Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Download for Stage 2 Slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Download for Stage 2 Slip-ons

Posted this in the General Harley Chat too, just hoping for an answer, probably been discussed before, but I brought the bike back to the dealer (not the one I bought it at) with a surging and cold start (stall) problem which I figured was due to the 8 degree injectors. Just got a call back that apperantly when I had the SE stage 2 slip-ons put on, the download they gave me was the street legal download (back in Nov of last year) and that it should have the race download. They told me that the race download wasn't available then so the dealer that did the original download put in the one that HD made available to them.

My question is, was the race download available in Nov of last year or did my dealer screw me by putting in the wrong download?

Next, does the download between the Legal and the Race make that much of a performance difference?

With this download, can I install the SE A/C and keep the same download?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
mtb017
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Download for Stage 2 Slip-ons

First question..Is your bike an 06 model? If so, I ran into a similar problem and shovelhead bob from here got me straightened out. (thanks, shovelhead!). I bought an 06 dyna. It was supposed to have the stage 1 with the race download, SE air cleaner and SE2 slip ons. Bike stalled, coughed and ran like crap. I too thought it was the 8deg injector problem, and they changed them out finally. They then downloaded the 25 deg injector "street " download from digital tech. Bike ran better, but still stalled and coughed some. Bob suggested checking my invoices. Sure enough, the problem was from the very beginning before I bought the bike. They downloaded the "street" stage 1 instead of the "race" download from the beginning. So I probably didnt even need the 25 injectors. Bike went back AGAIN... and the new 25 deg injector stage 1 race "cartridge" download was put in. The bike now runs the way it was supposed to from the start! Hope this helps. Check your invoice and it should show "racecartridge" and part number. If you still think they screwed you, take it to another dealer to have them check your ECM to make sure the right download is in there. Thanks again to Shovelhead Bob for helping me out!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:32 AM
zombie
Banned

Thanks for the reply...I'm sure it is the Legal map in it right now, but I wonder if the race map was available when I purchased the slip-ons. It is an 06 FLSTCI but from what I understand (based on what the dealership is telling me, different dealership than the one that installed the original map) there was no race download available in Nov 05 so the original dealership did install, at the time, what was the correct map.

I'm curious if this is a correct statement.

Also curious if this race map will allow me to install some Big Suckers or SE A/C without having to do another download.

Thanks again MTB.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
mtb017
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The race download is for a 1450cc with Se air cleaner (or Ness or any other performance air cleaner) and slip on free breathing exhaust..ie: SE11's. And yes I think your original dealer, such as mine and many others thought that the proper download was the street download back then. My bike was built in October. Harley has since told dealers that they were putting in the wrong download and for those mods, the correct download is the "race download" which only comes in cartridge form. Somewhere on this section is a post from shovelhead with the correct part numbers for each application. And yes, these cartridges are on backorder all over the country from harley. If you are going to have to pay for a race cartridge though, I would by the SERT instead. $149 for the cartridge, as opposed to about $400 for the SERT. Well worth the extra, and I would have done that instead, but I didnt pay for my "cartridge". Hope this gets you straight.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:38 PM
zombie
Banned

Thanks MTB, that does answer my questions...much appreciated.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:27 PM
JerrySC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'm in a bind now over the slip-ons and SE AC as well. Purchased the SE II slip-ons and put them on and then took the bike to the dealer for the SE AC and the download. They call and say they have installed the AC but the download I need had to be ordered. (So much for planning ahead.) They say it should be here in 5-7 days. I hope so. The bike is parked until I get the download in it. Hope this doesn't turn out to be weeks and weeks.

It's kind of like eating string. I ask for performance slip-ons for my 06 Dyna that are listed in the accessories catalog. The parts guy asks where I got that part number and says what I really need are SE IIs. I ask about download and he says, not needed. I get home and look up the SE II's and it says "Download Required". I call and set up appointment for download and they say you have to have the SE AC to get the download. They put that on and order a race cartridge. So here I am with a bike I can't ride.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:22 PM
zombie
Banned

I road mine for 2000 miles with the legal download...didn't really notice anything except the cold start issue and she was kind of cranky at times. Fortunately my dealer had the stuff in stock and I pick it up tomorrow. I considered the SERT but don't have the funds for it right now. Best of luck Jerry.