIII otherwise you will be throwing your money away at that shop.

Not everyone has the experience with the SERT as they do with the PCIII.

also here is a bit of info for you..

Indulge me here a sec if you would. First off the PCIII is not capable at this time to set timing other than one setting for both cylinders. The SERT allows the dyno tech to adjust each cylinder independantly. The Power Commander does have the ability to change your rev limiter, but at an extra cost. The reason you would want the HD download is if you put on the Powercommander, pipes and an upgraded Air Cleaner you will be too lean for the standard settings in the ecm. Now say your going down the road and your on a nice long ride and the powercommander chits the bed. Well I wouldnt want to be riding a bike which was known lean from the factory back tot he house after i leaned it up even more putting on the Air Cleaner and pipes.

Now if you take the cost of the PCIII and the Download and figure on the dyno tech is only going to take 2 hours maxx to setup your pcIII since it basically tunes itself with the dynojet 250 they only have to hold the throttle at the throttle positions while it makes the needed changes.

I have had Power Commanders die 2 x so far. Bad luck or whatever you call it I am done with them personally. The other reasons I am against the powercommander is that it lies to the ECM, Its an extra piece of hardware that could go bad, it doesnt change the rev limiter, it doesnt have a decell setting especially for the 06 bikes and people who change pipes.

What it does have over the SERT is that you can tune the bike and change maps and pull the maps from the PC while the bike is running. I wish the SERT did this. The SERT takes more time to tune there is no doubt, but a guy who knows how to do a set A/F and then adjust the bike with volumetric efficiencies will find better numbers than the PCIII each time.

Don't get me wrong lots of guys like the PC and the mobile dyno guys push it because its faster to tune a bike with it, you dont have to be able to correlate volumetrics to run the dyno and they can make more money pushing something that takes less time.

Best of luck with tune,